Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

142E Questions

Views : 1112

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2009, 23:06   #1
Kyvinaria

Default 142E Questions

I finally managed to pick up a 142- specifically, a 142E. I have some questions about it though.

Firstly, does anyone else here have an actual wood dash in theirs? Mine does, and I've been looking for photo's of it, but to no avail. It looks stock, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, this particular vehicle is an automatic (Ugh). My question here is about the bezel around the gearshift (The plastic bit that says P R N D 2 1 on it). On my car, it's the same one as my 240 Auto. Is this stock, or did they come with a different looking one? It just looks out of place in the interior.

My last question is about the fuel injection system in general. The engine runs well (although there is a crack in the exhaust manifold but I have a replacement. It sounds like a tractor right now though...), but I'd like to know if there is anything out of the ordinary I should watch out for.
Kyvinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:55   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I can't say I've seen one with a real wood dash but pleanty with fake wood. What dash style do you have? With it being an E I would expect it i be a 73/74 car with the same dash as the early 240's.

The gear shift surround is stock - it was continued on to the 240.

Which version of the injection system do you have electronic or mechanical? Odly my brothers GL (injection engine) also had a crack in the original exhaust manifold and had to be replaced.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:41   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

If it's the Bosch D-Jet fuel injection system you could be in for some interesting times!

It's very simple in principle, but there is very little expertise around, parts are hard to come by, and it will exasperate you!

I speak from hard-won experience

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:52   #4
Kyvinaria

Well, the vehicle is a 1972 Model (made in February 1972, should have noted that in the original post...), so the dash is not very close to the early 240's at all.

You can see photo's of the interior/exterior here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32332077@N07/?saved=1

The dash is definitely made of wood. As far as I know, it's got the D-Jetronic system...which is seeming more and more ominous as I hear more about it. The car did come with 2 extra injector's, and some of the sensor's involved, so I hope that those part's will help...
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:23   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Default D-Jet

The D-Jet system is 40-year-old technology, and although it's relatively simple in theory, it's not without it's challenges.

Having said that, for me the whole point of owning a 40-something car is the challenge of understanding it's engineering and being able to use my own resources and ingenuity to keep it running. I do feel though, that a D-Jet car is not now going to be the most reliable form of daily transport, although I am sure now someone will post here to tell me I'm wrong, and that their D-Jet ES is 100% reliable!!!!

There is an excellent article that I have found really useful:

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/efi.htm

In simple terms the system is configured to maintain a constant fuel pressure to the injectors, which in turn are opened and closed according to the demands for power made when the driver presses the gas pedal. This all needs to be timed to co-incide with the ignition of course. The system incorporates a series of sensors, which use analogue voltages to signal key engine conditions to the ECU. The ECU in turn responds by varying the opening and closing of the injectors.

One of the weaknesses of the D-Jet system is that it's only a fuel system, not an engine management system. The ignition side of things is entirely conventional, and really, the only direct interface between the ignition and the fuel systems are the trigger points in the distributor base that tell the fuel ECU when to open the injectors. This means that you've got to keep the ignition system set up just right in the old-fashioned way, with strobe lights, dwell angles and all the paraphenalia of a 1970's motor mechanic - which is of course half the fun of running an old motor!

The key elements of the system are the ECU, the injectors, the pressure regulator, the pressure sensor, the trigger points, the throttle switch, the inlet and coolant temperature sensors, the fuel pump, the auxiliary air valve, and the wiring loom.

It is possible to check pretty much all the system with a good multimeter - and the help of the article above, and a Haynes manual for any B20E-engined car.

I also have a copy of a Bosch fault-finding guide. PM me if you'd like a copy.

My first recommendation would be to sort out the ignition - make sure that evrerything is right - coil, rotor, diss cap, points, leads, plugs etc. Then, make sure that all the fuel lines are clear, that the pump is working properly, and that the filter is clean. Make sure that there is a mesh in place over the pick-up in the tank. Make sure that the regulator is not leaking - or fit a modern after market regulator. Check that the trigger points are OK.

Then you need to examine every connection in the D-Jet wiring loom, repairing and replacing as you go. The ones to the injectors age due to the heat, and the earth strap to the inlet manifold is vital.

Then using the data that is published in the sources mentioned, check all the main D-Jet components (resistances, voltages etc).

With a bit of luck this should all be beneficial. It will certainly help you understand how the system works.

If the ECU, aux air control valve, pressure sensor or throttle switch fail you're in trouble.

Finally, look ultra-carefully at every single hose connection. The D-Jet system is fundamentally dependent upon the inlet manifold vacuum, and any air leaks will really mess it up. Renew all hoses and fix with good quality clips.

In the UK, you can safely do away with the vacuum retard pipe from the manifold to the distributor. The set up is there to meet the US emissions regs of the day, and is of no benefit to the engine running. You may need to check locally about this with the local regulatory authorities.

That you have some spare sensors is good. Hang on to them until you are certain you have a problem. I think with the D-Jet it's best to follow the maxim 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Test and check by all means, but don't be tempted to haul things apart unless you're pretty sure there's a specific problem.

My understanding and experience is that you'll never get a D-Jet car to idle totally smoothly, but that on song, it will give a smooth and responsive drive.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers

Jack (& Monica)

PS: I reckon your dash ain't original - but it looks good!

PPS: Monica is my 72 D-Jet 1800ES.

Last edited by capt jack; May 16th, 2009 at 11:26.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:44   #6
Dylan144GT

Hi

Concerning your dash, it looks like someone has hand crafted that piece to replace the original. A hint to support this theory is that on the right hand side, behind the grab handle, there should be vents for the accessory speaker fitted behind the grab handle. Yours aren't there. I must say it looks nice though.

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:13   #7
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Hi there, nice car!

I agree with all that's said about D-jet.

Don't get worried though, in my experience (two 164Es) it's reliable.

If you get a running problem, don't assume it's the D-jet. Make sure the basics, like ignition, compression, timing and fuel supply are right before blaming the injection syetem.

Oh, and get the injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Jimathon on this forum did mine for me and the idle was noticably smoother afterwards.

Your dashboard has been custom made for the car. Originally it would have been a fake wood finish, like the centre console. You also have the rare, desirable and valuable Volvo Sports instrument set. It all indicates that the car has been cherished by former owners(s), which is a good thing for you!

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 19:19   #8
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyvinaria View Post
I finally managed to pick up a 142- specifically, a 142E. I have some questions about it though.

Firstly, does anyone else here have an actual wood dash in theirs? Mine does, and I've been looking for photo's of it, but to no avail. It looks stock, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, this particular vehicle is an automatic (Ugh). My question here is about the bezel around the gearshift (The plastic bit that says P R N D 2 1 on it). On my car, it's the same one as my 240 Auto. Is this stock, or did they come with a different looking one? It just looks out of place in the interior.

My last question is about the fuel injection system in general. The engine runs well (although there is a crack in the exhaust manifold but I have a replacement. It sounds like a tractor right now though...), but I'd like to know if there is anything out of the ordinary I should watch out for.
I've seen your pics, and if memory serves, that is the same dashboard design fitted to the 164. I have an old brochure somewhere which shows it clearly - must get the search team to work in the spare room

Cheers,

T

p.s. Do hang on to the car, there are very few 140 series on the roads in Canada right now. I do know of a good few laid up in Quebec and Ontario though, ditto early P1800s.

Last edited by T240; Jun 28th, 2009 at 19:20. Reason: edit out
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 22:22   #9
Kyvinaria

Good to hear from another Canadian, T240! I would be very interested in seeing that photo of the 164; it would be very interesting if the interior was indeed from one.

I will be hanging on to her. She's only the 2nd 140 series Sedan I've seen in Canada, and the 3rd 140 series I've ever seen (The 3rd is my parts-car 145, hehe). These cars are especially rare here in Saskatchewan. Not many vintage Volvo's here at all.

If you know of where some P1800's are, do enlighten me, I'd kill to get a hold of one.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 00:24   #10
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyvinaria View Post
Good to hear from another Canadian, T240! I would be very interested in seeing that photo of the 164; it would be very interesting if the interior was indeed from one.

I will be hanging on to her. She's only the 2nd 140 series Sedan I've seen in Canada, and the 3rd 140 series I've ever seen (The 3rd is my parts-car 145, hehe). These cars are especially rare here in Saskatchewan. Not many vintage Volvo's here at all.

If you know of where some P1800's are, do enlighten me, I'd kill to get a hold of one.
Sorry to say I'm a Brit by birth, but the love of my life, goddess of love (unlikely, but she may be reading this, crawl crawl) is from Vancouver. But I do have family in Toronto, and hold a Canadian passport as well, and we shuttle back and forth, so not sure what that makes me - confused

Meanwhile, back on topic. The last time I saw a P1800 come up for sale was a guy I know from Quebec. It was one of the early Jensen built ones and he sold it as a project for about a grand. He had about five on the go at the time.

As for vintage Volvos, quite a few turn out when the Canadian Volvo club have their outings back east. I even saw one of the old pick-ups they call 'tractors'? once or twice.

Also saw a handful of early 240s when we went to the Calgary Stampede last year - so they are out there - just muffled up in garages for half the year I think.

As for me, ashamed to say I don't have a Volvo in Canada yet (got a few over here though); but occasionally get to drive the beloved's mum's 940 estate (wagon). Other times I'm just the crazy guy with the old Alvis the West Van police wave at

I'll try to find that 164 brochure this week.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Jun 29th, 2009 at 00:25. Reason: additional
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote