Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exact Location of Bluetooth Phone Module

Views : 1713

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2019, 22:42   #1
duncanellison

Default Exact Location of Bluetooth Phone Module

Can anyone who's actually set eyes on the Bluetooth Phone Module (BPM) on a V70 P3 advise me where it's normally located.

VIDA says that it's behind the glove box, but points to the RHS of a LHD vehicle in the drawings. The CEM on my vehicle is on the LHS behind the glove box, so I'm expecting that's where the BPM should go too.

For reference, I'm trying to retrofit a second hand BPM to my V70 Plod. I have the required fibre optic cable nicely installed and it's trying to talk to the module.

There SHOULD be a 32 pin plug somewhere to plug it into, but either Volvo didn't fit it to the harness on the Plod versions or I just can't find it. It should be one of those two row tiny pin affairs with the pull over latch.

Before everyone tells me that this is impossible / unlikely to work / going to need a trip to the stealer, this is an exercise in working out just what's possible and since I have hardware design skills and tools, I should be able to make a good fist of this.

FWIW, VIDA reveals that the 32 pin plug only requires ground and power to operate. Since this is a FoMoCo part, I'm guessing that this is more generic than perhaps we think and the other pins on the plug are for other vendor's vehicles.
duncanellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 15:15   #2
duncanellison

Default Update

OK, so no replies yet

So here's a quick update for anyone that wants to follow this.

I completely failed to find the wiring connector for the BPM. Perhaps it's not fitted normally from the factory or perhaps it's on one of the application specific harness stubs that Volvo supplies with the modules (although I've been unable to find an application kit for the BPM - only the generic Bluetooth kit they used to sell).

But I have made some progress. I wired directly to the PCB and supplied power to the BPM (should be IGN circuit so only live when IGN is on).

I also added a Y cable to the MOST fibre from the CD player module.

Now VIDA recognises that there is a BPM on the MOST ring Hooray! and more, it doesn't seem to be throwing up any codes. It can even read the software download codes in the BPM (it's a second hand unit, but I don't know exactly from which vehicle)

But the IAM display still says "This vehicle is not equipped with a phone", so next stage is probably to crack the CEM with VDASH and tell it that it DOES have a phone and see where that goes.

Wish me luck !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duncanellison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 21:00   #3
duncanellison

Default Confirmation of wiring

Finally got the Wiring Diagram out.

Group 39/ Page 164 confirms that there are NO other connections to the BPM other than the optical cable, power and ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to duncanellison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 21:35   #4
ShadeTek
Premier Member

FYI, the fibre optical cale is part of the MOST, Media Optical Systems Transport which is an industry standard protocol for car entertainment systems. It loops around all the audio and visual modules in your car. This won't help you find your module any quicker but makes for interesting reading.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 23:10   #5
duncanellison

Hi Shadetek, thanks for the reply.

Yes that's all correct. And it's certainly true that whilst other vendors use MOST connectors too, their devices won't immediately work on a Volvo without extra effort to 'unlock' the data stream.

However I'm trying to Retrofit a Bluetooth Phone Module where there was none.

In my case the original MOST fibre just went from the CD unit directly to the display module. I solved this by adding in a MOST Y cable which appears to be working.

What I'm really trying to establish is whether or not I'm wasting my time trying to find the plug which comes from (apparently) the passenger fuse box to the BPM. I certainly can't find it, but if I knew exactly where the BPM normally sits, it would give me a clue.
The Following User Says Thank You to duncanellison For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 14:48   #6
mpd79

Default Follow-up

Just wondering did you ever crack the Bluetooth Handsfree retro fit? Cheers, Mike
mpd79 is offline   Reply With Quote