Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800S (2 litre, 1969) For Sale - £8,750

Views : 3231

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:16   #1
christopherdent

Default P1800S (2 litre, 1969) For Sale - £8,750

A lovingly cared for and rare 2-litre version (1969) P1800S for sale. Peacock blue paintwork, fawn brown interior, and the bodywork are all in excellent condition, and is the rest of the car. MOT-ed in late May 2010, and taxed until April 2011. All interior electrics in good working order, as is this car's working clock and original Motorola radio. New black carpet fitted, reconditioned gearbox and carburettors, engine ticks over very nicely. Seatbelts fitted in the rear so able to take children and adults under 5ft 6"! I have owned the car for 9 years, having to sell reluctantly after moving to a new house with no space for a garage. Almost 123,000 miles. Only 3 owners since the late 1980s. Have not had to undertake any major work on the car for the last 6 or 7 years. Runs like a dream. A number of spare parts come with the car, including gearbox, overdrive unit, dashboard, spare interior dial instruments (e.g. clock, oil guage), mudflaps, chrome headlamp rims. Also comes with customised cover and battery trickle-charge unit. Happy to answer any questions. Price £8,750. Email c.m.dent@leeds.ac.uk for more details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9288.jpg (324.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9292.jpg (312.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9289.jpg (302.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9302.JPG (151.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9305.JPG (196.9 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by christopherdent; Jun 14th, 2010 at 11:20.
christopherdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 17:11   #2
amazondean
amazondean

Looking at the photos closely there appears to be something quite wrong with the drivers door. Weather it be fit or problems with the door skin. Or maybe there is something wrong with the sill fit. The rear seams that drops down below the rear lights appear to have been filled in, or is this just the camera angle. the boot does not fit right just where the water drain often gets filled in. Just on the photos that i can see, although the car does seem better than average, i'm affraid it appears too expensive for me. I can't help but think there may be some underlying issues that are lurking under the paint.

Last edited by amazondean; Jun 14th, 2010 at 18:10.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 08:03   #3
brucelee34

AmazonDean: My drivers door does the same, it's where the latch has moved. My boot also sits similar if not worse to this one and my car has no filler.
I remember you spotted problems with the red 1800s on sale here a year back. What exactly do you expect to pay for a car and if you can find a faultless 1800s for 8 thousand then let me know too.
It's not a dig at you , more of a question as to why values differ betwwen people
brucelee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 17:28   #4
amazondean
amazondean

£8750 £8750 £8750 Yep even when i say it to myself a few times, it still tells me that £8750 is a huge amount of money. For me an 1800s for £8750 wants to be in superb condition that needs to look right in the pictures at least. Cars always look far better in pictures than in real life. The cars drivers door is a mile out. I may be wrong i know, but my experience is telling me that there is something not quite right and more than just the latch being out. I had a similar feeling to the said red one and even to this day i feel i was right to dig deeper. That car was being offered for £11000 to start with. I am not trying to pick fault with anyones car. I have potentialy two cars up for sale at the moment and i am ready to answer any critisism that people want to throw at me because i am trying to get someone to part with money. No car is perfect that is a fact but everything has a valuation and for me £8750 is near top money. I dont mean a concours car i mean a car that has bodywork that is right and mechanicals that are spot on. If the price was £5000 i would still be asking the same question because i want to know what is wrong with it. There are a few cars that have been advertised for much more but are struggling to sell and i appreciate that 1800's seem to have gone up in value in the past few years. I have looked at a number of 1800's and from 20 years of classic car fiddling i think i can honestly say that the 1800 is one of the most grossely bodged up sports cars i have had dealings with, allowing the painter and decorator to "make good".

At the end of the day someone is selling, and for near top money and because of this they have to answer these questions. The car may be far better than i suspect, if so then thats great, but there is no reason why i should not question what i feel is not right. We are not talking about someone showing their car off. I would not be asking these sorts of questions if that was the case. This car is up for inspection visualy and verbaly and buyer be ware every time!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 20:15   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I'll agree with Dean here, that drivers door and sill looks way out. Maybe the photos are deceiving but it's good guys like Dean to be pointing this stuff out and it might save a less experienced person buying a car that isn't what they thought. I've been there!!!

My opinion regarding price is a P1800 in excellent condition without rust in the usual places and in good mechanical condition is worth £8750 but if there is rust in the doors and sills there will be rust in a lot of other places and is not worth anything like that price, as to repair these areas will cost...
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 21:02   #6
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Oh Christ, Dean thinks he can see some filler. (I can imagine the Hulk - esque transformation from here in Manchester). Tin hats and goggles on lads. Get ready for some sanctimonious rhetoric.

Do you have to phrase your posts like that? Perhaps I'm just reading it wrong. I'd agree though, a touch pricey.

We get it, Dean. We understand you've seen lots of old cars. We know you can build and restore cars to a very high standard. Do you have to be so arrogant about it? You can get across that you think something is wrong with the car without being so massively negative and derogatory.

Forums fail on received tone. I think I might stop posting here to be honest. I'll let you know when I receive my magnet and filler in the post sir.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 21:32   #7
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherdent View Post
A lovingly cared for and rare 2-litre version (1969) P1800S for sale. Peacock blue paintwork, fawn brown interior, and the bodywork are all in excellent condition, and is the rest of the car. MOT-ed in late May 2010, and taxed until April 2011. All interior electrics in good working order, as is this car's working clock and original Motorola radio. New black carpet fitted, reconditioned gearbox and carburettors, engine ticks over very nicely. Seatbelts fitted in the rear so able to take children and adults under 5ft 6"! I have owned the car for 9 years, having to sell reluctantly after moving to a new house with no space for a garage. Almost 123,000 miles. Only 3 owners since the late 1980s. Have not had to undertake any major work on the car for the last 6 or 7 years. Runs like a dream. A number of spare parts come with the car, including gearbox, overdrive unit, dashboard, spare interior dial instruments (e.g. clock, oil guage), mudflaps, chrome headlamp rims. Also comes with customised cover and battery trickle-charge unit. Happy to answer any questions. Price £8,750. Email c.m.dent@leeds.ac.uk for more details.
Nice car mate and ignore those people who have no wish to buy but only pick at it.
As for value its what someone is prepared to pay and it looks like its onthe money. Compare what you can buy in the classic market for similar money.
Also the best version of the 1800 with the B20 engine, dual cct brakes and retaining the original dash and looks.
As for seams that are filled in my view is so much the better as long as it is done correctly.
Im sure that Pelle Pettersons original drawings did not show a set of seams on the rear wings or sills and I made the decision when I had a bare metal to lead load and paint over. Far better for it as well and reduces the risk of moisture penetration.
Again apologies for others who have no wish to buy but only to critique.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 21:39   #8
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
At the end of the day someone is selling, and for near top money and because of this they have to answer these questions. The car may be far better than i suspect, if so then thats great, but there is no reason why i should not question what i feel is not right. We are not talking about someone showing their car off. I would not be asking these sorts of questions if that was the case. This car is up for inspection visualy and verbaly and buyer be ware every time!!!
If youre not buying dont bother with your opinion. The guy has put this in the sale section for those interested. If they are interested they will view and decide then.
Im with Jakobandhismakrov Im seriously thinking about leaving this forum due to the unfounded derogatory tone of some people
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 22:00   #9
brucelee34

I agree with Dean on one point, a car needs to not be a rustbucket to command top money. However, original cars will have some show of age and as long as it isn't rust and just things like a worn latch where the door sticks out and a slight warping of the boot like mine and the original posters then fine. The 1800s is undervalued and by far the 64-67 cars should be commanding near five figure sums for good examples.
for once how about asking some questions about the car before giving a damning AA style report that quite frankly, to make judgement from simply looking at a few pictures, is quite absurd.

It would be a pity if members of this forum went elsewhere due to arrogance or attitude. The knowledge and help on this site is down to a collective of all the postings from all the members and at the end of the day we should be leaving the damnation and negatives to the Honda civic and ford cosworth forums.
brucelee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 22:01   #10
amazondean
amazondean

If there is a car for sale and i make comment, it is because i might be interested in buying it. Or maybe someone else who has no idea might be interested in others views as to potential issues. This forum is not just to comment on how fantastic something is, but also to be informative to others. I have not made judgement on anything other than what i can see, and i am questioning it if something does not look right to me. I am not pulling the car down, i am trying to work out what and why something appears to be not right. No car is perfect so i don't see the problem with questioning something that appears not to be right. There is probably a good explanation and the seller is the best person to ask, dont you think!!

I am not interested in the good bits but the bad bits and every car has them, so that is what i am doing. There is no point in wasting time on the good bits.

I have never restored a car to pristine condition in my life. I have had my fingers burnt on a couple of occasions in the past and have tried to learnt how to buy good cars at the right price. Not a cheap price but the right price. So i am afraid i will defend myself all day long and we can discuss it all night long if you like. I have no problem with any cars condition, i have had cars in all conditions. Its when they are for sale is when it becomes very serious. Are you guys prepared to spend thousends and thousends of pounds to then need to spend a further life changing amount of money a couple of years later putting it right because all your interested in is shiny paint.