Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front strut overhaul

Views : 1082

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 08:58   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default Front strut overhaul

I'm wanting to tidy up the handling of my 940, so will be buying the iPd anti-roll bars soon. The PO has already replaced the coil springs, but I'm thinking of replacing the dampers and while I'm at it the top mount and bearing etc. I *may* fit Kilen lowering springs, but I'm undecided about that at the moment.

So a few questions come to mind -

1. Damper brands. I usually buy Volvo, Sachs, or Boge dampers but its easier to get KYB and Meyle - is anyone running these? If so what are they like? I don't like Monroe or Spax and I think Bilstein are a bit firm for what I'm after.

2. Strut top mount & bearing - is there a useful upgrade for these parts? I know on the 850 people recommend the XC90 strut top mount, I was wondering if there is a similar 'upgrade' for the 940? Maybe S90 parts? Same question about the recommended brands too

Thanks as always
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 09:24   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've used KYB once before and had no issues but it wasn't on a Volvo.

Go the whole hog and get Gaz GT dampers so you can adjust them to how you like

I'm not aware of any upgraded Volvo top mounts but that's not to say there are any, Dai does a camber and caster adjustable top mount that are essentially the same price as new genuine Volvo ones.

When I did my front suspension recently I bought TRW top mounts (you've seen the pictures in WhatsApp) but they had what appeared to be a groove linishes in to rubber and one wasn't even bonded to the top mount properly so they went straight back (made in Taiwan). I would get genuine Volvo if I were to go for standard ones,.but tbh I reused my 197k mile ones as they had ver little wear to them.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 09:28   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've used KYB once before and had no issues but it wasn't on a Volvo.

Go the whole hog and get Gaz GT dampers so you can adjust them to how you like

I'm not aware of any upgraded Volvo top mounts but that's not to say there are any, Dai does a camber and caster adjustable top mount that are essentially the same price as new genuine Volvo ones.

When I did my front suspension recently I bought TRW top mounts (you've seen the pictures in WhatsApp) but they had what appeared to be a groove linishes in to rubber and one wasn't even bonded to the top mount properly so they went straight back (made in Taiwan). I would get genuine Volvo if I were to go for standard ones,.but tbh I reused my 197k mile ones as they had ver little wear to them.

I refurbed all that recently and went for Gen Volvo from FRF
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 11:31   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks both.

I did see Dai's adjustable top mounts but I think that might be a step too far for me - I wouldn't know how to set them up properly

I do plan on doing the ghetto camber mod* though, it seems a good time to do it while the struts are out. I'll just rotate the upper mount until the raised section is just clear of the inner wing 'hat' - that should give me enough camber to avoid outer edge tyre scrub/wear on the wider tyres I'm planning...

*This is actually recommended in a Volvo Technical Service document which I have attached for those interested.

Griston, yes I'll get a quote from FRF for everything bar the springs - I'm probably going to replace the springs with Kilen lowering springs because I'm not convinced the PO has fitted the correct springs anyway - they are really soft, and I know he previously has fitted incorrect parts (remember the 700 series alternator...? )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wheel-alignment-qx14846.pdf (65.0 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 12:21   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I guess I'm getting impatient in my old age - I've just ordered some KYB gas dampers and a Lesjofors 40mm lowering spring kit (the Kilen kit seems to be sold out across Europe!). As Lesjofors and Kilen are basically the same company I'm assuming they'll be equally good quality.

Just need to get the top mounts now - I'll probably go to FRF for those.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 14:38   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I'm wanting to tidy up the handling of my 940, so will be buying the iPd anti-roll bars soon. The PO has already replaced the coil springs, but I'm thinking of replacing the dampers and while I'm at it the top mount and bearing etc. I *may* fit Kilen lowering springs, but I'm undecided about that at the moment.

So a few questions come to mind -

1. Damper brands. I usually buy Volvo, Sachs, or Boge dampers but its easier to get KYB and Meyle - is anyone running these? If so what are they like? I don't like Monroe or Spax and I think Bilstein are a bit firm for what I'm after.

2. Strut top mount & bearing - is there a useful upgrade for these parts? I know on the 850 people recommend the XC90 strut top mount, I was wondering if there is a similar 'upgrade' for the 940? Maybe S90 parts? Same question about the recommended brands too

Thanks as always
I'm running KYB dampers at both ends of the Valdez; I don't like knowing which way up a pound coin was when I drive over it, and the car doesn't get driven hard anyway so the stock suspension is fine.

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Jul 22nd, 2023 at 14:39. Reason: Mising leters
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 14:44   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Someone did the camber mod and lowered their 940 and it absolutely ruined the handling due to too much camber, you'll probably find lowering it sorts the camber out by itself.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 15:07   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I guess I'm getting impatient in my old age - I've just ordered some KYB gas dampers and a Lesjofors 40mm lowering spring kit (the Kilen kit seems to be sold out across Europe!). As Lesjofors and Kilen are basically the same company I'm assuming they'll be equally good quality.

Just need to get the top mounts now - I'll probably go to FRF for those.
I did Lesjofors 40mm lowering all round with B4's. That with the Viking chassis brace makes it perfect for me

I got a spare set of struts from a 940 that I broke, had them blasted and powdercoated and then built them up with all my new stuff. The job then is just a swap in I did same with all lower arms as well
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 10:19   #9
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Someone did the camber mod and lowered their 940 and it absolutely ruined the handling due to too much camber, you'll probably find lowering it sorts the camber out by itself.
I never thought of that - of course lowering it will change the camber... doh! Thanks for that. One job less to do

Griston, yes that would be ideal but I don't think SWMBO would appreciate yet more used spare parts going into the garage - we can hardly get in there as it is. I still have a set of Omega wheels in there remember along with some LandRover parts that I'll have to get rid of soon, I've been meaning to sell those for...years!
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 11:52   #10
volvo always
Premier Member

Hope you don't mind me asking a question here.

I am going to be replacing my front dampers due to one leaking and noticed my front disks have no brake backing plates. How much more of a job would it be to fit new backing plates?

Many thanks. James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: