Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Erratic indicators

Views : 1601

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 20:33   #11
Quacker
Premier Member

Nothing has 'failed'. The indicators work perfectly. Their tick-tock is generated by software and the occasional half-click, or whatever it is that it does, is there probably to add 'character' to the vehicle and to keep you alert. I don't find it to be the least annoying and do find the tick-tocks to be the best on any car I've had since the Jaguar XK8, which were also software generated back in 1997. So it's nothing new.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 22:06   #12
OV4

My XC60 also has the erratic indicator tick-tock thing going on. I’ve not taken the car back to the dealer yet, but I’ll be mentioning it when the car goes in for service.

It’s irritating, and it’s disappointing that such an expensive and complex vehicle can’t reliably get such a simple thing right.

Last edited by OV4; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 22:09. Reason: Further detail
OV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 22:21   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I quite like it. It adds something to the car.

I also have a crack which goes halfway across the screen which did annoy me at first but I am growing rather fond of that too.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 22:34   #14
sammyblackbaron

Thanks everyone for your replies. To me, it's not acceptable in any car. It doesn't just miss the odd beat, sometimes it's a pause followed by a faster series of clicks that appear to be it "catching up".

I'll ask about it in a couple of months at the free service and see what they say. Having said that, it was in about two weeks ago for a belated PDI and that didn't solve anything.

Last edited by sammyblackbaron; Jul 24th, 2018 at 00:00.
sammyblackbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 16:40   #15
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
The OP is right, it is embarrassing for such an expensive car.
Unfortunately, I suspect Nu11eaf and Lexman8 are correct and the sound is software generated, and as we all know computers and software are glitchy.
Modern cars are now so dependent on computers that we must expect glitches, which doesn't make it "normal" as Nu11eaf suggests, but rather that our expectations of perfection, even in an expensive car, should be lowered as a result.
I believe the luxury marques such as Bentley and RR still use mechanical analogue clocks, probably as a sign of luxury and perhaps also for reliability so as to avoid these glitches?
If you find that embarrassing you probably need to get a life, mine does it, no one has ever said 'omg your indicators are not ticking in time, how lame of your car'
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 17:49   #16
S90
IT Guru

Also, RR and Bentley use BMW and VW systems as standard, so nothing analogue about them, the indicators will be a generated sound, but they probably pay a little more attention to the clicking consistency than mainstream manufacturers.

But, RR's and Bentleys are not without their faults, you cannot build something as complex as a modern car and expect it to be perfect, its not possible.