Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed

Views : 2799

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2018, 09:34   #21
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Throttle position switch TPS

If the ICV does not work properly, also check the TPS on the throttle housing. When idling (not touching the throttle pedal), the orange wire (pin 1) should be earthed via the black wire on pin 2.
Rversteeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:41   #22
Gareth2510

Thanks to all for your help & information. Il try another icv & see what happens. Spose this should teach me a lesson with buying cheaper parts as its the only non genuine part that i have replaced thats failed.
Gareth2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:44   #23
Gareth2510

Tps shows increasing voltage when back probed and put through movement. But i do have a spare tps in my box should the original fail.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:46   #24
Jimsiss

It might not have failed, if you still have the original clean it out with something to break down any oil in it and then give it a go again. The originals rarely fail,they are also a generic Bosch part so are used on other makes and models of car.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:54   #25
Gareth2510

Yeah im just about to try the original one just to see if it clears the code however i think this one is toast. Neither of them are seized though and go through full movement.
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:12   #26
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There you go Ash - Pg 26, item 7/75 :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ction-3-39.pdf
I disagree. Take a look at the diagram and the explanatory note top centre on Page 26.

7/75 is the bulb failure sense resistor. Its shown simplified. In other diagrams, it is shown as a part of other bulb circuits. Its shown in the electrical distribution box on page 126 (just next to the fuel pump relay position)

The dim/dip voltage is electronically reduced by the electronic regulator component 2/3.

Unless the system had some form of modification or downgrade in later years, I don't know what the long resistor does, but its not dim/dip voltage reduction.

Last edited by aardvarkash10; May 16th, 2018 at 10:20.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:44   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're right Ash, i was still half asleep when i added that, maybe why i TARFU'd it!

*** EDIT *** i have seen a dim-dip resistor used on other cars including Volvos so maybe they did add it in there and change that regulator for a dim-dip relay. You know what they say "Volvo reserve the right to change specifications etc"

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 16th, 2018 at 10:47.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:50   #28
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're right Ash, i was still half asleep when i added that, maybe why i TARFU'd it!

*** EDIT *** i have seen a dim-dip resistor used on other cars including Volvos so maybe they did add it in there and change that regulator for a dim-dip relay. You know what they say "Volvo reserve the right to change specifications etc"
A resistor would not make sense in that use anyway - the voltage drop would change too significantly if a filament went open circuit on one side, or if different wattage bulbs were fitted.

I strongly suspect the long resistor is something else, not related to the lighting circuits
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:09   #29
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default 0.9 Ohm resistor

It is actually item 7/46, a plain resistor, nothing else to it and it IS the one in the picture.

About the ICV, just ground pin 1 of the TPS and start the engine. Just to be sure...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 wiring diagram.pdf (420.6 KB, 5 views)
Rversteeg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:35   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
It is actually item 7/46, a plain resistor, nothing else to it and it IS the one in the picture.
Thanks Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
A resistor would not make sense in that use anyway - the voltage drop would change too significantly if a filament went open circuit on one side, or if different wattage bulbs were fitted.

I strongly suspect the long resistor is something else, not related to the lighting circuits
You're right Ash and that has been the primary cause of failure of many dim-dip systems. It's how it's usually done though.

That's a much simpler system but still uses a simple wirewound resistor mounted on an aluminium heatsink bolted below the LH headlamp on the car that diagram pertains to. Many others were done in a similar way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote