Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wtf Volvo?!..

Views : 6011

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 19:54   #21
Bernard F

I cannot fault my SatNav, i always arrive at my destination, I love the ability to enter the route from my VOC app the night before and updates arrive OTA without problem.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 23:35   #22
MaDProFF
Master Member

@GoodShot, that is the problem people have to use it door step to door step, that is when it goes pear shape.

It amuses me when it has an ETA of say 40 mins, and you turn off to go another way and it has to recalculate and the journey goes down to 35 mins, so why did it not try and go that way in the first place if set to fastest route time?
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 07:40   #23
Tresco85

I have never seen a message come up to say about changing the route due to a problem on the existing route, it came up all the time on the old xc60 but haven never seen anything on the new one, I have real time traffic on as well.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 07:47   #24
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
I have never seen a message come up to say about changing the route due to a problem on the existing route,
I think it is a setting to allow for altenative routes (perhaps including auto/ask).
It happend to us when we were driving to Denmark, the Danes do border checks and this leads to long ques.
But traffic then became busy on the alternative route as well, so we decided to ignore it, hoping the police
would take a lunch break by the time we made it to the border. And they did

Last edited by gaby; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 07:50.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 10:22   #25
Chief inspector
Master Member

The problem with any sat navv re-routing is that it usually pulls you off trunk routes with reported heavy traffic onto routes with a million traffic lights that it assumes are clear because there arent any reports, these are of course now full of the re-routed sat nav drivers.....

My 2018 V90 comes up with these messages, never had one yet though that shows any being slower, I suspect that it was updated after it thought it was a good idea.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:02   #26
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
What I meant is you could use an Android phone
Meh.. let’s not turn this into a “android is better than iphone” discussion..

I bought a €70K car with one of the most advanced infotainment systems out there- and I should be using my phone to navigate me from point A to point B using the fastest route?.. C’mon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted View Post
Yes I agree. I find the German cars have much better sat nav systems..
True- I must admit- as much as Volvo SPA cars are currently superior to any german brand when it comes to interior quality- they lag behind Audi and MB when it comes to navi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
We do grow into these things as we become familiar with them of course. They are all very clever and useful once the time and effort is expended to understand them properly.
No man- I don’t want to learn to be taking a longer/slower route.. this is clearly a bad design.. And when I reject a proposed route- that means “Do not propose me the same crap again!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2funky View Post
Thankfully, Waze and GMaps are coming to iOS 12 this September. In the meantime, I have to carry Android phone just for Waze.
Yeah, I heard the same- iOS 12 will sure make the price I paid for Apple CarPlay worthwile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
Not sure what most folk want from a sat nav
How about to take me from A to B using the fastest route- rather than proposing me to drive around local roads to kill an extra 20 min of my life?

Or maybe when i reject the proposed crap of an alternative route- not to disturb me anymore proposing the same crappy route that I just rejected 2 min ago?

Possibly even- what google maps or waze do- give me an alternative route to avoid a traffic jam- and save me the wait?

Am I asking for too much?
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:18   #27
Quacker
Premier Member

Ive had Sensus propose alternative routes many times, with the option to accept or decline. Can’t honestly say I find much wrong with it. I use several vehicles with satellite navigation, so I do compare like with like.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:48   #28
TonyB65

I use google maps with google voice on my phone, its fantastic, I have it connected via Bluetooth to a cheap but very good Bluetooth speaker and controller connected to my sun visor. It will switch itself on when it senses you have got in the car and pairs up straight away with my phone. I can then tell my phone to open google maps and tell it the address I want to go to and it will sort it in seconds. Need to get petrol/diesel quickly, just ask it where the nearest garage is etc etc. When I leave the car it switches itself, battery life is 600 hours standby, you can even change the battery so you never need to worry about not having power, just brilliant. I'd never buy an in car satnav, nothing beats the versatility of this setup for me.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:52   #29
Crockers
Premier Member

Sounds like Android auto or Apple CarPlay after the iOS upgrade in the wings
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 16:06   #30
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post

How about to take me from A to B using the fastest route- rather than proposing me to drive around local roads to kill an extra 20 min of my life?

Or maybe when i reject the proposed crap of an alternative route- not to disturb me anymore proposing the same crappy route that I just rejected 2 min ago?

Possibly even- what google maps or waze do- give me an alternative route to avoid a traffic jam- and save me the wait?

Am I asking for too much?
Each to his own. I'm not generally concerned with the A bit as I know the general way. All I really require is the guidance around B, and then usually away from B.

My wife and kids need A to B as their British geography is terrible.

Been used to Audi and JLR sat navs for the last 15 years, but appreciate the point that systems in £60k + cars should be best systems available and do the A to B as per your requirements.

They used to be a bit of a novelty but that has worn off now and I use them the least amount possible.