Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just Bought an XC70 - Things to do

Views : 592

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:04   #1
Namastebuzz

Default Just Bought an XC70 - Things to do

So, Her Indoors wrote off the S80 and I had to find a replacement. Was really after a V70 but this XC70 kept popping up as the best car in the price range with a massive service history, obsessive previous owners and all the preventative measures taken that you'd hope for. The seller was a lovely bloke - he was only forced to sell due to a medical condition that had caused his licence to be revoked. The only problem was, it was in Devon and we're in Aberdeenshire(!).

However, two of our foster kids have relatives in Cornwall so we decided a little flight for them and a road trip home was in order.

54 Plate (EurIII) D5 SE Geartronic with 161k in a nice Bronze with 4 nearly new Goodyears. The only notes were a faulty CD player in the HU-850 and a cracked seat trim surround. I retained the working HU-850 from the S80 and £30 on eBay solved the seat trim. Seemed reasonable for £1100.

Anyway after some pleasant trips round Cornwall and a 664 mile drive home I was impressed by the XC70. It had also been re-mapped and has plenty of oomph. Drove perfectly.

What to do?

The huge service file with polypockets for every bill ever and every part fitted told me the following:

ATF fluid changed 4 times - 36k, 70k, 112k, 148k
Cambelt/Tensioner/Waterpump 112k
Auto Transaxle/Torque Converter/4WD Unit changed at 70k - £4,112
Handbrake Shoes last changed at 150k
Coolant last changed 130k
Brake Fluid Changed 112k
Coolant Last changed 130k
Oil/Filters Last changed 160k

The things I didn't find.

No mention of the auxiliary/fan belt ever being changed. I guess that's high on the list?
Power steering fluid never mentioned either but that's a simple DIY.
AC runs cold enough but the seller said it was due a service. The passenger control doesn't change the temp at all but that's an annoyance rather than anything else.

Anything else?
Namastebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 17:54   #2
jgjones095
Master Member

Check the front suspension rear suspension and wishbone bushes.

Have you vida to hook it up too for scanning the codes?

Honestly enjoy it while it works!

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jgjones095 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:24   #3
oragex
Premier Member

The first thing to inspect on these D5 with over 130k miles is the serpentine belt pulleys - all of them including the compressor one, replace only with genuine or known good brands. Failure of these pulleys will break the D5 engine

Other than that, it's a good find with all those transmission fluid change and awd repair
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 07:40   #4
Namastebuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgjones095 View Post
Check the front suspension rear suspension and wishbone bushes.
!
Wishbone bushes (F+R) done at 139k

Don't have access to Vida though.

I'll get all the pulleys inspected when having the belt done - or do it myself, depending on time.

Thanks for the input.
Namastebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote