Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wtf Volvo?!..

Views : 6015

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:11   #11
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I find this "crap-nav" good enough.
I was hoping for a vast improvement, though some posters' comments would indicate otherwise.

When approaching a roundabout, the old system would simply say "Take the third exit".
Does the new system now add "onto A6135 towards somewhere" ?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:13   #12
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I love my XC60- and the main reason I bought it was the fact that I loved my V60 before it.. The one thing I just hated on the old V60 was the navi alternate route suggestions.. they just plain sucked - often times completely bollocks..

Well.. the XC60 continues the tradition..

“Would you like to drive for an extra mile in order to waste 18 minutes of your life?” And after I reject it- it will pop up another 50 times or so..

I live for the day I’ll be able to run google Maps on Sensus via Apple CarPlay..

Yes I agree. I find the German cars have much better sat nav systems. Some of my friends tell me to use the phone for navigation but I am just too lazy to having to plug the phone in and attach to the dashboard each time I get into the car...
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:16   #13
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I was hoping for a vast improvement, though some posters' comments would indicate otherwise.

When approaching a roundabout, the old system would simply say "Take the third exit".
I get: “Take the first exit and follow the A9”, for example.

tem.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 13:42   #14
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think so, but I'm not sure not sure,I'll pay attention next time
All I really know is that it (or rather she) tells me enough to guide me to my destination.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 13:46   #15
WhatNext?

Talking

What I meant is you could use an Android phone
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 14:22   #16
Considered1
Premier Member

I find WAZE app on my phone is the best, always updated and real time data shared by other users, never lets me down so I don’t even bother with the inbuilt manufacturers sat Nav and wouldn’t pay a car manufacturer to fit one again!

I think Apple car play is due an update in the autumn to give folks true mirroring to their onboard/inbuilt unit to access Waze etc.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 14:43   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Mk1 XC90 version was probably worse!
It's as if the Volvo folks had never seen a TomTom or Garmin.
I've always referred to it as the Volvo "Crap-Nav".
I've had two Garmin. A stand alone unit that used to drive me mad by announcing that it was 're-routing' many times a day. The one in my latest Honda CRV, which I've only had a few days but whose graphics look as if they are meant for primary school children. Not sure yet whether the latest one is actually better at routing than the earlier version was.

I find nothing much wrong with the Volvo Sensus navigation. It does the job and is easy to look at and use. So was my previous Honda's and the one fitted to my [daughter's] Nissan Qashqai is not too shabby either.
The head unit fitted to the current Honda CRV is amazingly complex and makes the Sensus unit on Volvo look really really good and simple to use in comparison.

I had no difficulty getting to grips with Sensus or its navigation but the Honda's is perplexing to say the least, even though it is only a head unit and doesn't actually control or adjust the car itself like the Sensus does.

We do grow into these things as we become familiar with them of course. They are all very clever and useful once the time and effort is expended to understand them properly.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 14:44   #18
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I find WAZE app on my phone is the best, always updated and real time data shared by other users, never lets me down so I don’t even bother with the inbuilt manufacturers sat Nav and wouldn’t pay a car manufacturer to fit one again!

I think Apple car play is due an update in the autumn to give folks true mirroring to their onboard/inbuilt unit to access Waze etc.
Now THAT would make CarPlay worth having.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 16:03   #19
2funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post

I live for the day I’ll be able to run google Maps on Sensus via Apple CarPlay..
Thankfully, Waze and GMaps are coming to iOS 12 this September. In the meantime, I have to carry Android phone just for Waze.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 16:26   #20
Goodshot

Not sure what most folk want from a sat nav. All mine needs to be able to do is find an address when I type it in five to ten minutes from the destination.