Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo SPA2 plans vs BMW vision for the future (CEO resigns)

Views : 1376

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:31   #1
jonnyu

Default Volvo SPA2 plans vs BMW vision for the future (CEO resigns)

From the latest developments that dated back to 2018, Volvo has strong partners engaged on the development of the SPA2 platform:
-LG Chem and CATL are the new partners supplying batteries
-They will electrify all their range starting in 2019
-Nvidia is the technological partner for the autonomous driving level 4, possibly leading to Volvo being the first production car with level 4 autonomous driving in the market
-Google is being another technological partner for their future infotainment system.

In terms of security and technology, Volvo presents a solid strategy and may become the world's first in may aspects.

However, this has not been the case for BMW.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20...-specs-release

BMW has failed to bring to the market proper strategy or solutions for the upcoming electric revolution. In fact this is one of the main reasons why Krueger resigned. Quoting the article: "He delayed BMW’s first long-range EV, which reportedly led to an exodus of talent in that field. Sales of the i3 stumbled. He also doubled down on internal combustion engine cars at a time when European countries moved to restrict or outright ban them, especially diesels. Amid all of this, the company still lost market share to rivals like Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz."

Even if BMW starts right now to define a strategy for the future, it comes 2 years too late. I'm sure that with their economic power they will be able to turn it around but still not sure how they will stand against Audi, Volvo and Mercedes in these following transition years.

Sales from BMW are already tumbling and they have been for a few months. I remember when I wanted to buy my car that I could get a 30% discount from a brand new BMW, the highest discount from all the available brands (Mercedes 15%, Audi 20%, Volvo 18%,...).

So what is your opinion regarding brands like BMW and their future strategy against Volvo?