Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Throttle position Module - need collective thoughts

Views : 495

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 10:49   #1
SWATIk

Default Throttle position Module - need collective thoughts

Aloha everyone.
Story short - bought in September 2007 Volvo S40 T5 (AT) with 162k miles on it with a couple of error codes (Throttle and Accelerator pedal) and a broken oil pan as a small project for myself.
- Oil pan replaced, no issues.
- Accelerator Pedal fixed. Some stupid fella plugged in connector to Throttle body upside down. After connecting how it should be Accelerator pedal DTC is a history. Never saw it again.
- Throttle body - have been fighting for 2 months, and almost lack of ideas.

Currently VIDA shows 4 errors related to Throttle Body Unit:
ECM 9200 TP sensor faulty signal
ECM 921C Throttle unit potentiometer 1 signal too high
ECM 922D Throttle unit potentiometer 2 signal too low
ECM 9270 Throttle valve - Faulty signal
ECM 92CC throttle unit signal too high
  • I disassembled the unit and noticed that tracks were too bad but it worked so I bought another one used. Installed it but nothing has changed. The new unit inside looks good (see pics).
  • I've checked wirings from TPS to ECM and nothing shorted. I've checked CEM module - no water damage, no rust, nothing. Replaced all fuses. Literally each one of them.
  • I've checked pins on CEM and ECM - no damage.
  • All pins related to Pedal/Throttle I slightly compressed (yeah, I know that terminals are bad and better to replace them).
  • All CEM pins, CEM, ECM pins, TPM, TPM pins are cleaned.
  • I thought maybe it is MAF, cleaned (with connector) but no results.
  • All wires looks intact ...
but I still have these issues related to TBM and ''Reduced engine performance' notification on a dashboard.
Accelerator pedal tested in VIDA and shows 80% (I think this is fine, no?).

My last theory is that CEM is dying or dead, because when I read car with Vida and ignition ON everything is OK, but if launch a car 3/4 of a car's modules turn in red, dozens of DTCs, car behaves like crazy -wipers ON/Off, dashboard shuts off, ABS, SRS, Immo, Brake failure, doesn't give the key - all of these pops up but never re-appear after erase. Only if I read a idling car with VIDA.

Car is starting, idling OK, takes up to 1700 RPM max and no further. It is not like I can't take it to the repair shop. For me it is more like a challenge. I would appreciate any ideas where to look. And yeah, PCV is totally screwed - lot's of smoke comes if open oil filling cap but I don't think this might be an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0059 Large.jpeg (295.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0060 Large.jpeg (269.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9902 Large.jpeg (335.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9904 Large.jpg (65.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by SWATIk; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 10:58.
SWATIk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 06:59   #2
SWATIk

Fixed. Car is up and running.
SWATIk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 07:11   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi.
That was quick.
What did you find and what was the fix??
Might be useful to others.
I had various "CAN" issues on my V50. I ended up changing the 6 data pins in the CEM plugs and also the Accelerator plug pins. I think I also replaced 1 data wire between the accelerator pedal and the CEM.

Last edited by IainG; Dec 14th, 2023 at 07:16.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 14:44   #4
eric19371
Clueless

I did the same as IainG on my wife's S40 and it has solved the same issue but it did give an error shortly afterwards and I am tempted to replaced the pins on the throttle body.

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote