Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 14465

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2018, 13:57   #101
57RKL

I dont want a forum ban like last year due to your offensive posts so its my last reply on the matter.
You're the one on the forum 24/7 not me. You're the one trying to have a 3 man meet because you cant integrate at the national with me and everyone else and i'm the loser ?? I will be in my 940.

Last edited by 57RKL; Jun 20th, 2018 at 15:55. Reason: Spelling
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 14:39   #102
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Jon - stop it. If you think someone is a troll, don't reply to them. It's that simple.

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 15:26   #103
57RKL

Default 740s at BKV

I would genuinly love to see a better turn out of 740/760s at this years BKV. I went two years ago in my 240 of which there were many. I recall a lonely 740 and a couple of 940s hence I'm polishing up my 945 next week to show some solidarity for the section. Hope for a good turnout with the great weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 18:42   #104
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I don't understand why 7 series cars are in the Doldrums at present but applaud both 'Prufrock''s and 'Laid Scooby''s efforts in reviving interest in the marque. I - for one - would happily support a 7 series gathering, just as I supported the 3 series one in my 745, when I was made to feel very welcome.

We have attended the 'National' or 'BKV' most years since the late '80s. We have always been asked on arrival if we were showing our car, but have always declined, as our cars are very much working vehicles.

Now, I am aware of 'Laird Scooby''s take on 'show' cars and accept that he has a point, but my 745 would have been an embarrassment! It lived outside, wasn't washed as often as it should have been, and functioned as a 'carry-all' as Volvo intended. A 'show' car it most assuredly was not!

We did join the 'line-up' as invited a year or two ago, but did not enter the 'BKV'. Perhaps ours was the lone 745 that '57RKL' recalls? Maybe as time goes on these fine cars will achieve the recognition that they clearly merit, although earlier series - notably 1s and 2s - definitely seemed to 'come of age' sooner. I think the only scruffy car that would not be out of place in the show ring for some strange reason is an Amazon Estate!

Hopefully, we too will be at Hatton again this year, this time in our V70 - which we will most definitely not be showing!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jun 20th, 2018 at 18:47.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 18:49   #105
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Now, I am aware of 'Laird Scooby''s take on 'show' cars and accept that he has a point, but my 745 would have been an embarrassment! It lived outside, wasn't washed as often as it should have been, and functioned as a 'carry-all' as Volvo intended. A 'show' car it most assuredly was!
Just to make things clear as John has taken some of my views/comments on show cars ever so slightly out of context so nobody gets confused, upset or otherwise, show cars or "trailer queens" as i like to call them have their place and are a credit to their owners.

However, while i've always felt that while there is a place for trailer queens, equally there has to be a place for a "properly used classic", in other words exactly how John has described his own vehicle above - hence my "tongue in cheek" editing of your quote at the very end John!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 18:58   #106
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
However, while i've always felt that while there is a place for trailer queens, equally there has to be a place for a "properly used classic", in other words exactly how John has described his own vehicle above - hence my "tongue in cheek" editing of your quote at the very end John!
Touche! J.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 19:36   #107
57RKL

Okay, my 945 is my van, my tow car, my family wagon, my camping hold all, my tip run car. It has the most basic spec including keep fit windows all round and an interior thats a bit battered. However our 700 / 900 have amazing road presence even now and basically totally rust resistant. You dont need to have your car scored for the BKV competition. You should however wash and polish the exterior best you can, and line up your cars together to put on a show of 700/ 900s for everyone at the National. Its the VOC annual big day out and you all need to be there. The weather will be great and lets put on a line up to be proud of. My black 945 will be there and im very proud of it. I wont be having it judged either. The BKV is optional. Showing is essential. Be there guys, I will be dishing out free new soft cotton polishing rags to all 700 / 900 owners in the line up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 23:22   #108
57RKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

We did join the 'line-up' as invited a year or two ago, but did not enter the 'BKV'. Perhaps ours was the lone 745 that '57RKL' recalls? Maybe as time goes on these fine cars will achieve the recognition that they clearly merit, although earlier series - notably 1s and 2s - definitely seemed to 'come of age' sooner. I think the only scruffy car that would not be out of place in the show ring for some strange reason is an Amazon Estate!

Regards, John.
It was a 744 then a massive gap and then a couple of 945s. Looked a bit sad. Hope you can join the line in your 745 Sir.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:23   #109
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
It was a 744 then a massive gap and then a couple of 945s. Looked a bit sad. Hope you can join the line in your 745 Sir.
Unfortunately, my long term ownership 745 succumbed to terminal corrosion in early '16. I now have a '00 'classic' V70, but could be tempted by a nice late 965 or V90.

John.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:02   #110
barkster1971
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
However our 700 / 900 have amazing road presence even now and basically totally rust resistant.
I disagree with the rust resistant bit. Better than some cars but they all rust in the floorpan.