Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Miles ex police xc70 - bad idea?

Views : 3668

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 11:42   #1
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Default High Miles ex police xc70 - bad idea?

Like a lot of folk, I'm always browsing ads for cars for sale..

A 2011 ex police xc70 has popped up not far away and I'm a little tempted. It's a manual, looks OK from the pics, and has just under 220k miles on it.

I currently run a 2005 v70 d5 with just over 200k miles, and I've had a 2001 v70 d5 in the past that I sold with 250k, so mileage in itself doesn't put me off. I'm happy to do my own repairs (to a point), and something that's not showroom can be quite liberating in a way.

I'm a little more concerned about awd issues, or the potential for them. I've also had a 2001 xc70 and a 2005 s60r which both needed angle gears replaced, I don't really want to go there again if I can help it.

So... Anyone run an ex services xc70 and care to chime in?
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:35   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Ive just picked up an early 2008 D5 185 SE Lux V70 with 58,000 miles for £2700 - they were asking £3200 but I picked up on a few minor jobs and we had a chat about the price. I've already done half of them and still have change for £50 for the parts thus far.

AWD and XC's sell for more, but unless its stupendously cheap Im not condident it would be worth it.

It's your call, of course. Be sure to let us know how it goes if you do pull the trigger.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:36   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Police cars are generally worked hard but get lavished with care and maintenance. Brakes, suspension bushes, bearings etc. will all get replaced well before we would likely do them as private owners. Police workshops, especially for the higher performance cars, are generally not budget constrained, it's about keeping the car safe and on the road. My bigger concern would by any holes in the dash, factory radio removed, bodywork repairs and damage/holes? Hence I would consider one, but at that age and mileage you need to assess the condition of all of it as you would with any other car.

There are few members on here with ex-plod cars and I think are pleased with them. The often have bigger batteries and upgraded brakes - all supplied from the factory by Volvo.

On post 2006 MY cars angle gear/spline sleeve failures are very rare.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 14:35   #4
Turbodave
VOC Member

How do sir!

Bought my 08 XC70 with the 185bhp and a manual box last year with 200,000 miles on it and it's now approaching 220,000 miles and its not given any concerns at all ans still feels tight, everything works and I have no AWD hang ups... which is something I couldn't say when I had the P2 V70R.

There's just something about a P3 that feels a bit more solid and dependable than P2 cars for me, maybe it's because by 200k my P2 stuff all felt ready to die and generally nasty however this just feels and looks like there's plenty more to get from it.

I'm perhaps blissfully sticking my head in the sand but compared to P2 AWD systems, the P3 stuff seems remarkably reliable and there are very few threads noting failures. Just change the fluids and I think, carry on.

I wouldn't be put of an ex-traffic car as far as lacking spec goes either - my first attempt with an XC70 was grim, more so as it was well specced.

Power tailgate - didn't latch properly
Sat Nav - would stick regularly and think it was back home in Sweden
Posh headlights - failed regularly, bulbs were consumable.

I'm glad I opted for a manual and non 4C as at least that was another couple of things that couldn't fail on me. That specific car lasted about 4 weeks... it was just a wrong un with random power loss and generally not nice. Wasn't particularly high miles either. Glad to see the back of it.

Current one, despite mega miles (ish) and a round trip to South Wales is in Popular Plus spec and I just see it as less stuff to go wrong or for the kids to destroy and that suits me. But it also highlights the importance of buy on condition, not age, miles or spec IMO!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 14:53   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
Like a lot of folk, I'm always browsing ads for cars for sale..

A 2011 ex police xc70 has popped up not far away and I'm a little tempted. It's a manual, looks OK from the pics, and has just under 220k miles on it.

I currently run a 2005 v70 d5 with just over 200k miles, and I've had a 2001 v70 d5 in the past that I sold with 250k, so mileage in itself doesn't put me off. I'm happy to do my own repairs (to a point), and something that's not showroom can be quite liberating in a way.

I'm a little more concerned about awd issues, or the potential for them. I've also had a 2001 xc70 and a 2005 s60r which both needed angle gears replaced, I don't really want to go there again if I can help it.

So... Anyone run an ex services xc70 and care to chime in?
I couldn’t really add more than what others have said. However, I will add fuel economy to the mix here. The newer engines are no way near as economical as the euro 3 D5’s & there’s a DPF to consider (DPF’s don’t like short journeys). A 2011 has no swirl flaps, so that’s a bonus. A euro 4 (2006-2009) does.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 15:32   #6
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Thanks for all the info guys, it's appreciated. Good to know about the non swirl flap thing too, that's interesting.

My commute is 25 miles each way mainly on motorway, and my current v70 (euro 3) consistently gives me about 43/44 mpg on supermarket diesel. Not bad for an old bus!

I appreciate the awd will give less, but it's an easy run so I'd be hoping it's not too bad - and dpf friendly too.

Good points about spec Dave. We all love a gadget, but there's maybe something to say about keeping it simple. There's another xc70 locally at not a bad price, but it's got 4c and I'm not interested in going down that road. Again....
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:42   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I know quite a few police officers, abs I also know a police mechanic. Chatting to them it seems that the police cars do get absolutely thrashed to death. And from the mechanics it does appear that they both get reasonably well maintained and also given hugely preferential and good treatment by the vehicle manufacturers.

However I think there may be a bit of ‘lore’ and old school thinking about the whole ‘everything ever needed thing. I think that may have been the case in the 70s but not convinced it is now.

For me I would buy one still however I would expect it to be heavily discounted which they are often not….
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:58   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Another factor going from memory of reading posts on here over the past 8 years is some police authorities are better than others at de-commissioning their cars. In this day and age the amount of extra tech and accessories that are added to even a "panda" car is quite something - CCTV, the flashing lights, various radio and GPS, collision recording etc. and then on the traffic cars there is often ANPR, the Tracker location system etc. All of it has to be removed before the car can be sold into civilian use, and that means a lot of redundant wiring gets left behind, a lot of trim removed and refitted. On Volvo authorities spec cars there are additional factory wiring looms and options, but inevitably some local customisation is done. I've seen posts of some cars where this has been done very well and you would almost never know, I've seen others where it's been a shambles and left the car with many difficult to diagnose electrical issues.

...and then there is the interior and bodywork. It's not usual to see high spec cars with a rear seat missing where a gun safe was installed and on many cars you'll never get the parcel shelf.

Different authorities have different policies as to when they will dispose of cars too - with the high costs of conversion, some cars are run extraordinary mileages even if that means new engines and gearboxes. I noticed the postman in our street yesterday in a 58-plate Vauxhall Combo Van, I've seen ex-ambulances for sale (Merc Sprinter and Renault Master) direct from service with over 500,000 miles on them.

So check everything...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 7th, 2022 at 18:05.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 18:03   #9
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
Thanks for all the info guys, it's appreciated. Good to know about the non swirl flap thing too, that's interesting.

My commute is 25 miles each way mainly on motorway, and my current v70 (euro 3) consistently gives me about 43/44 mpg on supermarket diesel. Not bad for an old bus!

I appreciate the awd will give less, but it's an easy run so I'd be hoping it's not too bad - and dpf friendly too.

Good points about spec Dave. We all love a gadget, but there's maybe something to say about keeping it simple. There's another xc70 locally at not a bad price, but it's got 4c and I'm not interested in going down that road. Again....
I would be quite confident on getting that, or even more, mpg in my 2016 220 bhp auto XC70 D5, providing the traffic wasn't gridlock most of the way, and mines euro 6.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 18:14   #10
Whippy
Premier Member

I've watched officers cleaning cars with yard brooms ......so