Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 EGR which one!

Views : 1098

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2023, 17:24   #1
Carthings

Default V50 EGR which one!

I’d like to replace the EGR with a similar or identical (Valeo )unit as I’ve heard there’s problems with aftermarket units. My unit has three numbers on it. Anyone know which ones are important? I think the main part number is 9672880080 but there’s also V29006980 and 0069/00285 - the new replacement units I can find have only one or two of those numbers - anyone know which of any are important?

Thanks!!!
Carthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 17:45   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

which engine do you have ? and which year

Last edited by Simmy; Dec 15th, 2023 at 18:19.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 19:10   #3
Teddy1975

The 9672880080 is the part number. It's for a 1.6L PSA diesel.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 20:59   #4
Carthings

That’s right, it’s the 1.6 unit. There are many valeo EGRs for sale with the 9672880080 part number but the secondary numbers are different - does that matter or will they all work and talk to the Volvo CEM properly? Thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 21:03   #5
Carthings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
which engine do you have ? and which year
It’s the 1.6 diesel on a 2010 R Design V50. Thanks.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 21:15   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

have you run a live data scan to determine that your egr valve is faulty. if you find that you definitely need to replace the egr valve dont be lured into buying a cheap one. i tried a cheaper one and found that even though it was new it did not work correctly so i ended up buying a genuine pierburg one . that functioned correctly .also be aware that the new valve may need to be enabled with vida to work with the ecm i hope this information is of some use to you
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 10:42   #7
pinballdave

Which 1.6 diesel do you have 1.6d (16 valve D4164T) or D2 (8 valve D4162T)?

I'm not sure of the choices on the later D2 engine, but when I was replacing the EGR valve on my 1.6d S40 I also found the choices a little bewildering.

I did some digging, and what I found is that there are different signal specifications between the Citroen/Peugeot version of the EGR valve, and the Ford/Volvo version. It's only a minor difference in the voltage range of the position sensor part of the valve, but it's enough to cause calibration problems if you fit the wrong one.

Now here is where it gets complicated. Some aftermarket brands produced two different versions of the valve, one PSA version and one Ford version. Others found that they could make one to a specification that is a compromise between both versions and it would work in both applications, but had to be manufactured to higher tolerances as the range of sensor output voltages that were acceptable to both types of ECU was much smaller.

On some of the cheaper parts, the manufacturing tolerances are not tight enough, and you may get a valve that works in PSA but not Ford/Volvo, or vice versa. So for this reason I chose to avoid the cheap eBay/Amazon offerings.

So armed with this knowledge I went to my local motor factors, and found out the aftermarket part numbers for each of the EGR valves they could supply, and then double checked them on their manufacturers web site, and ended up choosing a Pierburg one which worked perfectly.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 22:17   #8
Carthings

Yes this is why I was asking as Ive read there's issues where seemingly identical units don't play nice with different car brands ECUs.

As far as I know it's the D4164T engine. Ive found a couple of places claiming to sell OEM valeo units for c £125 which is a lot less than the £400 Volvo wants for the same(?) part plus they want your own unit back...

Thanks for the help, still not sure what is best!
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 22:34   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

try going direct to valeo or their importers
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 10:41   #10
pinballdave

Valeo used to have two separate versions 700414 for the PSA version and 700444 for the Ford/Volvo version, but have now replaced them both with the 700474.

There is likely to be some old stock of the vehicle specific versions still for sale, so double check the version you are offered.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post: