Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ecm 6805 and boost related issues

Views : 126304

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2017, 13:54   #31
krist2an

I'm also having an issue with the dreaded ECM-6805. I only get the code when the engine is cold, never when warm. When looking at the data from VIDA, it shows that the VTN actuator opens up 100% very easily when the engine is cold, and this creates overboost. When the engine is already warm, it usually doesn't go over 80%. Has anybody had similar issues? Could it be a sticky turbo?
krist2an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 19:47   #32
Oil Burner

Well here is the weird bit.

As I previously posted, my Limp Mode is sporadic and there has never been a pattern to it, just random.

Well I have had it again today, no news there, but the weird bit is it was after leaving a particular set of traffic lights.

I have been through that set of lights about ten or twelve times over the last few months and only once did I have a fully functioning engine for the rest of the drive.
Every other time the car has gone to limp mode.

Either those lights don't like me, or there possessed , or there some electrical interference radiating from them.

Yes I have had Limp mode in other occasions from time to time but this place is getting a bit of a reputation with my car.

And no, Im not pulling away any different to any other junction along my route, this was after 30 miles of perfect driving.

Drove home tonight along a different route and all fine.

Fate, co-incidence, ghostly presence or Electro Magnetic Pulse !! Who Knows.

Well thats my strange day for you.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 21:30   #33
jamesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krist2an View Post
I'm also having an issue with the dreaded ECM-6805. I only get the code when the engine is cold, never when warm. When looking at the data from VIDA, it shows that the VTN actuator opens up 100% very easily when the engine is cold, and this creates overboost. When the engine is already warm, it usually doesn't go over 80%. Has anybody had similar issues? Could it be a sticky turbo?
when i bought my xc70 it started going into limp mode everytime i booted it over 3k , i had a terraclean done but i dont really think that worked , i went on my hols over 200 miles or more at high revs in 5th , never went into 6th to just try to clear some crap out , after i got homp it never went into limp and for the last 2 weeks its been very powerful and responsive , as of last night but only when the engine has been cold its gone into limp mode 3 times now by just a medium throttle , the temp dropped last night here in sheffield to below 5deg so im wondering if theres a temp sensor or something thats my problem as its not doing it once the engine is warm.
jamesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 21:36   #34
Dancake
Premier Member

I would imagine that the carbon deposits on the turbo vanes are harder when cold, but become softer and easier to move once the engine and turbo have warmed up.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:11   #35
jamesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I would imagine that the carbon deposits on the turbo vanes are harder when cold, but become softer and easier to move once the engine and turbo have warmed up.
cheers dan , i might have to do a turbo cleaner sesion again or boot it in 4th from 40 to redline untill it stops limping like ive read somwhere, im not having the turbo off to clean.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:22   #36
Dancake
Premier Member

The only additive I've ever found that works is Forte Diesel Turbo cleaner. It really does make a difference, though a few applications may be needed depending on the severity of the problem. We're assuming that every other cause of ECM-6805 has been discounted, and that the fault actually is the vanes. Good long runs with frequent full range throttle movements seems to keep ECM-6805 at bay.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:59   #37
jamesey

i have started driving it a bit more aggressive but only doing a long run every now and then isnt really doing it good , its been great for 2 weeks aswell i thought it had gone for a while , how wrong i was,,,, im off work tommorow so might give it a blast somewhere , ive got a load cover to pick up from derby so might run it in 4th to keep it red hot and hopefully clean some
crud off
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:45   #38
Max HEADVROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Was having a look through ebay other day and found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Pres...8AAOSwFnFWFTJp

Obviously listed for alfa models but is pierburg, looks to have same connector and has the white end part and is less than half the price of volvo one,
has anyone bought one of these?
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 19:39   #39
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I am shore it will work, it does look like you would have to drill the mounting holes
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 19:44   #40
aland

I've had the ECM-6805 intermittently for years on my D5, but it had now got to the point of every time you tried to overtake it would show it's ugly head.
No change with engine mount feed plugged, so no issues there.
I had previously changed the turbo control governor with a 2nd hand part, but no change.
As the 2nd hand part was potentially no better than the one on the car, I gave in and bought a new part (p/n 30637251) from Volvo last week (Łouch)... still no improvement - except one test-drive when it was faultless, but the issue was back on the next!

Previously I'd *not* changed the turbo intake pipe as my '04 car has the later pipe design which is stronger, and from my experience with other (older) D5's this causes a squeal when the pipe collapses and restricts the flow - and I had no squeal.
Anyway, I had one of these in the garage from another car I stripped for parts - which showed a 05 date code and generally looked fresher than mine.
I fitted it today (complete with the PCV heater) - and suddenly no further issues!!

So - maybe these later hoses don't screech when they collapse?! Or maybe the PCV heater was faulty and was related? Don't know - and it's early days, but hopefully that's the end of the issue anyway.

I'm temped to swap the governor back and sell the new one on ebay!
aland is offline   Reply With Quote