Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing your ball joint covers

Views : 7366

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2014, 21:57   #21
v40alex
I do like a V40

Oh yes, couldn't agree more, I coppaslip every nut/bolt head in sight

Peter, not sure exactly where to get Track Rod Dust Covers, but the site linked above has various different sizes and a handy chart to work out what size fits what. Measure the ones you've got, then get any generic cover that will fit. My local indy garage was very helpful and happy to supply them to me, also the local carparts shop (proper old style one) tried with various boot sets so possibly one of those would be suitable.
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 22:06   #22
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegummonster View Post
Thanks for this, I've just had my MOT and they were asking for £335 to change these.

They also mention my Track Rod end Dust covers need replacing. Does anyone know where to get these from?

Many thanks,

Peter
I got mine from Volvo - they were pretty cheap. Be warned, replacing these is a pain in the arse!!! It's not hard, just very awkward. It also helps if you have a helper. I ended up getting my 9-year old son to apply pressure inwards from the inside of the wheel well while I leaned into the engine bay from the top to lift the inside lip of the dust-boot on with a small 90deg metal pick. I'm pretty sure that my neighbours heard a couple of f-bombs coming from my drive on that Saturday morning. My son also increased his own arsenal of swear words, no doubt.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 12:43   #23
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
I got mine from Volvo - they were pretty cheap. Be warned, replacing these is a pain in the arse!!! It's not hard, just very awkward. It also helps if you have a helper. I ended up getting my 9-year old son to apply pressure inwards from the inside of the wheel well while I leaned into the engine bay from the top to lift the inside lip of the dust-boot on with a small 90deg metal pick. I'm pretty sure that my neighbours heard a couple of f-bombs coming from my drive on that Saturday morning. My son also increased his own arsenal of swear words, no doubt.
Volvo - improving children's vocabulary since 19--!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2015, 15:01   #24
volvogoteborg

Excellent write up and info Alex - thank you. Great link to the rubber boot aftermarket supplier.

Does anyone have a note of the grease spec Volvo used originally in these ball joints?

thanks
volvogoteborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 10:29   #25
Umski

Bit late to the party but happy to report that this pictorial guide was invaluable - I'd already bought the boots but hadn't counted on needing the balljoint splitter so couldn't separate it initially (there is a YouTube video suggesting a whack with a club hammer should do it but not for me!). After ending up with a long and short splitter (before I found this thread) this was a doddle (relatively) the new boots were the small version and do fit but it's a fiddle getting them stretched over the lower lip of the joint. I just about managed to do both by only undoing the balljoint and shifting the hub to one side - I really didn't want to remove any more stubborn bolts! I have a very stiff neck from looking at it all sideways but managed it in the end! Balljoint grease purchased from Amazon, boots from fleaBay - happy days
Umski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 13:04   #26
matt0677

Thread resurrection, sorry!

I need to do this before the MOT in 6 weeks time as I'm not replacing whole wishbones for the sake of two pieces of rubber...

I found these No.2 boots which seem to fit the bill (but only just, stretching to 15mm):

https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/page6.html

Then another member mentioned these:

https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/tra...arm-boots.html

Which seem a bit big given the measurements in the OP.

Not sure if it's best to stretch one type to it's limits or compress another type down. I don't know what the actual balljoint measurements are, just what was posted in the op.
matt0677 is offline   Reply With Quote