Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting an XC70 back on the road

Views : 1784

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2017, 22:26   #1
custardavenger

Default Getting an XC70 back on the road

Hi All

Not been on here for a while as my other Volvos are doing OK (Massive lie, the 850 is in a bad way).

Anyway, a friend of mine is going through a divorce and some how i the arguments between him and his wife I have ended up with their XC70 for free.
Now there is always a catch and of course the reason for them getting rid of the car was it failing it's MOT and the estimate being £1000, as well as that, his wife (the only one who can drive) doesn't exactly look after things and this once beautiful car has suffered from the abuse of a woman who doesn't care, her two kids and a dog.

So I come to you for advice, I don't even have a manual with this car (think I have downloaded one now) and with no Haynes manual being available I think I will need a lot of help.

So here is the full list of problems/things to do I have so far.

Check ODB2, Need to reset the service warning too.
Tyres 215/65R16 98H x2 Front
Lamps (LED) Many not working, could be more than just blown lamps as I have checked some and they don't seem blown
Service items Accessory belt, filter, oil
Front Nearside Lower ball joint / suspension arm
Both Front suspension bush play??? From MOT list, need to investigate
Offside front CV joint
Adjust Handbrake
Tracking
Rear exhaust bracket
Number plates
Nearside wing mirror glass
Rear Wiper arm
Head light wipers

Gearstick / Handbrake gators
Center Console Repair or replace
Repair Drivers seat stitching gone (foam?)
Roof rack (any recomendations?)

And on to questions about the car
What is with the weird boot floor thing with flaps that unfold?
What is the switch for in the boot nearside vent?
Can the satnav be used without the stereo?
Where to get satnav disk, Is it worth trying to get it working?
Is there another way to get MP3 from the stock stereo, or just get a surround and replace?
Is there a fix/common fault for poor radio reception?
Does any sort of Service manual exist?
How to reset service warning?

Any help would be amazing, thanks
custardavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 22:48   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Get started.

I should say, "Welcome back" but I'm not on the welcoming committee.
I will say, "C'mon bloke, how 'bout a vintage?"
You have a spate of niggling things to do to that free car. I guess the suspension bushings, mirror glass and CV boot are the first things.

Cosmetic stuff is lowest priority as is the stereo. Acquiring those NAV discs is why people should never have that stuff built into cars.
It looks real cool in the catalog but it costs £2,000 to fix a £50 GPS.

There is a radio signal booster built into the nearside C pillar, I believe. Check its plug or fuse?

You can look for roof rails (Eurorails is what they're called here) but you have the pin locaters in the door jambs for the cheaper units if you're in immediate need.

Check the condition of the handbrake shoes early on. Also make sure all 8 glide pins are lubed and that the boots are intact and have their little caps.
Get a 7mm Allen socket. Do one pin at a time.

No doubt the timing belt and its hardware (tensioner and idler) are aged.
How old is this car in Earth years and statute miles again?

As for resetting the service light:

Resetting the Service reminder indicator (SRI), model years -2001
The service reminder indicator remains lit for 120 seconds when the ignition is switched on.
Note! If the lamp flashes, it may be because one of the service parameters has not been programmed.
Proceed as follows to reset:
-Ignition position I
-Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
-Ignition position II
-The service reminder indicator (SRI) starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds
-Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.
Note! If the trip meter reset button is not released within 5 seconds the indicator is not reset. However the indicator will stop flashing.

Resetting the service reminder indicator (SRI), model years 2002-
The service reminder is displayed for 120 s each time the ignition is switched on.
-Ignition position I
-Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
-Ignition position II.
Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds.
-Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset.
Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
-Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
-If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Kira
_________

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Jul 31st, 2017 at 22:56. Reason: additional stuff
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 07:40   #3
reggit
Premier Member

As for service manual, Haynes do one for the V70/S80 and S60, not sure if there is a specific XC70 one, but it's 95% the same as a V70.

What does the service warning say, if it's anything other than 'routine service required' it's warning of a problem.

That flappy thing in the boot is evidently for carrying shopping bags - if you put the rear row of seats in, or a subwoofer the flappy thing is disposed of.

There is a radio signal booster in the boot, adjacent to the drivers side light cluster - it feeds to an aerial in the bumper. There is another aerial on the rearmost window on the passenger side of the car. It connects on a press stud type thing, make sure that's attached.

That switch could be to disable parking sensors when towing, I think some of the earlier cars had a manual switch.

One of your first jobs should be to check the handbrake shoes on the rear wheels, these are notoriously unreliable and can lead to lots of damage if they delaminate.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 09:43   #4
big_yin

Regarding the tires.
How much tread is there left on the rear tires?

I believe that all 4 tires need to have the same tread depth?
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 13:03   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_yin View Post
I believe that all 4 tires need to have the same tread depth?
The early Haldex system up to around 2003 is quite fussy on all tyres having similar rolling circumferences, but later versions are ok, although swapping tyres around to spread tyre wear is still a good idea. The OP has omitted to mention what age the car is, or the engine type, or whether it's auto or manual... although as he's a Salisbury lad, he's welcome to pop round & I'll hook the car up on VIDA if he wants to see all fault codes to add to the 'to fix' list

Last edited by Simon Jones; Aug 1st, 2017 at 13:07.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 18:32   #6
custardavenger

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Georgeandkira:
Yes some of the stiff could be seen as niggles but as every nothing in life is truly free. I feel I aught to help my mate out as he is struggling financially. Though i did want to replace the V40 this wasn't the plan, that said I have to get it insured and taxed no matter what happens to it so I'll drive it about and see if it suits me as a daily. I have a feeling it will be no better than the 850 on fuel.
Whether I keep it or sell it I will still want to fix those items so I have to consider them in the overall cost of getting the car back on the road.

So am I getting that the sat nav isn't worth bothering with? I have the remote but one of the contact is corroded, I'll give it a clean and some batteries and see what happens. I assume something will happen without the disk?

I though the bars that go on the rails seemed a pretty good price but not sure which is best as there are a few types. I'm not sure a normal roof rack would fit over the roof rails.

Thanks for the info on the handbrake, I will certainly strip and service that.

Car is a 2002 with 102K on the clock. I have no service information so it's safe to assume it needs everything.

Cheers for the service stuff too.

reggit:
That's good to know about the service manual. I wasn't sure how much would compare what with the 4 wheel drive system.

Pretty sure it's just service but not showing when I just tried it. Am planning to stick my OBDII reader on it anyway just to see if there are hidden codes.

Ah, makes sense.

Will have a look for this booster. Is the aerial on the drivers side for the sat nav then? They look like they may have been thoroughly licked buy the dogs so will check all the connections.

Parking sensors makes sense, it does look like an add on, I will test it.

Will do. I have always enjoyed constantly working on the 850's handbrake, no reason this should be different (though being an auto helps).

big_yin: I know what you are saying. loads of tread on the rears, this is why I suspect the tracking is out (also the wear pattern)

Simon Jones: 2.4 TD Auto(my first Diesel and first turbo).
I may take you up on that offer next time I'm back at my Mum's. Now fully based in Nottingham. Is the VIDA able to reset the airbag light? I tested the lights I was fixing with the air bag removed on the V40 and faulted the system.

Thanks again for the replies. As soon as the V5 comes through then I will start work on it. That said I have some house building work to do too to clear the garage / pit so it may be a little wait.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 20:33   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

A few answers:

Sat nav won't work without disc, but if you have one, you don't need a remote to use it. The controls are on the rear of the steering wheel.

The elements in the window are part of the radio / TV aerial. The GPS receiver for the sat nav is actually behind the instrument cluster.

VIDA will clear the air bag warning and any other fault codes stored. Drop me a message if you are ever back down this way.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 21:49   #8
spudd
Master Member

Have vida/dice in coalville so not far away.
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 22:37   #9
custardavenger

Yeah I'm pretty sure the disk isn't there. So the question is, is it worth getting hold of or just ignore the system and fit a double din head unit (Assuming the facia is available to do that?

Ok, so it's normal to have elements in both rear windows?

Cheers Spud, I'll let you know when I'm next out that way
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 23:14   #10
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There's a good chance the sat nav DVD drive is knackered anyway so unless you can blag a free disc I wouldn't bother. You could fit an aftermarket head unit but I think you'd struggle to find one that beats the original in terms of sound quality. The elements on both sides of the boot indicates it that the car has an analog TV tuner installed. It can be upgraded to DVB but again, it's probably not worth the effort unless you really need to watch TV when parked up.