Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Carrier Bolts

Views : 1461

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 21:18   #1
Gwilymj

Default Brake Carrier Bolts

Need to replace brake discs on my 2002 V40 but have rounded off a couple of the brake caliper carrier bolts. Does anyone know where I can get hold of these bolts
Gwilymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 21:29   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I always fit new bolts whenever the carriers come off and always get them from Volvo. I then know the job is done right first time every time.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 23:23   #3
Davey240

I changed the rear discs and pads on our 2002 S40 last September. I ordered 4no. Carrier bolts from my local Volvo dealer in Chester and they arrived the next day. They cost £7.92 for the four. Volvo part no. Was V30811992 if thats any use. The old ones actually came out no problem but i fitted the new ones anyway. I did follow some advice on here though and used a six sided socket as apparently there's less chance of rounding off the bolts.......a bit late for you though. Dave
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 16:53   #4
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

You might get them from your local motor factor.
I think people generally over tighten these.
The reason for using new each time is because they are loctited in place. I re-use them and I've never had a broken or loose one.

They don't take the full load of the brake force as that is done by the pad carrier. Their only job is to hold the calliper in place. Obviously they are still a safety critical component but I've never heard of them failing. More common is rounding them off due to being over tightened or seized!

It is worth investing in some six sided sockets for these type of jobs. Also if using a spanner I tend to use a solid piece of wood to tap the spanner round and shock the fastener loose.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 17:46   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

A always re use these but I also have a handy pritt stick style tube of medium strength blue loctite that I put on them before refitting.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 18:47   #6
Gwilymj

Have ordered these bolts (Flange screws) from Volvo today quoting your part number, they should arrive tomorrow, now the fun begins getting the rounded ones off
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 00:51   #7
canis
Non Fragile

I've been known to hammer a whitworth/imperial socket onto the old rounded bolts in order to get them off (and, ahem, on one or two occasions to get them on again) but I can't remember which size. I know it's tool abuse, but I never use imperial sockets anymore. Can't remember the last time I did.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:47   #8
cordite
I've Been Banned

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p81...SABEgLGyfD_BwE

These are superb ,made in the usa , saved the day a few tines fir me
cordite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 22:27   #9
Gwilymj

Yes thats what I had to do as well, bought those Irwin bolt removal sockets from Screwfix, they worked thankfully, new discs, pads, bolts, on but had to take both back plates off what was left of them they were corroded so bad but brakes are great now 👍👍👍
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwilymj For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 19:00   #10
Cold Fusion

For anyone who lives within reasonable driving distance of Chorley, Nuts Engineering have an amazing range of nuts and bolts in stock, anything I have ever needed they have been able to supply from stock...
Cold Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cold Fusion For This Useful Post: