Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 2.3 LPT Turbo 1996 for sale

Views : 3254

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2018, 16:13   #11
jimgad

OK - picked up the car, took some snaps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 1.jpg (333.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg car 2.jpg (290.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg car 3.jpg (134.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg car 1a.jpg (300.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg car 4.jpg (241.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg car 5.jpg (259.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg car 6.jpg (114.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg car 7.jpg (250.0 KB, 83 views)
jimgad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimgad For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:41   #12
Casheye

I can't see if you've stated whether it's a manual (and if so which box... presumably m90) or automatic.

Funnily enough I just popped that reg into compare the market because that'll bring up the details and tell you but they couldn't find the car :P

And from the advisories, it sounds like the bloke was a proper jobsworth...

Advisory notice item(s)

Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
Nearside Front Headlamp has a product on the lens but not seriously reducing light output (1.7.5a) - Can't see what they mean by this...
Offside Front Headlamp has a product on the lens but not seriously reducing light output (1.7.5a) - This also...
Central Rear Seat belt flexible stalk damaged but not likely to lead to failure under load (5.2.4a)
engine idle hunting
bonnet fowling against rear panel upon release - Mine also does this and wasn't noted on my MOT test
Offside Front Inner Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a)
Oil leak () - From where?
Offside Front Outer Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Front Outer Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)

At the end of the day, £450, even if it's an auto (which is preferable to many people) with a smidge over 100k on the clock is good money in anyone's book.

(oh and best colour too.. )
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:44   #13
omc 47
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgad View Post
Hi it's an auto...pictures once I pick up from garage tomorrow.
Thanks
Jim
Casheye it's an Auto....pay attention please. Ok so it's got advisories,Headlights,rear seat belt stalk and bottom ball joints, all easy fix on a 940 for half a days work and £100 if you really want to be bothered.
Oil leak, well I've got one one my 940 and they've never stipulated it's source on my advisory so that's nothing new.
Front Constant Velocity Joint?.................on a 940? Mmnn sorry I'm lost on that one.
Rear number plate? not rocket science either is it! ......so whats left? windscreen and oil leak both of which have been on the advisory list before.....Oh and I almost forgot 12 months MOT ........... for £450? you can pay half that on one visit to a garage these days just to find out the fault codes and reset the ECU............HOPEFULLY

Last edited by omc 47; Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:01.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 12:33   #14
jimgad

Thanks everyone for contributing!
I think it's brilliant that there is so much appreciation given to these models, and the info everyone has, and is suggesting is terrific!
In terms of the MOT - there are confusions - the windscreen is a 5 p size thing in the bottom right hand side that's been there the last 5 years I've MOT'd at the same garage. The seatbelt stalk - no one has ever sat in the middle and used it in 5 years, and again, never mentioned - so who knows.
Compare the Market. I checked too and it didn't show. DVLA shows the model and colour and that it's MOT'd and taxed so that was a relief!
It may be to do with the fact it was originally owned by the Japanese Embassy - and diplomat plates are different. Not sure. (Strangely, the Japanese diplomats licence was also among the plethora of paperwork - the picture being a sample only.)
When I picked it up yesterday, I paid £179 for work and a new brake switch, as the old was being a little temperemental and I didn't want to sell with issue on that.
With all this in mind, and taking on board all the advice - I've decided (drum roll)....£600.
This will cover most of the cost yesterday, as well as giving the original price, which the missus has earmarked toward a new sofa. (Travesty!!)
If no takers - then I'll keep her parked up, and enjoy the weekends!
Once again - thanks to all who've made suggestions, it's been really appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgad For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 13:43   #15
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Casheye it's an Auto....pay attention please.
Calm down little man, like I said I didn't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Ok so it's got advisories,Headlights,rear seat belt stalk and bottom ball joints, all easy fix on a 940 for half a days work and £100 if you really want to be bothered.
Oil leak, well I've got one one my 940 and they've never stipulated it's source on my advisory so that's nothing new.
Front Constant Velocity Joint?.................on a 940? Mmnn sorry I'm lost on that one.
Rear number plate? not rocket science either is it! ......so whats left? windscreen and oil leak both of which have been on the advisory list before.....Oh and I almost forgot 12 months MOT ........... for £450? you can pay half that on one visit to a garage these days just to find out the fault codes and reset the ECU............HOPEFULLY
Without derailing this thread, I think you read what I said completely out of context. So pay attention please and maybe read slower. Or if you don't know what a jobsworth is then google it.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for contributing!
I think it's brilliant that there is so much appreciation given to these models, and the info everyone has, and is suggesting is terrific!
In terms of the MOT - there are confusions - the windscreen is a 5 p size thing in the bottom right hand side that's been there the last 5 years I've MOT'd at the same garage. The seatbelt stalk - no one has ever sat in the middle and used it in 5 years, and again, never mentioned - so who knows.
Compare the Market. I checked too and it didn't show. DVLA shows the model and colour and that it's MOT'd and taxed so that was a relief!
It may be to do with the fact it was originally owned by the Japanese Embassy - and diplomat plates are different. Not sure. (Strangely, the Japanese diplomats licence was also among the plethora of paperwork - the picture being a sample only.)
That'll probably be the case. None of the imports I've ever owned have ever shown up on CTM.

Quote:
When I picked it up yesterday, I paid £179 for work and a new brake switch, as the old was being a little temperemental and I didn't want to sell with issue on that.
With all this in mind, and taking on board all the advice - I've decided (drum roll)....£600.
This will cover most of the cost yesterday, as well as giving the original price, which the missus has earmarked toward a new sofa. (Travesty!!)
If no takers - then I'll keep her parked up, and enjoy the weekends!
Once again - thanks to all who've made suggestions, it's been really appreciated!
I think you'd get more if you stuck it on ebay with a starting price of 600. I know you said in your first post (see OMC.. paying attention) that you'd rather it go to an enthusiast from here but I know plenty of people into these cars who aren't members on this forum. At 600 too, you're not going to be getting people want it to break it, they'd never make their money back.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 15:05   #16
omc 47
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Casheye I put a smiley at the top of my post as an indicator of my tougue in cheek but helpful response, sarcasm and cage rattled tone towards me is unnecessary and does nothing for your image,spend less time with jobsworths they are bad for your health.

Smile, relax and take some deep breaths, it's the New Year and Volvo chaps should stick together, ya never know you might need some parts one day and I might just have em'.
Our English language when written can be open to misinterpretation unlike when one is stood opposite listening to the tone of a persons conversation. C'mon shake hands & move on...................

Last edited by omc 47; Jan 11th, 2018 at 15:25.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 15:11   #17
Casheye

The Following User Says Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 15:42   #18
jimgad

I'll leave it on here for the tim ebeing, and enjoy it if it doesn't sell!
But thanks for all the advice all!
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgad For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 00:18   #19
deeman940
Master Member

I reckon a bit of satin black on those ropey bumper inserts and with that mileage it is £1000 ALL DAY LONG. If it were manual I would say £2k plus. Don't underestimate the value, they are rising. A mint 940 LPT manual M90 with 115k sold on ebay for £2950 a week or two ago,

P.S you don't live in E. Finchley do you? street looks very familiar!!

Last edited by deeman940; Jan 12th, 2018 at 00:21.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 14:19   #20
psl
Master Member

Lets put it this way, if I had room, I would bite your hand off at £600 I've nowhere to store it though.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote