Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dear Volvo UK letter re XC60 MY19 options request

Views : 4656

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 15:15   #1
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default Dear Volvo UK letter re XC60 MY19 options request

I am planning to email Volvo UK the below letter, is there anything else I have missed?
With today's UK declining car sales I find it amazing that Volvo UK are going a different singular option route than most of the rest of the world........why!

Dear Volvo UK
As a long time Volvo Owner having purchased over 10 Volvo's in my life time, I would like to purchase my next Volvo to replace my 3 year old XC60 D5, but I am in the unfortunate position of living in almost the only part of the world that does not allow me to select the options that everybody else are allowed to select/purchase.

I am looking to purchase a XC60 Inscription Pro AWD with the below options all of which are currently NOT available in the UK:
1. T6 Engine (available in most other parts of the world)
2. Subwoofer (available just over the border in Ireland as an optional extra)
3. Gearshift Paddles (also available just over the border in Ireland as an optional extra)

Could I request that Volvo UK make these XC60 options that are already available in most of the world part of the UK MY19 configuration update
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 20:16   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I also find it crazy that Volvo won't allow any possible option to be selected anywhere. As most (?) cars are built to spec, in the same factory (though there may be some exceptions for some models) it seems an easy thing to allow.

Anyway, I expect the answer you'll get (if indeed you get an answer) is that cars are specced for the UK market with those options that Volvo believe that market wants (the fact that you and I may want something different is beside the point!).

The only suggestion I can make is import from another sales area?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 00:22   #3
Driver Dave

Good luck.

When I was specifying my XC90 just at the point of change over from MY16 to MY17 production I asked Volvo UK if I could have the Blond Headlining with Amber upholstery as had been available on the MY16 cars.

The reply I got back basically said "NO our design team has made the decision, so that's what you get".

I tried pointing out that each car was pretty much custom built with all the permutations of options, packs etc. and Blond was available with other upholstery colours but to no avail.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:56   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I think you should write it. Its the only way for Volvo UK to understand was customers wants. But unfortunately I think it will fall of deaf ears, as it has done over many years previously. Volvo UK have some very strange ideas of what their customers wants!

All of the options you mention are available elsewhere, also in RHD markets, like Ireland, so no need for any re-engineering to be done. Just a smple ”lets add it” options.

Paddles I think can be added as an accessory in the UK. Comes as a R-Design steering wheel with paddles, change and program. But it can not have heating for some strange reason. Our XC60 R-Design has heated wheel plus paddles from factory....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 15:50   #5
Fellwalker

Good luck. Design departments of consumer goods companies love to annoy their potential customers. They think they understand the wants of the customer better than the customer themselves.
Samsung decided the UK did not deserve its Galaxy Note 5 phone.

When I tried to get a Skoda Octavia L&K (the top of the range) with BLACK leather seats - oh no sir, our team have decided no one in the UK wants that, you want brown.
When I asked about a top of the range Honda CR-V WITHOUT a full glass sun roof it was Oh no sir, that is not possible.
So I bought a Volvo XC60. Ah well...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:11   #6
HDAV
Master Member

Can you not just order from Ireland? And get the options you want? Or Germany or Belgium?

Subwoofer should be an easy add on after delivery if the wiring is there, paddles maybe not
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:48   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Can you not just order from Ireland? And get the options you want? Or Germany or Belgium?

Subwoofer should be an easy add on after delivery if the wiring is there, paddles maybe not
This point interests me. When you go to another EU market then they are legally obliged to sell you a RHD car, but are they obliged on the spec? If for instance you can only get engine A and B in the UK, but engines A,B and C in Belgium and you order a RHD car in Belgium what happens? Do you have the option of engines A,B and C, or just engines A and B?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:59   #8
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
This point interests me. When you go to another EU market then they are legally obliged to sell you a RHD car, but are they obliged on the spec? If for instance you can only get engine A and B in the UK, but engines A,B and C in Belgium and you order a RHD car in Belgium what happens? Do you have the option of engines A,B and C, or just engines A and B?
You can buy whatever you want, but as the T6 has not been type approved in the UK I think you may run into some problems. Better to check with DVLA beforehand what rules are applicable.

Buying a RHD car from a RHD market will probably make it easier too. But, from memory, car taxes in Ireland may be applicable and they are a lot higher in Ireland than in the UK, AFAIK.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 21:38   #9
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

Hi HDAV
Maybe I could order from Ireland but there will be VAT implications.

But the whole point of this thread and several others in recent times is that many of us feel that Volvo UK are making these arbitrary decisions as to just what we are allowed to purchase from Volvo UK without any logical thoughts?

Why should Volvo Ireland come up with a different set of options that cannot be purchased on the same car in N.Ireland - surely a Volvo owner in Dublin has the same DNA as a Volvo owner in Belfast?
I can accept that between continents there will be subtle differences in interior tastes such as Colours/Trims/etc between Europe & say China, and differences in Fuel types with the USA market being almost 100% Petrol.......but not between similar countries with the normal case being Volvo UK having a reduced choice.

If anyone else shares my concerns, then as I feel we have a short limited window before Volvo UK select ‘on our behalf” their shopping basket of options for MY19 details which are normally released about Easter time, please email the M.D. of Volvo U.K. at jon.wakefield@volvo.com

I reminded him that one of the most important things that I learnt as the M.D. of a £40M UK company was to listen to what my customers were asking me to supply as I knew that if I failed to deliver what they wanted that there was always the danger that they would find that product somewhere else at my expense.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 22:40   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Always used to be you got local spec remember Swedish spec rhd cars had seatbelt indicators on dash (weren’t okmuk spec) but iirc came with lhd headlights, not an issue now with bi xenons? Also will be a “grey import”

Vat issues? EU vat straightforward if vat reg you don’t pay it.....for now....
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote