Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gremlins Starting?...

Views : 1440

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 20:21   #1
FauxSven

Default Gremlins Starting?...

Car V90 went in for its second service last week along with a list of jobs. Car came back with none of the additional jobs being done... How does that work? - Volvo ownership and the service dealers offer are not a patch on the competition in my opinion - anyway back to the story.
So it appears the car has come back with a Gremlin. I get in now, start the car and the radio comes on tuning itself into whatever station it fancies. I then use the steering wheel to change the station and hey presto the doors lock. Genius... Anyone else or am I the lucky one?
FauxSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 21:15   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxSven View Post
Car V90 went in for its second service last week along with a list of jobs. Car came back with none of the additional jobs being done... How does that work? - Volvo ownership and the service dealers offer are not a patch on the competition in my opinion - anyway back to the story.
So it appears the car has come back with a Gremlin. I get in now, start the car and the radio comes on tuning itself into whatever station it fancies. I then use the steering wheel to change the station and hey presto the doors lock. Genius... Anyone else or am I the lucky one?
Did you inform the dealership regarding the problems, before putting the car in for the service?
If you did, then they would have been listed on the worksheet that you would have signed, when handing the car over for the service.
Did you read the worksheet, before signing it?

tem.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 21:26   #3
1970jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxSven View Post
Yep this is my first and will be my last Volvo....great car so far but Gremlins now starting for me (XC90 T8 Mar 17 (18000 miles) and the service dealers are million miles behind German counterparts that I have experienced in last 15 years of BMW and Audi ownership.
I just don't think they understand that spending £70k plus on a car you expect a certain amount of TLC. I am sure they will get better as its early days for them in this market segment but the service dealer network needs to catch up fast with what are highly desirable cars XC90/60/40 and V90/S90.
1970jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:15   #4
Chief inspector
Master Member

Its really not early days for Volvo, they’ve had cars in the price range of ze Germans since day 1.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:42   #5
neon
Premier Member

In some areas I am quite glad they are not the same as their German counterparts, after 16 years of buying German cars. Agree they need to catch up in some areas though.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:44   #6
1970jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Its really not early days for Volvo, they’ve had cars in the price range of ze Germans since day 1.
i think it is still relatively early days for them in the plus £60k segment and the dealer network needs time to adjust accordingly and after my first 'experience' of their service in my opinion (and by the sounds of it a few others on here) it needs work.

For example...when I booked in my first service the only loan cars they had were V40 (fine car but too small) and certainly not in same bracket as my T8. All other loan cars I've had from Audi or BMW were similar class (5/X5/A6/Q7) or sometimes even better ( I once had an i8 from BMW) as they realise that by exceeding customer expectations often results in brand loyalty.

Also when I booked as per FauxSven I asked for other works to be done which weren't.....and the promised call back to re-book has not materialised....never experienced that ever from Ze Germans.

Maybe it's just my dealer and I should try another......

Last edited by 1970jon; Jan 20th, 2018 at 22:47.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:53   #7
MCV60
Master Member

My last two dealership visits with my current V90, I’ve been handed the keys to fully loaded Inscription D5 XC90’s. One of which was polestar. And no qualms over the quality of service provided all issues raised sorted.

However, different Volvo dealers have previously provided Fords Fiestas and some non descript Peugeot.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:15   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Question

Definitely need to try another dealer what dealer did you purchase from ?
From experience not all dealers are the same.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 02:38   #9
pagan8c
Master Member

My Dealer only does V40 as loan car when in for a service but hey it is only for a few hours so am I bothered,no. I am happy with there service and unless they make a 'Harry Halls' with my XC90 I will continue to use them. I have had Audis and Mercs and they were no different really except I find Volvos more comfortable to be in and so I will stay with them for the time being.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 20:57   #10
1970jon

Gremlins indeed.....started car this AM and the HUD was showing all the wrong colours in the display....speed signs were green/NAV lane markings were pink/pilot assist steering wheel was orange.....basically the red (out of the red/green/blue colour gambit was not working. At the end of journey (30 miles) I stoped and locked then restarted and all back to normal?