Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air con has life of its own !

Views : 70105

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:33   #1
afcbian

Default Air con has life of its own !

The air con on my S60 T5 SE 2002 sometimes turns itself on after being parked for a while. Is this normal ?
afcbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:38   #2
S60-MBS
VOC Member

lol did you search the forum at all ..been covered so m,any times ..its just the system drying itself out ..
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:40   #3
afcbian

no mate, just posted a quicky. Many thanks for the reply though.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:45   #4
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbian View Post
no mate, just posted a quicky. Many thanks for the reply though.
to be honest had me in panic too first time i noticed it....you will even see water under car sometimes thats normal too..
regards
Mo
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:52   #5
Viper_7
Premier Member

I feel left out!! In two and a bit years I've never caught it doing this!

aye it can come on after about 10 mins when you've turned off, and run for 30 mins easily to dry everything out and stop mildew and bacteria build up. It's more likely to happen like today when it's been hot and humid.
Don't worry it, the logic is clever enough not to run your battery flat.

Same goes for the radio and any other electrical item there, it will turn everything off if the charge gets too low.

vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 22:57   #6
afcbian

Still getting used to some of the clever Volvo stuff. Left the keys in the ignition once while I waxed it and ran the battery flat in four hours. (geartronic issue I believe)
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 23:02   #7
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Still getting used to some of the clever Volvo stuff. Left the keys in the ignition once while I waxed it and ran the battery flat in four hours. (geartronic issue I believe)
really? would be interested in knowing more about that? blasted thing is suposed to protect it'self to prevent the battery going flat!
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 23:12   #8
afcbian

Apparantly the independant chap who looks after the car for me says he has had this quite a few times. Apparantly they quite often leave the keys in when the cars are on the ramp as they need the cars to be in neutral so they can move the cars and roll the wheels and after working on them for 3-4 hours the batteries are as flat as a pancake. Must admit it surprised me, having sais that I have had no other problems with the battery.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:52   #9
DownundeR

Quote:
Apparantly the independant chap who looks after the car for me says he has had this quite a few times. Apparantly they quite often leave the keys in when the cars are on the ramp as they need the cars to be in neutral so they can move the cars and roll the wheels and after working on them for 3-4 hours the batteries are as flat as a pancake. Must admit it surprised me, having sais that I have had no other problems with the battery.
That’s interesting!
I understand that with the auto trannies to have the car in neutral requires the ignition to be ON (shiftlock disabled & depress brake pedal).
That means everything:
Interior electrics; courtesy lights, instruments, radio (& amp if fitted) and the vast array of sensors dotted around the car - along with the engine & body electronics; daytime running lights (if activated) fuel pump, transmission control module, ECU, front & rear electronic modules etc.

It would be interesting to see what the power consumption is for the car with everything on and no engine running…

Regarding the A/C fan being on – this is can be car dependant.
Officially known as the “after blow function” some cars had this activated/de-activated through the Volvo VADIS/VIDA system. Supposedly, the after blow function is ‘smart’ enough to detect if the battery is running low and switch itself off when the ignition is on the OFF position.
But of course if the car’s ignition is switched to ON – then there is a potential to drain the battery. This has happened to me once or twice...
DownundeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 13:22   #10
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

As this gets asked a lot I'm posting it as a sticky...

Quote:
Officially known as the “after blow function” some cars had this activated/de-activated through the Volvo VADIS/VIDA system.
Interesting comment, that. I have never heard the afterblow on my MY2005, but it regularly kicked in on my old MY2002. I asked the question on last year's service as the aircon was starting to smell (they cleaned it FOC for me) and they insisted there were no faults and that "it could start up any time" - I'm due the next service in September so I think I'll ask them to check if it's deactivated....

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C

Last edited by Alpha206; Jun 16th, 2007 at 13:27. Reason: Comment on afterblow function
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post: