Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Information only your feedback welcomed

Views : 1269

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 19:25   #1
P3DRO

Exclamation Information only your feedback welcomed

Hello members

I was looking on fleebay for different types of LPG Conversions untill i saw this vehicle please take a look

Item number: 320711872471

I have never heard of heated LPG injecters could you please enlighten me on these and what the cost difference they would make to the standard ones ? are they readily available ?

Kindly take a look at the LPG filler and how it was fitted next to the Petrol filler a LOT of installers use the rear quater pannel for the filler....

I hope someone from here can advise me of the advantages of heated LPG injecters ......

The following is what the seller is quoting

"LPG Conversion – car has been converted to LPG in this year so it has fresh and not abused system. As a standard you won’t get a special conversion like mine. Why? Just go to any LPG approved garage and ask if they will fit heated injectors (to prevent freezing with strong turbo engines) and ask for conversions working up to 350 BHP. Mine has been designed for higher power because I was thinking about upgrading turbo to 19t which produces 300BHP instead of 250BHP. LPG Tank is located in the spare wheel space and takes 60 litres - you can do up to 300 miles on it. There are no holes in the bumper for the LPG plug - this has been cleverly hidden under the petrol flap."

Kind Regards
P3DRO

Last edited by P3DRO; Jun 16th, 2011 at 19:59.
P3DRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 19:42   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

I have only ever heard of "Heated LPG injectors being used on an AIR COOLED engine.

LPG is a LIQUID & requires Heat to convert it into GAS this is done via the Vapouriser (Connected to the Water Cooling system) LPG turns from Liquid to Gas at Approx 5 degrees C so quite WHY you'd want "Heated Injectors" is frankly BEYOND ME.

I've bin the the "GAS" industry fer over 36 Years & I aint never heard of em !! I think its a CON (I don't think HE'S doing the CON But I seriously think HES BIN CONNED into buying summot that is USELESS.

That being a 53 plate Saab I'd be far more worried about the SLUDGING ISSUES Saab's have than some CornBall idea of "Heated Injectors" !!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 19:56   #3
Michael J
Master Member

As it says in the advert, to prevent freezing with powerful turbos.

Air moving at speed cools everything that the air passes, effectively turning the inlet tract into a fridge/freezer. It doesn't even need to be a cold day, but if it is then the injectors might indeed freeze - consider that they also are a place where pressurised gas is expanding rapidly and hence cooling. The carburettor on my 240 has a heater on the bottom of the float bowl, to prevent icing caused by fuel being drawn rapidly through the carb.

In the same manner, it is a very bad idea to just start a vehicle that relies on a radiator for cooling and then tazz straight off at high speed, the air rushing through the radiator can freeze the coolant (especially if your anti-freeze isn't strong enough). Vehicles with their radiator mounted on an inner wing at the side (old Minis, for example) are far less prone to this.

Whether it's actually necessary on that car is another matter.

Ed: LPG is a liquid due to pressure - and only due to pressure as the tank is at ambient temperature, its natural state at room temperature is gas hence the G - release that pressure and it turns into a gas with no other energy input required. In doing so it will cool its surroundings. Look at a large propane or butane bottle that is being used as a supply for a cooker. It's covered in ice, water frozen out of the surrounding air onto the outside as the bottle is cooled by the expanding gases.

Last edited by Michael J; Jun 16th, 2011 at 20:02.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael J For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 21:09   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Could these injectors be injecting liquid LPG into the ports rather than gas? I've always thought about this way of increasing efficiency ... especialy in turbo engines .. no evaporator/regulator needed either .. These injectors would certainly need to be heated .
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 22:20   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Heated LPG injectors are used on low quality LPG systems that suffer from freezing in cold weather or under high load.

Not sure what the system is but going off the switch I would say its Stag.

That filler is an option but it does not strictly comply with COP11 but with some cars it is your only option.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 22:21   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Could these injectors be injecting liquid LPG into the ports rather than gas? I've always thought about this way of increasing efficiency ... especialy in turbo engines .. no evaporator/regulator needed either .. These injectors would certainly need to be heated .
Liquid injection systems do not use heated injectors.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 00:25   #7
popuptoaster
Master Member

maybe it means you can start on gas from cold, some of the gas sets up i have had have required you to tsrat on petrol and swop to gas once the engine was warmed up.

The last one i had on a Range Rover was an expensive set up with two seperate sytems and ecus, one for each cylinder bank, that would let you start the car on gas unless the air temp was to cold, in which case it swopped to pertrol and the to gas after a few mins all by itself.

If heated injectors allow you to start up on gas whatever the weather it would mean you could do away with the petrol gear altogether.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:35   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
maybe it means you can start on gas from cold, some of the gas sets up i have had have required you to tsrat on petrol and swop to gas once the engine was warmed up.

The last one i had on a Range Rover was an expensive set up with two seperate sytems and ecus, one for each cylinder bank, that would let you start the car on gas unless the air temp was to cold, in which case it swopped to pertrol and the to gas after a few mins all by itself.

If heated injectors allow you to start up on gas whatever the weather it would mean you could do away with the petrol gear altogether.
With many cars you can start from cold anyway. Heating the injectors is of little help to you. Preheating the vapouriser is what would be needed for gas starts with fussy engines.

I'm certain that your Range Rover was only on a basic system with 2 emulators for the petrol injectors.The switch you would have had would be the basic switch but with a temperature switch on the vapouriser. The system could have been closed loop with lambda control possibly.

You would have been better off with a slave LPG injection system but set to switch to LPG at very low temperature.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 18:24   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Liquid injection systems do not use heated injectors.
so they are available then , what are they used on?
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 18:26   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post

The volvo approved Landi-Hartog LPG systems the dealers fitted from 1979 - 85 would start and run easily on LPG there was a "choke" button you jabbed a few times before firing up and off it went , no problem at all .