Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear footwell soaked, possibly not ac. Please help.

Views : 885

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 14:28   #1
Tenalka

Default Rear footwell soaked, possibly not ac. Please help.

In November last year I discovered the rear off side footwell soaking wet. I put it down to our broken flask and began cleaning it up with clean cloths. I knew it would take a while because I didn’t see a need to lift the carpet for just a flask of water. After a weeks the water had hardly budged, I borrowed my friend carpet cleaner and sucked out the water. Problem solved.

We have just had three storm during January and February, as you all know, and the water is back and even worse. The same footwell has more water in, and the other rear passenger footwell is wet, but not soaked, so is the drivers footwell. The front passenger footwell is bone dry.

I hardly ever use my AC perhaps once or twice if it’s really hot, also back in November it was raining when I discover the water first time round. It doesn’t smell which is surprising.

Can anyone suggest where I start or what it could be. I don’t want to take it to the garage, but obviously I will if I have to.

Thx

Mark
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 15:18   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

I'd begin by checking the scuttle drains are clear as if these are blocked water will fill the pollen filter housing and from there will overflow into the car.Assuming no sunroof a favourite would be a break in the bonding around the windscreen or possibly rear window.Other places to check would be door to body seals and the weather strip on top of the door/base of the window in case it's allowing too much water into the door and overflowing into the car past the door card.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 15:41   #3
Tenalka

I have had water collecting around the light console and dripping onto the gear stick area when on a slight slope down hill.

And yes, now sunroof.

thank you
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 18:28   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

Now I've opened my eyes a bit I see it's a V70.Does it have roof rails? Water could be getting in where they attach to the roof although my money is still on poor bonding of the windscreen.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 20:38   #5
Tenalka

Yes it has roof rail.

I guess if it is wet on around the lighting on and off as well as the foot well it could be from the window or the rails.

I guess im pulling the ceiling down to see whats happening.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 06:24   #6
TheLeeds

Could it be the water supply pipe for the rear screen washer ?
My old R reg 940 estate used to have the same symptoms, so I guessed the pipe might have had a small leak. Rear footwell always seemed wet and there didn't seem to be any other possible causes.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 13:42   #7
Tenalka

Oh wow I never thought of that, thank you. This is great, it gives me so much to think about. Thank you.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 07:55   #8
Ant B

I had exactly the same symptoms (rear footwell soaking wet, sound of water sloshing around in the roof lining above the rear view mirror, occasional dripping from the light console in the roof etc.), was the windscreen. The bond is / was poor, it lets water in, over time this finds its way unto footwells etc.

Replaced the screen (on my insurance as it had a small chip and crack anyway), dried out carpets, it’s been fine since - even in the recent weather (doesn’t feel like the rain has stopped for months)!

I would definitely start with the screen; even if it’s not the problem now, it’s likely to be a problem at some point anyway...?
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:35   #9
Tenalka

Thank you I think this is what I’m going to do. At least it’s done then thank you so much.
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 14:52   #10
Noel Paterson

Default 99% likely to be the Windscreen

Hi, I had exactly the same problem with my 2012 V70. The rear footwell on the passenger side became soaking and wouldn't dry out. Although there was no obvious leak around the windscreen, after reading posts on the forum I decided to get the screen replaced and the problem has been solved! I think the seal along the top can be faulty on V70s and water can run down the inside of the A pillars at each side and get into the footwells more or less invisibly. Various people have suggested on the forum that Volvo dealers may fix this free? I paid National Windscreens to do it, but I don't regret it...
Noel Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Noel Paterson For This Useful Post: