Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Zaurak Refurb (pics)

Views : 651

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 13:54   #1
FlabbyPanda
Brian

Default Zaurak Refurb (pics)

So I've got the following alloys and I'm trying to do a budget refurb.

Ideally I would like to do a 2 tone finish or "diamond cut" similar to below

I've already prepared the wheels and sanded the scratches etc but can I now just spray them black, sand with a fine grit before polishing them, then clear coat so they end up looking something like this?

Or would I need to tape the dark parts and respray the silver bits?
FlabbyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 17:42   #2
Dastardly Diesel

It won't work well. Lacquer needs a primer or a paint coat beneath to adhere effectively. No matter how careful you are water will soon penetrate the 'diamond cut' sections and cause corrosion and worming visible under the lacquer.

Powder coat is tougher, bit has a similar problem in that it requires a phorescent base coat on aluminium alloy, which you cant do under a clear lacquer, hence factory diamond cut alloys inevitably looking shabby relatively quickly.

In the finish you're planning I'd suck it up and get it powder coated. As poor as clear powder coat is it's still much better than clear lacquer on alloy.

If you decide to do it yourself I'd stick to an all painted finish with an etch primer over a y bits of surface that aren't already covered with paint, and finished with a two pack lacquer such as Spraymax 2K.

Good luck.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 20:42   #3
Thekilt

On my old Suzuki I rubbed both wheels down, masked the outside rim then painted the three spoke inner, and lacquered the black portion. Then after that had cured, I masked the sprayed section and polished the rim. Whenever I have the bike a clean I would also polish with some alloy paste and would come up a treat.

However doing that with 4 wheels every time rather than two might be a bit tedious, plus that was before me I had a family and had an abundance of time!
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 21:08   #4
FlabbyPanda
Brian

thanks guys. My plan is to change them eventually so paying for a powder coat is out, I'll start by spray the dark bits and then seeing how they turn out.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 22:03   #5
FlabbyPanda
Brian

So as I posted here I decided to try and refurb my alloys today.

I was trying to get something like this....

This is what I was starting with, Bandit thinks they look a little ruff..

step 1 was cleaning and decontamination, you can clearly see one has already been refurbished before.

sanded and ready for primer, the worse one is on the left

2 coats of primer later and they look much better

but I couldn't get the top coat to spray properly. The can has no rattle no matter how much I shook it and I was getting impatient.

I didn't apply the clear coat and will wet sand these back before getting another can of silver or black to finish them off and then apply the clear coat.

sorry for crappy pic but I was frozen & wet at this stage.

please only approach the car from the drivers side....

Over all it was pretty easy and with more time I think the finish would have been better, I started it too late in the day. As I mentioned I'm tempted to use black instead as the silver isn't really the shade I wanted.

Last edited by FlabbyPanda; Mar 1st, 2020 at 00:01.