Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 safety?

Views : 17610

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 15:49   #41
volvoz2000
Premier Member

I feel the need to add my 2 penneth worth for good measure! The Swedes have always been amongst the best engineers on the planet, and with both Saab and Volvo they claim a large number of the most significant safety improvements that are standard issue today and we take totally for granted. Sadly GM raped Saab for all it was worth and discarded its hollowed out shell once they had taken what they were after. Volvo seems to be surviving well under its last 2 owners, and still doing great work in the safety department. As a general rule the best built and most reliable cars to date came in the early 90s form the Swedes and the Germans as they seemed to be competing to achieve the best, whereas now it is all about who can make it the cheapest.

I would rather be driving a saab 9000 or a Volvo 940 in a large number of crash scenarios as these cars were tested in the real world rather than preset NCAP or simulated tests that very rarely get replicated
06 Mercedes Sprinter 315 CDI Auto..... Twin Turbo
see the pattern emerging?
volvoz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoz2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 16:42   #42
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywilde07 View Post
yes... they had the 2.0ltr turbo with 187bhp as standard the turbo was the HPT Mitsubishi unit (not the LPT Garret) and it was the same turbo they put on the Evo 3... the potential for tuning these was better than people figured... 'lots' of head work, mapping, fuelling, turbo, and a 63mm straight through tube for an exhaust, (no Cat or boxes) got it up to 371@ the wheels, the standard M49 4 speed with O/D couldn't cope so a 740 5 speed had to be used, I did some daft things with Volvos a few years ago... but that is a whole new thread...

you must have seen the 740 2.3 turbo on youtube putting out 530 horses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw4SU-Wnp_o
the 2ltrs had 150 standard, the 2.3 HPTS were 165, and the sport was 190(ish)

Just FYI the garret has no significance to HPT / LPT, it was the boost setting, LPT 4 psi HPT 8 psi - that's with the 13c, never seen a garrett on a 940 even though I know they exist.

Did you use a bigger turbo? Cos the standard one is tiny anything over 12psi it becomes a hairdryer
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 17:34   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoz2000 View Post
I feel the need to add my 2 penneth worth for good measure! The Swedes have always been amongst the best engineers on the planet, and with both Saab and Volvo they claim a large number of the most significant safety improvements that are standard issue today and we take totally for granted. Sadly GM raped Saab for all it was worth and discarded its hollowed out shell once they had taken what they were after. Volvo seems to be surviving well under its last 2 owners, and still doing great work in the safety department. As a general rule the best built and most reliable cars to date came in the early 90s form the Swedes and the Germans as they seemed to be competing to achieve the best, whereas now it is all about who can make it the cheapest.

I would rather be driving a saab 9000 or a Volvo 940 in a large number of crash scenarios as these cars were tested in the real world rather than preset NCAP or simulated tests that very rarely get replicated
Just as ford did with volvo , all we are left with now are a LOT of ford problems to sort out ... whilst ford claim glory for city safety and other volvo systems .
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 17:44   #44
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Just as ford did with volvo , all we are left with now are a LOT of ford problems to sort out ... whilst ford claim glory for city safety and other volvo systems .
I've recently ended up visiting both Ford and Volvo showrooms - and it was hard to tell the difference...

Mind you, one difference was that I was in the Ford showroom waiting at the service desk for a friend whose new Ford had lost most of its gears , whereas I was in the Volvo showroom picking up new instrument panel bulbs for my 24-year-old 740 from the parts desk . Gears, bulbs - now which would you rather be replacing...?
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 18:05   #45
popuptoaster
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
the 2ltrs had 150 standard, the 2.3 HPTS were 165, and the sport was 190(ish)

Just FYI the garret has no significance to HPT / LPT, it was the boost setting, LPT 4 psi HPT 8 psi - that's with the 13c, never seen a garrett on a 940 even though I know they exist.

Did you use a bigger turbo? Cos the standard one is tiny anything over 12psi it becomes a hairdryer
Mines a 2.3 LPT, i have fitted a boost gauge and MBC and wound it up to 12psi and it goes all right now although I've never had it on a rolling road. I plan on getting the V cam, a bigger turbo and getting her remapped to suit. I want to get rid of the dual mass flywheel first though.

At some stage i do plan on building a 16v turbo, but i will probably do that on a lower mileage engine and swop them over.

Far as i knew the Wentworth was just a trim level designed to cope with harsh conditions so they had less electrical gadgets but often came with a LSD?
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:12   #46
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Quote:
yes... they had the 2.0ltr turbo with 187bhp as standard the turbo was the HPT Mitsubishi unit (not the LPT Garret) and it was the same turbo they put on the Evo 3... the potential for tuning these was better than people figured... 'lots' of head work, mapping, fuelling, turbo, and a 63mm straight through tube for an exhaust, (no Cat or boxes) got it up to 371@ the wheels, the standard M49 4 speed with O/D couldn't cope so a 740 5 speed had to be used, I did some daft things with Volvos a few years ago... but that is a whole new thread...

hmmm , perhaps you should talk about it then.....
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:46   #47
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
y

Has he not learned how to control a car? How's he allowed onto public roads (last couple of minutes of the video) when clearly he's not skilled enough to tell the difference between the controlled environment of a track, with safety marshalls and cordons to make sure people stay out the way, and where emergency crews are already on hand just in case, and the road where ordinary people might be driving along with kids in the car fully expecting to not suddenly have some bell end appear sideways on, out of control in a great cloud of blue smoke right in front of them.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:53   #48
popuptoaster
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Has he not learned how to control a car? How's he allowed onto public roads (last couple of minutes of the video) when clearly he's not skilled enough to tell the difference between the controlled environment of a track, with safety marshalls and cordons to make sure people stay out the way, and where emergency crews are already on hand just in case, and the road where ordinary people might be driving along with kids in the car fully expecting to not suddenly have some bell end appear sideways on, out of control in a great cloud of blue smoke right in front of them.

Yeah being on a deserted industrial estate at what looks like really early o'clock with your mates spread around making videos and keeping an eye out for the cops must be really dangerous for the hoards of nuns snd kittens that are wandering around........
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:56   #49
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
Yeah being on a deserted industrial estate at what looks like really early o'clock with your mates spread around making videos and keeping an eye out for the cops must be really dangerous for the hoards of nuns snd kittens that are wandering around........
I suggest you look again at the 'deserted industrial estate' as it appears from about 5:50 in the video. That deserted industrial estate with its own dual carriageway and major junction, and other traffic.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 22:48   #50
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I thought an Evo 3 came with a 16G or 16T?

The driver in that video wasn't out of control at any moment, he has some serious skill to drift or powerslide a car at that speed. And it was really quiet so that's ok.