Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147580

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 16:46   #41
Richard_TD
Master Member

I replaced the broken link on my air recirc flap

and finally got round to doing the wiper relay mod, using a VW 197 relay from the scrapyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbns0d8BuBo

Total cost £2

We did the same on my son's 6N Polo with a VW 99 relay too.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 21:56   #42
ITSv40
VOC Member

Long story short: I thought the C70 ran well but must admit haven't given it full throttle very often. Anyway son who has a V50 T5 test drove it the other day and pronounced 'that's sh*te' it doesn't accelerate smoothly at full throttle. Basically it felt like the boost was coming on and then off and then on as if the throttle was being floored and then completely lifted and then floored. Son connects his dice and reads the codes, no codes and no engine light on. He suggested I clean the MAF sensor first and go from there.

So today, popped into Eurocarparts and bought a can of Wynn's petrol EGR3 cleaner. You warm the engine, remove the air cleaner, run engine at 2000rpm and squirt this liquid in in short bursts until the can is empty. Then when the engine will idle correctly drive the car steady for about 6 miles or so and job done. Now I'm very sceptical of these wonder 'cure all' potions but, invested £8 and gave it a go. Car is now totally transformed. Idles spot on accelerates smoothly and eagerly on a light throttle. Drop it into third and floor it - it flies. At seventy in fifth, floor it and it smoothly accelerates to 120 and beyond with absolutely no hesitation at all. It is now super silky smooth under all conditions. It was tested on a private road btw.

Never used this stuff before but, the V40 will have a can thrown in it next week.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 22:53   #43
GMC

Taking pics of my T-5R

2013 V70 D5 R Design - Grey(Daily Driver)
2015 Audi A3 184 TDi Quattro - Grey (The Wife's!)
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 06:08   #44
dieselderv

Yesterday I fitted new black dash top that when back from France will be getting flocked to stop the glare. Also fitted infinity tweeters in the grills on top of the dash..sorting out rattles today I'd tailgate,there seams to be something moving about inside it that sounds like gravel
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 13:50   #45
Richard_TD
Master Member

I finally got round to fixing the heated driver's seat, just in time for summer.

It was just a broken wire on the thermostat, I should have fixed that when I got the car.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 16:13   #46
Cymraeg

New alternator and replacing all the blown bulbs that went with the alternator. Plus plenty of head scratching as to whyshe is now hunting at idle and the engine looks like it wants to leap out at 3k rpm.

Plus ets light has come on
Cymraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 16:17   #47
foammanmark

Managed to 'Moose' my p1 V70 R with a sticker on the tailgate. Throwing it down now so that's it for today.
foammanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 16:50   #48
Richard_TD
Master Member

Washed, hoovered and filled up with fuel. After the last time I hoovered it I found out that the rigid pipe on the Dyson can be removed for doing the car. We've had that Dyson for about 15 years and I didn't know.

While I was hoovering it I decided to lift the doorstep trims and pull through a bit more of the CD changer cable. My son helped me install it and he left the cable a bit short at the head unit end.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 21:48   #49
ITSv40
VOC Member

Went down to Norfolk for a long weekend in the C70. Set off early Friday morning and got home late last night, covered about 500miles. The car ran faultlessly and is a real joy to drive. The sound of the five pot springing in to life and when accelerating on a reasonably light throttle is just superb.

Only two little niggles: The handbrake switch is a little sticky, so a couple of times the roof would not open - I noticed the handbrake warning light was slow to come on at the same time so need to replace/adjust/lubricate the switch. Also the drivers seat will not slide forward freely when tilting the backrest forward, it does work sometimes so I know nothing is broken, but possibly needs adjustment. Both can be winter jobs.

Having recently bought the car: would I buy a C70 again? Yes, definitely. Would I buy that particular car again? Absolutely, yes.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 09:29   #50
happy diver
Active Member Moment

When the seat is fully rearward, for forward motion, holding the lever up, move the "seat back" forward.

When the seat is mid range, if you lift the lever the seat will start to move backwards until you tilt the "seat back" forward, where it will change direction.

Whilst holding the lever up when the seat is mid range, flopping the "seat back" forwards or backwards, will change the direction of travel.

Man, the switch is just a button some copper a spring and a yellow wire.
Slide the boot plastic sideways and get on in there.

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote