Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Serious rookie mistake, GB fluid

Views : 3670

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 14:27   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Thumbs up Serious rookie mistake, GB fluid

Well, all i am going to say is this, i started the GB fluid change, got everything i needed out for that and the oil change and this happened.....

I used engine oil in the gearbox

I was only able to originally drain 2.4L up on the ramps, and i would say about 0.5l came out of the level plug.

about 4.8l of engine oil went in before i realised my blunder.

I have now drained it twice with 2.4l of gb fluid....

On a scale of 1 to 10, how serious and should i put it on the market, quick like?

Had to buy more engine oil so thats costly for a start.

Spending the £250 at the garage to do the flush originally sounds like a good idea , hindsight 'eh?

Last edited by Bashy; Feb 7th, 2020 at 15:51.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 15:25   #2
stegreg
VOC Member

it takes a great deal to admit your own mistakes, so firstly well done for doing so.
sounds like you have done your best to flush out the wrong oil.
personally I would suggest you now use the car for a while, get all the oil around the transmission system, then do a third change after say 200 miles. then see how the box changes after that, try not to draw many opinions on the gear change currently as still a possibility of mixed oil grades in there.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 15:55   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
it takes a great deal to admit your own mistakes, so firstly well done for doing so.
sounds like you have done your best to flush out the wrong oil.
personally I would suggest you now use the car for a while, get all the oil around the transmission system, then do a third change after say 200 miles. then see how the box changes after that, try not to draw many opinions on the gear change currently as still a possibility of mixed oil grades in there.
Thanks stegreg, was most certainly a better reply than i thought i was going to get, i.e. what an idiot, plank, spanner, ratchet and so forth lol appreciate that

I did expect to get more than 2.4l from the box, ive seen others on ramp and pulled out 3L+ so was quite surprised it was so low... Will see how it goes, hopefully i aint wrecked it

for future reference, am i best doing the final level when its on the ground? flat...?
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:07   #4
stegreg
VOC Member

try to measure what oil you get out, as you did before, so then you replace the same. check the oil level on the dip stick once level on the ground and then let it run for a couple of minutes. leave for 15 mins, then do a re check......then road test and do another level check, say 30 minutes after parking back up.

don't worry, I did a plank job on my 940 once, I followed advise to put 5w/30 engine oil in the engine. it was great when driving, but when stood in traffic, oh boy did the turbo start blowing oil smoke out....flushed the oil and put proper stuff back in.....hey presto no smoke.

Last edited by stegreg; Feb 7th, 2020 at 16:10.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:11   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
try to measure what oil you get out, as you did before, so then you replace the same. check the oil level on the dip stick once level on the ground and then let it run for a couple of minutes. leave for 15 mins, then do a re check......then road test and do another level check, say 39 minutes after parking back up.
39 minutes 'eh?
Thanks for that, i thought level ground would be best to do the level
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:21   #6
Critical Bill

Not sure what type atf fluid is recommended for your car.
I would buy 20 L cheap one if JSW3309 is recommended ) from here https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...mission-fluid/
and flushed whole 20l using Gibbons method without driving anywhere and then 20l from
opie using promo code " volvo" for 10 % discount https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69402-m...ion-fluid.aspx
Please check in manual what type atf is correct one for you Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I did expect to get more than 2.4l from the box, ive seen others on ramp and pulled out 3L+ so was quite surprised it was so low... Will see how it goes, hopefully i aint wrecked it
I always get 2.9 - 3L when car is of the ground but level but Im using 4 ramps

Quote:
for future reference, am i best doing the final level when its on the ground? flat...?
The way I'm always doing is I put back exactly same amount what I drained from transmission/radiator ( cold engine gibbons method) so I dont have to do final top up.
The best is if you check oil level when oil is hot (80*C)
Engine running, shift through all gears (3sec between) with foot on the brake and after 2 min ( engine still running) check the dipstick with clean paper and top up or drain if you put too much. Bear in mind there is 200ml between min and max

Last edited by Critical Bill; Feb 7th, 2020 at 16:42.
Critical Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Critical Bill For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:24   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Worse things have happened.
I think you'll be OK after you dilute the engine oil with correct ATF.

Here's where that 20l keg from Germany (Mannol?) would come in handy.

I'd skip the 200 miles between rinses. You needn't run oil contaminated fluid that long between drains. I'd drive it locally for 25 miles tops. I'd also stop the engine frequently during this operation to let the torque converter drain a bit.

Nowhere has anyone ever alluded to our torque converter's drain down characteristics. By shutting the engine down during the dilution process you're at least giving the TC a chance of draining.

You're not in for a high tech headache. You're in for the tedium of emptying the sump, driving some and refilling it several times.

JUST A THOUGHT: When driving about during this dilution process take note of how your transmission shifts and how it behaves going uphills or how it takes off at green lights.

If you feel slippage don't be surprised. However, don't floor it. Be gentle and stay on schedule. You will get the engine oil out.

How long did you drive between your first 2 GB fluid changes?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:43   #8
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks for the info guys

I have the T80 SC, wait, that don't look right, anyhoo, it's along those lines lol, no dipstick....

I didn't drive it at all, just ran it for a few minutes and dibthebslextor changes, that's all...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:46   #9
Critical Bill

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys

I have the T80 SC, wait, that don't look right, anyhoo, it's along those lines lol, no dipstick....

I didn't drive it at all, just ran it for a few minutes and dibthebslextor changes, that's all...
I though all transmissions on P2 has a dipstick

Please check this video if your is P3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M

Last edited by Critical Bill; Feb 7th, 2020 at 16:57.
Critical Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Critical Bill For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 17:27   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

Fair play for putting your hand up. That kind of thing happens to everyone, no exceptions. A metaphorical club tee shirt is on it's way to you
If you brought it to a garage, most likely all they would do is what they guys are suggesting anyway. When you see what comes out of these boxes at times and the car still running I hardly think a bit of engine oil will do a lot of harm.
Was the engine oil mineral base or fully synthetic?
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: