Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PWS and engine oil leaks

Views : 470

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 11:01   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default PWS and engine oil leaks

Hi folks

I think i have source the 2 leaks but as its a bit messy in there it was a little hard to determine, just want to run it by you just to see if its possible to have the PWS leak at the point ive marked on the image and same with the engine oil leak is it about right that it can leak from the o-ring at the bottom of the dipstick pipe? just mulling over these two at present, thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2020-02-23 105607.png (68.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png Annotation 2020-02-23 105714.png (80.7 KB, 26 views)
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 16:41   #2
Longhouse21
Master Member

Pinion shaft on the steering rack - yes. Seems to be a fairly common leak point on a number of steering racks for various cars. Could try one of the leak stop treatments (I've used Moly-Slip product in the past with limited success). Seals can harden with age and these are reputed to be able to restore some flexibility.
Dipstick o-ring - yes, but I would have thought that would indicate that the dip stick tube had been removed at some point and the o-ring not installed true on re-installation
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:25   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Hi. thanks for the reply, i will look into it
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:42   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Does anyone know if this is suitable for Volvo please? The liquid Moly says its suitable for steering gears that are filled with ATF II, ATF III or central hydraulic system oils, i take it the latter is CHS not CHF that volvo uses?
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 08:46   #5
Longhouse21
Master Member

Can't find the spec sheet for that particular product but look for a fluid compatible with CHF11S or the G 002 00 spec (VW group, BMW, Merc, Saab, Volvo) which I believe is technically same spec.
Could try calling the UK supplier http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products/p...ring-stop-leak , phone number at the bottom and appears to be based in Llangefni ,Anglesey, N Wales
The Liquid Moly product appears to be OK ( https://products.liqui-moly.com/powe...ak-stop-2.html ) as it specifically says Central Hydraulic system oils
Also Wynns product https://www.wynns.eu/product/power-s...op-leak_tubes/ appears to be OK as it mentions power steering oil G 002 000

Last edited by Longhouse21; Feb 24th, 2020 at 08:56.
Longhouse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:49   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
Can't find the spec sheet for that particular product but look for a fluid compatible with CHF11S or the G 002 00 spec (VW group, BMW, Merc, Saab, Volvo) which I believe is technically same spec.
Could try calling the UK supplier http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products/p...ring-stop-leak , phone number at the bottom and appears to be based in Llangefni ,Anglesey, N Wales
The Liquid Moly product appears to be OK ( https://products.liqui-moly.com/powe...ak-stop-2.html ) as it specifically says Central Hydraulic system oils
Also Wynns product https://www.wynns.eu/product/power-s...op-leak_tubes/ appears to be OK as it mentions power steering oil G 002 000
Thanks, just rang Lucas and they say its fine with all belt driven PWS
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 03:26   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

I decided on the Lucas version for now (should be here tomorrow) as it does state LEAK FIX RACK/BOX/PINION FLUID SEAL
The Moly was bit vague and lacking info so i can always come back to that one.

Thanks for the advice

Now, back to the possible leak from the dipstick pipe, i am seeing 1 screw in VIDA, is that all, unscrew and pull it out? Fit new o-ring, refit?

Assuming thats where the issues lays, will get some degreaser and try to clean stuff up some and go from there....
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 19:38   #8
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Being an 2006 car there is a good chance the leak will be caused by where the feed and return pipe goes in to the rack.
They are only held in with a clamp.
They come lose, so the clamp is not holding them tight, and move around in there holes in the rack, the holes then ware and cause leaks. Quite common.
Sometimes a new o ring will do. Or Occasionally putting two O rings on. Depending on how much the pipes and rack have worn off each other.
Don’t over tighten the clamp bolt as it will strip out of the soft aluminium.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 01:31   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
Being an 2006 car there is a good chance the leak will be caused by where the feed and return pipe goes in to the rack.
They are only held in with a clamp.
They come lose, so the clamp is not holding them tight, and move around in there holes in the rack, the holes then ware and cause leaks. Quite common.
Sometimes a new o ring will do. Or Occasionally putting two O rings on. Depending on how much the pipes and rack have worn off each other.
Don’t over tighten the clamp bolt as it will strip out of the soft aluminium.
Thanks Roger, i will look in to that, much appreciated
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 02:39   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

I forgot to update on this one, the Lucas fluid stopped or really minimised the leak, not been underneath to check, but the fluid level has not changed since i had to use the 2nd half of the bottle.

Also not gotten round to looking into the leak around the dipstick either, to be honest, i keep forgetting to buy the o-ring and to do the job, tailgate struts are working as they should and the bonnet opens on its own now since fitting new strut and adding the 2nd just sorting out the little nick nack jobs that improve the overall user enjoyment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: