Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Estate up for sale

Views : 3089

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:08   #11
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Wright View Post
Oh right sorry, no that's wrong that was when I was putting it on there just to see what the response was and I didn't really have any interest in selling the car but at that price I would have had too.
Had to make my mind up in the last few days and it does need to go.
Sorry for the confusion.
Joe
Joe

honestly you will kick yourself if you sell the car , is it a case of storage ? as you know how hard that is to find a good amazon estate they dont come along often in this condtion ....

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:20   #12
Joseph Wright

Default Estate

Hi Robert,
Yeah I know I will and I have had to think long and hard about it but unfortunately it is not about storage it is about needing the money to move. It came down to a house for me and my six year old boy or the car and despite both me and the lad being gutted about selling the car a house is more important.
It is a great shame.
Joe
Joseph Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Wright For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:28   #13
Joseph Wright

Default Estate

I do agree to some extent but most people do up cars and spend money on them for the love of old cars, i've done that to god knows how many and hardly ever make anything back. Much the opposite. In this case I am not making any money anyway as I said before, so it doesn't really apply.
If all you are going to do is make out i'm a money grabbing person would you mind not commenting on my post because it's a million miles away from the truth and i'm loosing money. You are also not in full posession of the facts and what has been done with the car and what I have had to do to the car in my ownership.
I read another post on here regarding prices of Amazons and people selling them at prices that people can't afford and how skilled mechanics can't make anything back from their work. There is a long conversation there that maybe you can get involved with. I am just trying to sell my car, that's all and you don't know me from Adam.
Many thanks
Joe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Wright For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:51   #14
skysurfer
VOC Member

If this estate is as good as it appears, I don't think asking £10k is unreasonable considering what it would cost to restore a poor one to this standard. I've spent plenty on my P1800S over 8 years of ownership and have probably only broken even in terms of value. However, I did it for the love of the car and took the philosophical view that although I may be spending an average of £1k a year on improvements, it would at least hold its value and still cost me much less than the depreciation on a modern box.
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 12:28   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

Currently 1 bid of £9k on the bay if anyone wants to go for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-rest...68237214&rt=nc
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 18:07   #16
gillberry
VOC Member

Those who have estates that are restored or in really good condition will be keeping an eye on this to give us an idea of the real values we could get for ours . Having said that once you have had all the work done on these wonderful cars selling is not something you really want to do .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 21:04   #17
Joseph Wright

Default Estate

No it's not something you want to do and I can categorically state I will be most probably loosing money or may break even. If anyone on here thinks that I am trying to just make a profit I can say how much I paid for the car and provide receipts for the new parts and work I have had carried out.
It does make me laugh hearing certain people having a dig at others who are trying to sell their car, it could be that the person has lost their job or is in a desperate situation. I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make what they have put into a car. The reason for me selling mine is that I split up with my girlfriend so me and my six year old need to find a house, quickly. That's not a sympathy vote that's just a reaction to being really really upset that I have been accused of being greedy.
I imagine if someone with an absolute fortune to their name offered any of us over the odds for a car we would turn it down. Don't think so.
This doesn't relate to everyone on here of course and thanks to those for your support.
Never thought selling a car would be like confession.
All the best
Joe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Wright For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 22:12   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Lovely estate and good luck with the sale Joe. It looks like it deserves top dollar.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 22:39   #19
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Good luck with the sale Joe The car looks amazing and is I am sure worth every penny, the engine bay is really good it looks like a new car.

Ps If I had the spare cash I would bite your arm off to have it. I hope you sort out the house thing.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 01:02   #20
Andy the Aussie

I say Best of luck mate... its a stunning car and whether it makes you a profit or not I say a car that has that much work put into it deserves a profit !

As someone who owns and has almost finished restoring an estate I know that you don't get a car to look that good without spending loads of time and money to restore one or just a hell of a lot of money to have one restored for you....

I really don't get the mentality behind enthusiasts who spend their own time and money on their own classic yet seem to think when it comes to a car being sold that,
The person who does all the hard work should get no financial reward for the project and the person who just sails in and buys a ready restored classic should get it for the lowest price possible...

my mind is very much set - you want a nice classic - put in the blood sweat and frustration to do it yourself with the skills you have learned along life's path or if you don't have the knowhow/time to do it then simple, earn your money doing what you do know and get your cash out if you want a classic car...

If you don't have skills or money - then either have a go and learn stuff the hard way or go without

rant over

I'm going back into the garage now - I have a car to finish building so I can enjoy it - do we see how this works ?

I'll be watching the auction and hoping it turns into a bidding war

andy.
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post: