Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon center consoles on e-bay

Views : 1745

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 00:06   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarMan View Post
I hope this helps. This image I have taken from a German Volvo Amazon Accessories catalogue that I found online in PDF format. So it seems the original included space for a clock and also for auxiliary switches, which would seem to me more useful than the modern thing on offer here. But of course finding an original is like finding rocking horse poo....
These are the "standard" consoles that were available for the Amazon and 140 from about 1969. The set-up shown is actually a Bahco warm air heater (petrol!) and the "clock" in that console is a timer for the Bahco.
I brought one back from Sweden a few weeks ago and as Volvorama said they are pretty flimsy. I have a couple of cracks to repair at the front. The fit around the gear lever boot has to be just right.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 08:25   #12
Underdrive

Interestingly a '65 Amazon has just popped up for sale here that has a centre console!
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 17:10   #13
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
Interestingly a '65 Amazon has just popped up for sale here that has a centre console!
Saw that, its a bit different than these in that it goes over the gearlever, a full photo of it would be nice...
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 20:41   #14
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
Saw that, its a bit different than these in that it goes over the gearlever, a full photo of it would be nice...
It's the same basic design and fitment at the one that ClassicCarMan posted a brochure pic of. Whether it is the exact same one but with the clock housing removed, or a variant produced without the clock, I can't say, as I don't know enough about the console options to know whether there were two different versions of this console design.

If anyone wants more pics of the clock version, I can take some and post them up.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:36   #15
ClassicCarMan

Default Tick, tock

Ha, ha, thank you Derek, I did not see that in the photo. I have a few scanned PDF's of Volvo accessories booklets and made assumptions - that will teach me! That is the only one I had that is a photo. I attach another scan showing various consoles Consoles.jpg. Sorry not very good quality.

Looks like you could buy the Volvo clock and then they suggest you buy the console as a 'suitable installation' for it. Would love to see any pics people have of one. What are you plans Derek after you made repairs to your console (will you use fiberglass matting)? Are they easy to get hold of in Sweden? Thank you.
ClassicCarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 01:11   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Cracks in mine aren't too bad and I've just got a tube of Evo-Stik PVC pipe weld glue to see if that works. It's a "melting" type glue so needs a bit of extra care. Might use some fibreglass tape or ultra fine brass gauze plus resin, or a bit more of the glue, on the inside for extra support. Currently no clock with mine but I have one of the 60mm Volvo ones to go in. I don't think that Volvo listed them until the 140 came out and although they then list them as suitable for the Amazon as well, the rear part of the console is wide and flat. That matches the 140 tunnel but not the smaller and more rounded Amazon one. Amazon needs a bit of extra support added underneath to stiffen it up at the back. Fixing screws really need to go right down through the metal body, Not good but at the time I doubt it was considered "a bad thing".
I had a choice of 4 on one stall and one on another at the Volvo market in Sweden (outside of CVI's shop). The single one had a clock but was missing the carpet fillers. SKR500 - £45. The four I had to choose from on another stall had three clock style ones and one without. Picked the best of the clock style ones and haggled it down to quite a bit less then the first one. I'm sure that they aren't too common over there but bound to be more available than here.
Have a browse around the accessory brochures here. Also shows that they did a console with an armrest. Not seen one and it would be a good find.
http://www.164club.se/broschyr/
This thread should really be in the main tech section..............
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 01:30   #17
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Cracks in mine aren't too bad and I've just got a tube of Evo-Stik PVC pipe weld glue to see if that works. It's a "melting" type glue so needs a bit of extra care. Might use some fibreglass tape or ultra fine brass gauze plus resin, or a bit more of the glue, on the inside for extra support. Currently no clock with mine but I have one of the 60mm Volvo ones to go in. I don't think that Volvo listed them until the 140 came out and although they then list them as suitable for the Amazon as well, the rear part of the console is wide and flat. That matches the 140 tunnel but not the smaller and more rounded Amazon one. Amazon needs a bit of extra support added underneath to stiffen it up at the back. Fixing screws really need to go right down through the metal body, Not good but at the time I doubt it was considered "a bad thing".
I had a choice of 4 on one stall and one on another at the Volvo market in Sweden (outside of CVI's shop). The single one had a clock but was missing the carpet fillers. SKR500 - £45. The four I had to choose from on another stall had three clock style ones and one without. Picked the best of the clock style ones and haggled it down to quite a bit less then the first one. I'm sure that they aren't too common over there but bound to be more available than here.
Have a browse around the accessory brochures here. Also shows that they did a console with an armrest. Not seen one and it would be a good find.
http://www.164club.se/broschyr/
This thread should really be in the main tech section..............
I have one of those clock ones fitted to my amazon estate with rev counter in there atm but i have two clocks same size to pop in if i wanted to , and it fits perfect allround i also have another three standard ones without clock one fitted to my other white amazon estate that one seems to fit ok i do prefer the one with the clock only down side is you must have it in the correct place of the gearstick taps the top of the pod where clock goes lol

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:33   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Which rev counter are you using in the console Robert? Picture?

This is opening up a can of worms here. The large Volvo clock is an 80mm fit and the small one is 60mm. I've just measured the hole in my "new" console and its 65mm and looks original. The moulded part is too small to be modified for an 80mm clock unless you remove a bit at the bottom where it changes section. There is a small notch at the top which is probably there to stop whatever should be fitted from turning round. Might indicate that this is for a Bahco timer which is clockwork and wound up like a kitchen timer. To fit a 60mm clock you would need a small adaptor ring. I have a console in my hibernating and inaccessible at the moment 2 door, and that has, AFAIK, one of the larger clocks. The plot thickens.

Clock wedged in with rubber strips

Spot the cracks. The flash makes the finish much worse than it is but it's not had a good clean yet/

If it works electrically it should be possible to fit a 240 rev counter if you can find a suitable case and front glass/rim. An aerosol lid would fit nicely behind the face and cover up some of the works.

Yes, the gear lever can tap the console, especially if the gear lever socket is worn but more often it's because your trying to rush the change and you're forcing it against the surprisingly strong synchromesh. The rubber bush in the lever can also flex, it's a long lever!

Last edited by Derek UK; Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:41.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 19:04   #19
222s
Amazoniste

Regarding the origins of yours Derek, those round holes (are they as OEM / original as they appear in the pics?) look very different to what I've seen previously. On the 80mm clock ones (aren't these the ones most commonly seen in the UK as they were also offered as an option for the 140?), there is usually four blanked off switch plinths in the recessed panel in between the clock and the storage tray. They are exactly the right size for these rocker switches.

Incidentally, the console that takes the larger clock is ideal for an 80mm Smiths tacho - plenty of styles available, depending on personal preference.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 21:36   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The one I have in my 2 door has 3 slim rectangular switch blanks in plus an orange illuminated rocker switch. Can't remember if the switch is connected to anything. From looking at brochure pics the switch panel sometimes comes with a thin plate with Volvo on it stuck over the top. My "new" one looks as if it has some glue residue on it.