Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt not running straight - 04 LPT

Views : 4555

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:06   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillapow View Post
New Gates kit is in the pipeline!
Gates make the genuine aux belt and I'm pretty certain Contitech make the genuine timing belt.
If you buy a Gates kit, who makes the pulleys?
You can get a genuine kit for £80. No guessing and quality guaranteed.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:07   #12
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
There's a definite pulley squeak and I think my money is on the timing idler but go through the lot with a fine toothed comb.
I know it's a petrol but is that belt too slim also?

Have you got info on exactly what was fitted and which makes of component?
Yes, squeek dissapears after a few minutes of running, now that you come to mention it, the belt does look a little slim, but having googled the variants, it does come back as the right belt!! Didnt know Continental did timing belts.

Part number on Invoice was CT979K1 -

Volvos are great cars, sometimes.

Last edited by pillapow; Aug 19th, 2015 at 20:10.
pillapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:08   #13
oragex
Premier Member

At the end of the video, the engine was cold? The tensioner gauge moves as it should, if the engine was cold the gauge is indeed a little towards the hot setting but not that bad - it doesn't need to be exactly in between the two legs. Adjusting it precisely is not always easy. Edit: you can readjust it if you want to sit between the two legs, loose the bolt a bit, not fully, reset the tensioner with an allen key (check out Youtube videos on how to), then set it between the legs and tighten the tensioner to 15 ft-lbs which is not too much.

There is definitely a pulley or a shaft that is wobbling. From the picture it seems the wobbling starts at the crankshaft.

Last edited by oragex; Aug 19th, 2015 at 20:13.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:12   #14
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
LOl,

Thread aint over yet then...
Having had a second look at the invoice, it was invoiced to MBM Garage Church St, Radcliffe, Manchester. I suppose they fited it. For it to be like that after 50k though, surely they havent tensioned it right?

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:14   #15
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
At the end of the video, the engine was cold? The tensioner gauge moves as it should, if the engine was cold the gauge is indeed a little towards the hot setting but not that bad - it doesn't need to be exactly in between the two legs. Adjusting it precisely is not always easy.

There is definitely a pulley or a shaft that is wobbling. From the picture it seems the wobbling starts at the crankshaft.
Yes, engine was cold but ive never come across a cambelt that could be literally slid off the camshaft pulley with one finger !

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:20   #16
4candles
I've Been Banned

Regardless, new kit and all will be well im sure.

It is impossible to ascertain what exactly was changed, therein lies a dilemma for all.

If you can do it yourself, or stand over the mech, then thats the only way to be sure whats been changed and whats not.

Btw, regarding your comment re. Continental, 3M make hip replacements as well as ear plugs and dust maks and automotve masking tapes....lol

(if indeed contitech is Continental, but ,,,)
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:42   #17
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Gates make the genuine aux belt and I'm pretty certain Contitech make the genuine timing belt.
If you buy a Gates kit, who makes the pulleys?
You can get a genuine kit for £80. No guessing and quality guaranteed.
Could you point me in the direction of the kit at that price, Can only find D5 ones at the £80 mark. Thanks Red.

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 22:10   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Could you point me in the direction of the kit at that price, Can only find D5 ones at the £80 mark. Thanks Red.
Have a word with Simon at FRF Swansea.
They recently advertised £80 cam belt kits on here with no particular engine stipulations.
Also Sturgess Leicester.
To be honest, I think there's a shed load of old stock at central stores because a few dealers were offering them cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 00:10   #19
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, engine was cold but ive never come across a cambelt that could be literally slid off the camshaft pulley with one finger !
The belt seems indeed a little loose. The tensioner needle moves normally but it seems the belt has already some loose like it was a tad too long. I remember I could not lift the top of the belt that easy with only two fingers. But once you lift it it releases tension on the upper portion and it's more easy to slide it sideways on the cam pulleys. Try slide it after the engine stops, it should be quite hard to do.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 12:47   #20
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
The belt seems indeed a little loose. The tensioner needle moves normally but it seems the belt has already some loose like it was a tad too long. I remember I could not lift the top of the belt that easy with only two fingers. But once you lift it it releases tension on the upper portion and it's more easy to slide it sideways on the cam pulleys. Try slide it after the engine stops, it should be quite hard to do.
Ive pulled it apart already! I didnt want to risk running the engine any further after what i found on the belt, Also, i could rotate the cambelt idler bearing easily with cambelt still around it, it was terrible.

The Following User Says Thank You to pillapow For This Useful Post:

Tags
cambelt, facelift, lpt, tensioner, volvo