Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clunk/ knock from rear

Views : 1048

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2014, 19:10   #1
delticol

Default Clunk/ knock from rear

OK, I have a clunk/ knock going on at the rear offside when I go over bumps. It seems worse when cold. I replaced all the drop links a few weeks ago. What do people think? rear shocks???
delticol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 17:56   #2
delticol

Any ideas people??
Old May 13th, 2014, 20:33   #3
V70RMW
Master Member

TRear antiroll bar bushes? The ones that mount the bar to the chassis.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 21:13   #4
delticol

Wouldnt the noise be all the time?? this only happens when cold like something is sticking.
Old May 13th, 2014, 21:46   #5
V70RMW
Master Member

A fair point but I'm not sure it would be quite that easy. When I had a noisy top mount at the front it did seem worse when hot. You could well be right about the shocks so certainly worth checking them. At least not to bad to fix, unlike the ARB bushes which I found a real pig - and never really fixed properly with new bushes.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 23:50   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Exhaust, loose battery or spare wheel?
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 14:27   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, You're a new member so one thing you'll learn is that "what's this noise?" and "I have a noise" posts have the lowest rate of pinpointing. That goes for all automotive boards.

You can disconnect something like a shock's base and drive it a bit (it will bounce a lot so you won't want to go far) and see if the noise changes.

Had you, for example, disconnected a sway bar link, the sway bar bushings would've been removed from the action as well.

You didn't identify your car. There's no info on your car in your public profile. You gave us nothing to work with. We can't even base guesses on the age of common maintenance items. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2014, 19:40   #8
delticol

Ah sorry, its a 2003 S60D5. Its a strange one, I drove the car today, the weather was warm and guess what, no knocks at all.
Old May 17th, 2014, 07:27   #9
delticol

Latest update on this. Yesterday I changed the rear shocks as the car had done 120k on the originals (less than £50 from GSF car parts on e-bay) took about 1 hour.... very straight forward job. Took longer jacking it up high enough to get them out. Anyway after taking the car out for a run the knock seems to have been cured but the weather is warm now so we'll see what its like when it gets colder. However I did notice a little knock when I throttle off/on. I cannot determine which end or side of the car this is coming from. The drop links are brand new also and the bushes all appear to be good. I think I will let this one develop.