Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 clicking noise engine off?

Views : 3454

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2014, 23:48   #1
DSB Cheshire

Default S60 clicking noise engine off?

Hi all,

Got home tonight, turned engine off and noted a clicking noise coming from drivers side engine bay...seemed to get louder when I opened the door? done some research and pulled a few fuses, headlamp motor / wiper, central locking, still remains, alarm siren fuse was pulled months ago...the clicking gets steadily less after about 10mins, but still clicking after 2hrs, click noise much quieter...any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by DSB Cheshire; May 15th, 2014 at 23:52.
DSB Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 00:07   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Double post.
Old May 16th, 2014, 00:07   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

It's possible your alarm siren unit is on its way out so see if you can activate it.
Lock your car with the remote in the usual way but leave your window down, then wave your hand around in the car after about a minute or unlock and open the driver's door with the key (not the remote).
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:09   #4
DSB Cheshire

Thanks for reply...but as I stated above alarm siren fuse was pulled out months ago as I had alarm service display warning...so why would it still be active?

Just been out to car this morning, still a faint click can be heard...just hope it will start.

Any further help much appreciated, possible causes, what fuses could be pulled other than above? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's possible your alarm siren unit is on its way out so see if you can activate it.
Lock your car with the remote in the usual way but leave your window down, then wave your hand around in the car after about a minute or unlock and open the driver's door with the key (not the remote).
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:44   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

It's not the ecu box by any chance? I've noticed a high frequency clicking from there on occasion.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:47   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB Cheshire View Post
Thanks for reply...but as I stated above alarm siren fuse was pulled out months ago as I had alarm service display warning...so why would it still be active?

Just been out to car this morning, still a faint click can be heard...just hope it will start.

Any further help much appreciated, possible causes, what fuses could be pulled other than above? thanks.
The siren is fitted with a rechargeable battery, and they behave very oddly when they're on their way out.
Mine did a very faint alarm sound for weeks, then a clicking sound before it died.
It's straight inside the offside front wing so stick your ear flat against it. It'll be easy to eliminate/confirm.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2014, 16:37   #7
DSB Cheshire

ok thanks for info...so even with F38 pulled out you can still get this 'discharge' noise until siren battery is fully discharged / dead...the car started as normal today, been clicking all night...clicking loudly when i turned off after short drive...will get my ear to wing later...

Quote:
The siren is fitted with a rechargeable battery, and they behave very oddly when they're on their way out.
Mine did a very faint alarm sound for weeks, then a clicking sound before it died.
It's straight inside the offside front wing so stick your ear flat against it. It'll be easy to eliminate/confirm.
Old May 16th, 2014, 17:06   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
ok thanks for info...so even with F38 pulled out you can still get this 'discharge' noise until siren battery is fully discharged
It did with mine. I guess that's the point of a rechargeable backup though.
It'd be a pretty poor system if all a thief had to do was pop the dash panel off and pull a fuse.
Old May 16th, 2014, 21:31   #9
DSB Cheshire

Update: Did exactly as you said, the noise is definitely in that area, so pretty sure siren battery is on way out like you stated, as I have already pulled F38 and aint gonna change I guess if I leave alone and wait for it to die..which could take few weeks,this will have no negative affect on the car?

Quote:
Old May 16th, 2014, 21:44   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Update: Did exactly as you said, the noise is definitely in that area, so pretty sure siren battery is on way out like you stated, as I have already pulled F38 and aint gonna change I guess if I leave alone and wait for it to die..which could take few weeks,this will have no negative affect on the car?
No, there's no negative effect.
I had mine out to change the battery (pretty easy job) but my circuit board was shot from the leaking acid, so it's now unplugged and has been for a while whilst I wait for a used siren with functioning circuit board.
If you don't leave it too long, you may be able to save the siren and avoid the inevitable Alarm Service Required message for the price of a £16 battery.