Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maintenance Warning

Views : 659

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:06   #1
TomV70R

Default Maintenance Warning

Happy New Year all!
After leaving my 2012 V70 D5 R-Design on the drive for two weeks over Christmas, I’ve got a maintenance warning on the dash when I start her up.
Any ideas what this might be? Had her serviced since the summer and done about 2k!
Cheers
Tom
TomV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:37   #2
Model flyer
Master Member

If its the normal service notice that comes on every time you start for a minute or so then the garage that serviced it possibly forgot or didn't reset the warning. You can do it yourself . search on line or here on the forum . It may take two or three goes to get it right and reset. If its engine service then check oil level . If level is a bit high take out 0.5 liter and it should reset within a day or so of driving.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:40.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 19:47   #3
TomV70R

I don’t have a dip stick mate. No way of checking oil level... which I hate!
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 20:22   #4
NAD

To check the oil level using the electronic dipstick:
1/ insert key in dash
2/ don't touch pedals and press and hold stop/start button for approx 3 seconds until all the dash lights come on, then release button
3/ use scroll wheel on left indicator stalk to scroll through functions.
When ignition is set to "position 2" in this way the oil level is included.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 17:31   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

What exactly did the message say? It's shouldn't be 'regular maintenance' message after 6 months/2k unless you took to somewhere that doesn't know how to reset the service warning.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 20:28   #6
TomV70R

NAD - thank you mate! Good to know. Incidentally, my oil level is bang on middle.

Simon - it says “Book Time for Maintenance” with the spanne icon.

The last service was Volvo main dealer in Maidenhead.

I’ll have to run it up there, just wondering if anyone had had this before...
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:06   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Only when service due, that message comes up about 4 weeks before the service due date.

Either it was not reset or some gremlin has triggered it, either way I would be taking it back to the servicing dealer to sort.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 22:09   #8
TomV70R

Roger that Paul.

If anyone’s had such gremlins that trigger the “Book Maintenance” warning, please shout. Not a huge amount of trust in my local dealer
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 18:26   #9
1monkey600

I can live with it but I too had issues with premature service messages flashing up.
I bought my LHD xc70 MY2016 with 3yr Selekt warranty in June 2017 with a fresh service carried out before collection. Car had just under 120k kms in the 25mths since new so it was effectively having two services per year before I bought it with anniversary of previous service due in October 2017.

Now for the odd stuff: the book time for maintenance message came on in the beginning of September. I took it to my nearest dealer, not the one I bought the car from, who checked out the car with VIDA with nothing found. He thought it odd as well but that there was nothing underlying to worry about and could only surmise that perhaps things were somehow counting down from the 'last but one' service rather than the actual 'last service'; (I hope that makes sense) because we checked the service status in the dash and that was showing correctly that the elapsed time / distance was counting down from the day I collected the car. Car is doing less than half the mileage than it was with the previous owner. I Just lived with the book time message since then.

In November I took the car back to the local dealer to get software for both RTTI and for new towing module to be downloaded and installed. It may have been immediately related to that but I only noticed a couple of days later that the message, coincidentally, now stated 'Time for regular maintenance' in the dashboard. Worse, on checking the service status display, that was now showing zero miles and zero time to next service.
Back to the local dealer who was once again stumped because installing the software shouldn't have affected the service indicator. Timing was again within reasonable timing of being the anniversary of last but one service though.

I'm told that VIDA apparently cannot reset the service status with intermediate values i.e. The specific outstanding kms/months to count down to 30k kms 12mth anniversary of last official service in June. Only option was to leave it as is, with message appearing for few seconds on each start up, OR, reset for 30k kms/12 mths from 'now'. We opted for the first option rather than forgetting and wrongly relying on future service status, to avoid losing our three year warranty.
If it happens again next time around the local service manager says he will look at changing out various modules under selekt warranty.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote