Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Many Miles Per Tank Do You Get?

Views : 1396

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2019, 22:40   #11
StanC
'Mature' Member

My 1996 960 3Ltr 24v has a 70 litre tank and starting with a full tank it consistently gets to 260-280 miles before the gauge indicates half full. The low fuel warning light comes on at around 400 miles and just once, about 18 years ago, I got to 430 miles before I could get to a filling station! I was sweating that day and since then I've not let it go beyond about 360 miles before topping up.

Stan
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 23:00   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanC View Post
The low fuel warning light comes on
What alchemy and trickery dost thou speakest of? A Low Fuel Warning Light? 'Tis witchcraft i tell 'ee!

When did they start fitting such animals to the 7/9xx range? I've not seen a 7xx with one (in fact i've barely seen a 7xx with a working fuel gauge!) and although i've seen a 1993/4 "Volvo" with one, i put that down to the fact it was a thinly disguised Renault and it had sprouted a "feu d'orange de la pas de l'essence" but the less said about that white elephant the better!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 06:51   #13
mjk164
VOC Member

Dave, my 1993 960 has a low fuel warning light and it comes on when the needle is just about on the lowest mark. When it comes on I know I have about 30 miles left. Over 19 years of 960 experience gives you this confidence .....and I always have a 10 ltr spare tank in the boot, just in case! With a careful right foot I regularly get 400 miles per tank; thats about 28/29 mpg on motorways and about 22 in the town.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 07:56   #14
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What alchemy and trickery dost thou speakest of? A Low Fuel Warning Light? 'Tis witchcraft i tell 'ee!
Indeed Dave! However, Moomin is so-equipped. Prior to his tankpumpectomy, the light gave warning at approximately 80km before death throes. Now its a less useful 40km.

I know this because we cruised silently into a fuel station one morning with nothing on the gauge but the maker's name, the engine stalled and HI sitting next to me fuming at my reluctance to add fuel earlier. Coasting to the pump I had the audacity to point out that my quantity surveying had been spot on.

The bruising has almost gone.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 08:17   #15
Dippydog
Premier Member

I have absolutely no idea! I put fuel in drive off and when it needs more fuel I put it in.If I was worried about fuel consumption/range I wouldn't run a 3L Omega a 3L 960 and a 2.4L V70.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 08:33   #16
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The Valdez used to give me about 28-30mpg on my commute (Rural A-road and motorway) but a failed coolant temperature sensor and change of use to local journeys saw it fall to around 22mpg.

A run to the Northern BKV last year (M56, M6, M62 and A1) saw it rise to 28mpg and following a replacement CTS it has improved to 26mpg.

A Stage Zero tune-up is pending so I'm looking for a return to the somewhere near the original 28mpg.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 08:50   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
Dave, my 1993 960 has a low fuel warning light and it comes on when the needle is just about on the lowest mark. When it comes on I know I have about 30 miles left. Over 19 years of 960 experience gives you this confidence .....and I always have a 10 ltr spare tank in the boot, just in case! With a careful right foot I regularly get 400 miles per tank; thats about 28/29 mpg on motorways and about 22 in the town.
Thanks Garth, seems the 7xx range didn't get one but the 9xx did. I often travel with a spare can of fuel in the boot, usually when i'm heading to the filling station. The gauge usually works for a short time after filling up so i know roughly what it's doing on the economy and i zero the trip each time. Only been caught out once and that was by a fuel leak, other than that i've usually managed to have slightly more showing on the gauge after fueling than the previous time.
The rest of the time the fuel gauge has all the work ethics of a 1970s coal miner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Indeed Dave! However, Moomin is so-equipped. Prior to his tankpumpectomy, the light gave warning at approximately 80km before death throes. Now its a less useful 40km.

I know this because we cruised silently into a fuel station one morning with nothing on the gauge but the maker's name, the engine stalled and HI sitting next to me fuming at my reluctance to add fuel earlier. Coasting to the pump I had the audacity to point out that my quantity surveying had been spot on.

The bruising has almost gone.
Blimey Ash - with a wife like that, who needs enemies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I have absolutely no idea! I put fuel in drive off and when it needs more fuel I put it in.If I was worried about fuel consumption/range I wouldn't run a 3L Omega a 3L 960 and a 2.4L V70.
It's not so much worrying about economy, it's more a case of if you know roughly what you usually get, it's easier to spot if there's a situation of impending doom, whether that's a fuel leak, blocked cat or something more sinister.
Many moons ago i had a Nissan 300C (3.0 V6) which no matter how/where i drove it, returned 35mpg. When that suddenly dropped to 20mpg, at first i wasn't too worried as my use had changed radically - however when i again used it as i previously had and it still only gave 20mpg, not to mention a strong pong of petrol on the over-run, i new i had a problem. Opening the bonnet with the engine idling gave me a shower of unleaded - the fuel return line was leaking!

Only a pinhole but with two hot exhaust manifolds to choose from to ignite on, i doubt disaster would have been far away!

A new length of fuel hose not only paid for itself in the first few days but also made life safe again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 16:46   #18
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi all
my 940 diesel does about 31mpg round town and local but i got 41mpg on a round trip to cornwall last year doing no more than 70 mph its been doing that since ive had the car coming up to 20 years and 265000 miles now !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 19:55   #19
peter burton

Default 760 GLE horrendous 17mpg

My first Volvo many years ago a D reg 765GLE did 17mpg, that V6 motor just drank fuel. Then I got a 945TDI that did 34 to 39 at most. Then a V70CD 2.5 that did 25 to 28. Now I have a V90 1997 that to does 25 ish most of the time. I never drive in a manner to conserve fuel but not a hooligan either. Every one of them would happily cruise at 90 rather than 70, the diesel especially ran at a sweet spot at that speed. V90 by far the best of all of them but all have been very good to me over 25 plus years.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 21:00   #20
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, My 1998 V70, 2.5, 20v auto does mainly motorway miles and returns 35 mpg. I assume that is par for these cars.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post: