Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Project. Raspberry Pi Stereo

Views : 2948

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 06:56   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
Mechanical engineer by trade and fuggin hate anything computery, so could be a steep learning curve. The plan is to get it working on the desk and then stick it in the Death Star. Will be stereo to begin with and then I'll be looking to make it 5.1 surround.
The lions share of this project lies in the area you confess yo knowing nothing about. It’s not trivial.
Not at all.
You may be biting off more than you can chew.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 07:45   #12
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
It’s not trivial.
Not at all.
You may be biting off more than you can chew.
+1 that.

I know that i sound stuck on linux, but it is precisely because of software shortcomings and inability to overcome these

in linux one can run android apps AND tailor the software

it may need actually CREATING a driver for a device, unfortunately.

or a GUI..

And its not a small task, even though it will be a lot easier than in andro..

still- easy (but with limits) way out is to use Android..

have a lookie here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289226

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIQPVxMbSJU

and here he`s got a phone on his dasboard
idea is nice, but i want control over it without stopping the car, even without diverting my eyes from the road!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjwd637mog

Last edited by ThomasG; Jul 13th, 2019 at 08:25.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:09   #13
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

opened that thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...25#post2535925

just so i wont wreck yours
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 14:04   #14
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Okey dokey, third time lucky posting this reply... Let's blame the stinking hangover.

First, I think I should set out the aim of this stereo. I'm after (not too complicated)

Phase 1

Play music - via phone, USB stick or sd card
Dab radio
Sat nav - via phone or direct (already have a couple of sat nav aerials on windscreen)
Hands free calls
Works whether it's myself or the wife driving
Shuts down safely when car switched off
Doesn't set on fire
Torque or similar
Be handy to display speed in mph as speedo still in kph

Phase 2/additional wish list

Dolby 5.1
Video/games in back
Steering wheel controls
Ability to cut off rear speakers, handy when kids are in back doing what they do (or asleep) and the wife and I are in the front. Happy with just putting a button or dial on the dash

EDIT: At the minute I have a reverse camera working through the Japanese sat nav and being displayed (permanently) on the screen coming out the top of my dash. In the future I may put this through the pi display. Would also like to have a camera of the front, but that's a long way in the future.

As for my programming ability, I've programmed in C++ and a few others a loooong time ago back at uni. It's not that I'm coming from this knowing nothing (although I've never played with Linux), it's just that I generally don't like it. Maybe because you can't hit anything with a hammer like proper engineering

Anyway, more shiny bits arrived today. If possible I really want to put the little cubby hole back in this as I use it all the time (wallet, phone, etc). I'm expecting to have to milliput it to get the screen looking right anyway, so this might end up wrapped in brushed ally to match the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190713_140425.jpg (217.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by HankScorpio; Jul 13th, 2019 at 14:17.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 14:11   #15
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Maybe I should change the name of this thread to 'My next half finished project, raspberry pi stereo'
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 19:18   #16
HankScorpio
Floppy member

I know there are a few people following this thread, so it's due an update.

All the bits arrived today, so as it stands I have: Raspberry Pi4, official Raspberry Pi 7 inch touch screen, micro sd card, Bluetooth dongle, USB sound card, DAB box + antenna, USB cable (for phone), (powered) USB hub and new facia. To hand, I also have a USB keyboard and my lads xbox headset (for testing soundcard/mic).

The Pi screen is close to 2 Din size but doesn't quite fit, so my task for the next few days is to work out how to mount it securely in the new facia while still looking pretty. I'm thinking a dremel and some milliput may be handy here. I need to buy some brushed ally wrap for the gear knob surround as mine has a big gouge out of it, so don't be too suprised if the facia ends up in the same stuff.

After spending a long time weighing up options, I have paid for Openauto (£25) and have downloaded this to my SD card. The download also includes the Pi OS.

So, I plugged it all in tonight and ABSOLUTELY BUGGER ALL HAPPENED! Turns out that Openauto isn't yet ready for the Pi4. I thought this might happen, but thought I'd future proof myself. After checking the forums, Blue Wave, who make Openauto, will have a new release over the next week or so, so it's not a problem... This is also why I can focus on the mounting

I'll provide another update shortly and I'll try to get some decent photos later on tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 19:20   #17
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Oh, if anyone is interested, the most useful thing I found was a channel called Automate Everything on YouTube. He's only got a few videos so the ones on this are easy to find. You will want to watch all four though as he makes changes and modifications by the end.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 20:14   #18
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Couple of quick pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190717_201032.jpg (72.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190717_201315.jpg (212.0 KB, 20 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:47   #19
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Quick bit of dremel action between work calls has left me with this. Going to cut down the outer surround so it sits flush with the main body.

I think the screen itself will be sandwiched between two pieces of foam incase of jolts as its currently resting on its very thin glass edges. I also need to knock up something for the back of it to hold it secure via the four spare fixing points. This might be made from wood and epoxy

So far, so good(ish)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190718_163510.jpg (50.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190718_164612.jpg (88.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190718_164631.jpg (61.7 KB, 20 views)
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 18:36   #20
HankScorpio
Floppy member

So then, openauto has new fw (to work with pi4) and we're away. Boots up and loads.

I have music and sat nav via android auto/my phone. I can make phone calls via Bluetooth, but I sound like a robot and the wife sounds like a smurf. Can't get dab to work yet.

I haven't done anything more than plug all the bits together and join the Bluetooth.

I'll start to fiddle with settings and see where that gets me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190722_183122.jpg (116.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190722_183100.jpg (113.3 KB, 24 views)