Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine System Service Required

Views : 1759

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 11:42   #11
V70Zig
Master Member

What green van man ^^^^^^^ say's above (typical..last post then as we are now on page 2). When I dropped the wife off earlier and with the passenger door open I couldn't scroll, soon an the door was closed functionality returned.....so get some oil out that engine but don't expect the message to go immediately but after some driving.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.

Last edited by V70Zig; Mar 31st, 2018 at 11:44.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 17:08   #12
Bristoldoug

Thanks for all the replies.
As I don't have any axle stands to hand I went down to screwfix and purchased an oil replacement kit - which is basically a suction hose like one of those things you use to blow up balloons with. Had to go to B&Q and buy some 5mm clear pvc hose as well.

But saved having to drop the under engine cover - and get covered in oil. I was then able to remove about 600ml or so of oil from the dipstick tube. And level is now showing about 2/3rds full.

Obviously will keep an eye on oil levels over the next week or so and hopefully the message will go away in a few days or so.

Many thanks everyone - I will keep you posted on events.

Last edited by Bristoldoug; Mar 31st, 2018 at 17:17.
Bristoldoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bristoldoug For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 17:45   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

2/3s is a little low and ideally the level should be 3/4 but in the short term it shouldn't do any harm.

My guess is that the over fill is not due to regeneration problems but is human error on the part of the mechanic replacing the oil. He may not have known that on your particular model the original dipstick markings are no longer correct. You should check if the car has up-to-date software upgrades as the DPF problem was fixed in the software which also changed the levels on the dashboard oil level display. However, all the software upgrades in the world can't change the die stamped markings on the metal dipstick!
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 16:08   #14
MartinK

When the (crap) indie put too much oil in my car (to the full mark on the dipstick) I also to the "engine system service reqd" message

Like you I took ~half a litre of oil out.

After several journeys the message disappeared and all was well. Obviously it remembers for a short time...

Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 17:13   #15
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristoldoug View Post
No I get nothing at all - and when as is the case currently, the message that shows up about the engine service, I cant acknowledge it all - so am unable to scroll through the details about fuel consumption and speed etc with the wheel on the stalk.

Hope that makes sense.
You should be able to press the 'READ' button on the end of the stalk. If memory serves the sequence goes along the lines of-
*You have 1 warning
*Engine system service needed
*Info display or other message such as doors open/rear seatbelts used (You'll only get the seatbelt message if a rear door is opened)

Pressing read again will start the sequence all over.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 19:23   #16
Bristoldoug

Great news - got in the car tonight to drive home from work and the message had gone !!!
Must have taken about 7 or 8 journeys and about 50 or 60 miles to clear - although drive to work today was about 20 miles - so thats the one that probably cleared it.
Thanks all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bristoldoug For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 18:27   #17
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Great news - got in the car tonight to drive home from work and the message had gone !!!
Must have taken about 7 or 8 journeys and about 50 or 60 miles to clear - although drive to work today was about 20 miles - so thats the one that probably cleared it.
Thanks all.
Great news....but you fail to say if the read and scroll work now....hope they do.

Old Apr 4th, 2018, 19:14   #18
Bristoldoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
Great news....but you fail to say if the read and scroll work now....hope they do.
The scroll now works but the read message button still does nothing - i would expect it to say no messages to display.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 17:57   #19
Bristoldoug

Ok so a bit of an update - so the message has not come back which is good. But I thought I would check the oil level again to be on the safe side - and it looks to me that the level has risen slightly. There are 8 x markings to indicate low to high, and after sucking up about 600 mls of oil it was reading 5 x so just over half way full. This morning it was reading between 5 and 6 x. Now of course I could have read the dipstick wrong the other day - so will definitely keep an eye on things.

But assuming that it does keep creeping up - what does that indicate?
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 11:39   #20
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
The scroll now works but the read message button still does nothing - i would expect it to say no messages to display.

You could try opening and closing the rear passenger door 1st then get in and start the car - You should now have a message "No rear seat belts used".
Press the button and it should clear it, if it does not clear then there might be a problem with the button........

Quote:
Ok so a bit of an update - so the message has not come back which is good. But I thought I would check the oil level again to be on the safe side - and it looks to me that the level has risen slightly. There are 8 x markings to indicate low to high, and after sucking up about 600 mls of oil it was reading 5 x so just over half way full. This morning it was reading between 5 and 6 x. Now of course I could have read the dipstick wrong the other day - so will definitely keep an eye on things.

But assuming that it does keep creeping up - what does that indicate?
When you first removed the oil was the engine cold ? As oil levels are best checked when left overnight to allow it all to return to the sump.......