Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector Removal/fuel rail.

Views : 1292

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 18:59   #1
Motas88

Default Injector Removal/fuel rail.

Hi all,

Tackling the PCV service issue just now and am stumped as to how to get the fuel rail/injectors out. They are really stuck in the ports and don’t want to yank them out. I can’t find any how to’s that relate to my model year, all seems to be pre or post mine. Also mine has a different fuel line does it have to be disconnected. Either manual throttle body or electronic throttle control mines electronic but looks completely different to any how to.

If anybody has done it a step by step link would be appreciated and I will post pics for any one in the future!

Post March 2000 C70 2.0T GS (163)

Kind regards

Tom
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 19:16   #2
Motas88

Tried to edit.

Mine has an electronic throttle and a fuel rail with the schrader valve on the off side. (Britain).
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:23   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I can't remember the details of exactly where I disconnected it, but when I did mine I left the injectors and rail on the manifold when I removed it....
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 09:22   #4
turboboy
Master Member

Default Injector rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
I can't remember the details of exactly where I disconnected it, but when I did mine I left the injectors and rail on the manifold when I removed it....
Same here.

Was a while ago so cannot remember the detail but I did struggle a bit and then left it attached to the manifold.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 09:54   #5
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Same here

But chaps remind me please. Would you immediately change engine oil and filter after cleaning the ports or start up before change ?

I cannot remember what I did last time but despite giving them a proper rodding I still had positive pressure so removed the inlet pipe and gave the port another go. Seamless ever since
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 10:41   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Same here

But chaps remind me please. Would you immediately change engine oil and filter after cleaning the ports or start up before change ?

I cannot remember what I did last time but despite giving them a proper rodding I still had positive pressure so removed the inlet pipe and gave the port another go. Seamless ever since
Yeah, after "rodding the port" as you put it, I think I'd be inclined to change the oil and filter - it'd be such a pain if a bit of grot got into the oil system and blocked it, you'd be kicking yourself eh? Hopefully you've timed the job so it's not on fresh oil right now, so you have nice new oil as a bonus too.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 11:54   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Yeah, after "rodding the port" as you put it, I think I'd be inclined to change the oil and filter - it'd be such a pain if a bit of grot got into the oil system and blocked it, you'd be kicking yourself eh? Hopefully you've timed the job so it's not on fresh oil right now, so you have nice new oil as a bonus too.
Does it make any difference?

The oil filter is the full flow type so all the oil is filtered, unlike the old bypass system where only a proportion of the oil goes via the filter at any given time. I therefore assume the oil is picked up from the sump and goes through the filter before reaching the big ends and camshaft etc, Therefore, filtered and presumably clean oil is fed to the critical components with any debris either left in the sump or collected in the filter. That is how I have always assumed the oil system is laid out, I may be completely wrong.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 15:51   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Chaps

This is one of the joys of the forum- getting intelligent comment and discussion

I have a feeling I took Luxos view and despite having just put a new filter on an fresh oil I did them again. My thought process was thirty quid or risk serious damage

Would be good to hear other views on what Luxo and ITS think, all I know is I was mighty ****ed off I had positive crank pressure after approx 17 hours doing the job. Indy in Shotgate has quoted me 3 hours labour - kinda tempting - once the parts arrive that is !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 03:36   #9
nickbw898

The 2001 XC70 has it and a numer of other engines. There should be a quick relese between 3 - 4 cylinder and 3 small machine screws holding ot on. 1 release fuel pressure (jam jar) shrader valve disconnect QR then very gently apply pressure using two pry bars. Start at 5 and 3 and try to get 1 and two moving. It will suddenly pop out remove the locking strip on the rail to remove injectors. get a complete set of 'o' rings from FRF and use silicone grease to reinstate.
nickbw898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 08:07   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbw898 View Post
The 2001 XC70 has it and a numer of other engines. There should be a quick relese between 3 - 4 cylinder and 3 small machine screws holding ot on. 1 release fuel pressure (jam jar) shrader valve disconnect QR then very gently apply pressure using two pry bars. Start at 5 and 3 and try to get 1 and two moving. It will suddenly pop out remove the locking strip on the rail to remove injectors. get a complete set of 'o' rings from FRF and use silicone grease to reinstate.
Isn't there a high probability your P2 platform XC70.is going to be different to a P80 platform V70?
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote