Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 Electric seat adjusters

Views : 2358

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 21:36   #1
Ian HT
VOC Member

Default 760 Electric seat adjusters

Have just taken possession of a very nice 1989 760 GLE estate - only needs a few bits putting right as my wife's uncle bought a Jaguar a year or so ago and hasn't used the Volvo since.

The driver's seat movement switches do not work (none of them - and I am aware of the "stop" switch!) and I wonder whether anyone can suggest the things most likely to have gone wrong?

So far, I have replaced a blown fuse (15 amp for the live feed to the switch unit relay) and believe I have cured a dodgy connector for the main (30 amp) feed in the under-seat plug. Still no sign of life. Can the switch unit be opened up, is the relay in it a suspect and replaceable, etc.?

The weather has prevented much more investigation but any advice would most gratefully be received. Thanks,

Ian.
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:43   #2
Dave M

AH HA!!! See ... All you 760 critics out there yet another FAN of this Beast!!!

Sorry Ian, Not what you wanted to hear, but I had to have a "pop" at the critics out there:-)

Anyway to your problem....

It sounds as thought the main cable under the chair has broken at the connector, it's a common problem really because if you think about it the seat moves backwards/Forwards, up/down, and the cables just hang underneath therefore all this movement puts a sheering force on the cables:-(

The bad news, and it sounds as if you're like me and don't have a garage therefore forced to work out on the open:-( The seat has to be removed to gain access to the cables. It's not a job for the faint hearted as the seat weighs a ton! Once removed you'll see the cables connecting to a black relay, this is the realy for power + Heated seat setup.

Failing this, all the motors have burnt out! (I doubt this one, but it is still possible...Longshot) The way to check for power is put the ignition lights on and press the switches, the lights should "Dim" a little indicating power to the switch.

Hope this is of some help.

You know where I am if you need help.

Regards
Dave M

1989 760 GLE Estate
195k miles not out!
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 17:45   #3
George Holmer

Dave,

I would just like to add myself to the list of fans of the V6 Volvos. I do not have one, as I like the range and fuel economy of my diesel but I do love that engine I would like to have one.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 19:43   #4
Dave M

Why You Shy Dog:-)

You pick your moments to "Come Out" Te...he :-0

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 19:57   #5
George Holmer

Of course, my car has six pots too!! The TIC does not count as my sister-in-law drives that, altough technically it is mine.

I am about to install electrical seats in my TDI and shall be glad to part with any leftovers once I am finished, if there anything you need.

George

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 23:16   #6
Ian HT
VOC Member

Default RE: 760 Electric seat adjusters

Thanks for the ideas Dave - I've been out this evening (balancing torch on knee) and have got the seat working for now. I think it is the main electric feed pin in the connector plug (rather than the relay one or earth). I will see about fitting a new plug if there is enough spare wire...

I've got a garage but it contains an immobile 1963 Humber Sceptre (memo to self - must learn how to weld on that new chassis leg soon) and Helen's Renault 19. That way I have the enjoyment of seeing a matched pair of tanks side by side on the drive but am very dependant on the weather.

By the way George, my 760 has only got one electric seat - the driver's side. Did any have both powered (as my old Renault 25 did I think)or could you use two driver's seats (one left-hand-drive, the other right-hand-drive)?

Ian (940 and 760)
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:05   #7
George Holmer

Indeed, but electric seats are so rare in Europe that I am having them shipped in from the States, a mate just happens to be shipping a vintage truck to Rotterdam, 2 hours drive from me, and the seats are only 25 dollars each.

George

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:53   #8
Dave M

Bahhh Humbug!!!!! **Green With Envy*** :-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 13:07   #9
Mav_UK

Bah! Humbug!? At least you get to have the pleasure of owning one - my other half refuses point blank to le me have one (or a 940/60 or V90) as she says they are hearses. Me I'd quite like one!

Stu
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 14:24   #10
George Holmer

Well, Volvo was very proud of the fact that these cars were rebuilt as hearses and did even supply them with extra stuff to make the cooling system more efficient (those slow drives in parades) and other things. I have never understood what is so wrong with a hearse? In Sweden, 145 Express hearses are very popular as collector cars.

George