Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone tried a DAB Tuner Pure/Kenwood/Pioneer?

Views : 1130

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 11:14   #1
Shakrally

Default Anyone tried a DAB Tuner Pure/Kenwood/Pioneer?

I just wondered if anyone tried fitting a DAB tuner to overcome the lack of Bluetooth connectivity to their car?

You will need AUX for it to work, but I'm thinking of doing it as a one solution sorts all kind of thing.

Only needs plugging into AUX and power from cigar lighter (or can be hard wired) then you have Bluetooth, phone and DAB radio.

The Kenwood model (KTC-500DAB) I wanted is now discontinued and I don't see many of the Pure Highway 400/600 models for sale much, but the Pioneer unit (SDA-11DAB) is still available. The Alpine unit (which looks exactly like the Pure) is also discontinued.
Shakrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 13:49   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I've had 3 DD units in the past, one was a Chinese one that could shake the back window out on 3/4 volume, the other two were a Pioneer that I quickly swapped out for a Sony Mirrorlink one which was vastly better than any factory unit features,function and sound.

If you don't have to cut the dash about this is where I'd go and aim for a 50x50w output unit, the Sony had it all other than DAB and once I'd got a faceplate and iso loom & Ariel booster it was plug n play, Mirrorlink was awesome, like an unrestricted Carplay, Google maps in real picture mode so you could view the houses you were driving by at the time.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 13:50   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakrally View Post
I just wondered if anyone tried fitting a DAB tuner to overcome the lack of Bluetooth connectivity to their car?

You will need AUX for it to work, but I'm thinking of doing it as a one solution sorts all kind of thing.

Only needs plugging into AUX and power from cigar lighter (or can be hard wired) then you have Bluetooth, phone and DAB radio.

The Kenwood model (KTC-500DAB) I wanted is now discontinued and I don't see many of the Pure Highway 400/600 models for sale much, but the Pioneer unit (SDA-11DAB) is still available. The Alpine unit (which looks exactly like the Pure) is also discontinued.
The Pure 300i modes with the O-Led display has a relatively short life as the screen went dull after about 5 years, It was a volvo accessory around 2012 and did all you wanted.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 17:11   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Pure 300i modes with the O-Led display has a relatively short life as the screen went dull after about 5 years, It was a volvo accessory around 2012 and did all you wanted.
oddly enough
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Highwa...ct_top?ie=UTF8

shows them as still available, obs not "volvo specific"

Pure Highway 600 us also an option adding phone handsfree
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 21:52   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
oddly enough
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Highwa...ct_top?ie=UTF8

shows them as still available, obs not "volvo specific"

Pure Highway 600 us also an option adding phone handsfree
The volvo 300i kit had all the looms and wiring etc supplied to suit the model of volvo ,so plug in. if you used the unit a lot the display will fade to be too dim to read after about 5 years. To prevent a 200 ma current drain turn the head/display OFF before you turn the ignition off . Rather than letting the unit go off when the ignition is cut off. 👍
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 23:57   #6
Shakrally

Thanks for these.

I bit the bullet and bought a Pioneer unit (SDA-11DAB) as it was only £60 from Halfords. Will attempt fitting it at some point this week, but on the face of things it looks like it will do everything. I just need to get a longer AUX cable for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shakrally For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 19:15   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakrally View Post
Thanks for these.

I bit the bullet and bought a Pioneer unit (SDA-11DAB) as it was only £60 from Halfords. Will attempt fitting it at some point this week, but on the face of things it looks like it will do everything. I just need to get a longer AUX cable for it.
if it also does handsfree ill be interested in your findings/thoughts once its in
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 21:00   #8
Shakrally

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if it also does handsfree ill be interested in your findings/thoughts once its in
It does indeed do handsfree. It has a built in microphone so no separate one to install.

Just trying to decide where to install the unit that is not in the way, but is also in clear line to my voice.

I'll hopefully have it fitted this weekend and update with pics and a review.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shakrally For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 13:48   #9
robbyefe

Shakrally,

Any feedback on the Pioneer SDA-11DAB? I'd be keen to buy one.

Could you please also advise if was instore in Halfords as I'm struggling to find online....

Cheers
robbyefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 14:53   #10
Teddy1975

You can also take it to the next step and bypass the factory audio system altogether, so you don't end up converting the sound from digital to analogue, back to digital and finally once more to analogue.

I've since updated the Pioneer headunit in my car to a DAB+ Pioneer, although I tend to listen to mp3s from my phone via Bluetooth more than the radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220720_184712.jpg (261.6 KB, 7 views)
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote