Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which petrol is best?

Views : 1331

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 09:22   #1
dtjames

Default Which petrol is best?

Hi,

Is it worth using "premium" fuel in my MY04 V70 (petrol - 2.4l - 170bhp - manual - )?

It only costs about 3p / litre more at my local supermarket, so a mere £2 or so extra for a full tank!

Most websites say it's a con, unless one has a high performance or luxury car...neither of which these would be classed as.

Any honest and balanced shared experiences welcome.

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:12   #2
Ruthlessgk

Im not sure but I have a T5 and have started only using Shell VPower and I did get about £50 worth of Esso 99 Ron form Sainsburys. The way I see it is that its cleaner fuel for my car but i didnt bother with my old mondeo as that was N/A. I think the only time I would put VPower in an N/A is if it was highly strung Vtech or something along them lines.
Zaff
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:50   #3
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Given the car you have, I'd stick with your "normal" fuel.
It's expensive enough as it is without needlessly spending more surely.?

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 11:56   #4
dtjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTV70 View Post
Given the car you have, I'd stick with your "normal" fuel.
It's expensive enough as it is without needlessly spending more surely.?

Neil
I am totally inclined to agree with this.

I only asked the question since my last car was unquestionably better off for using premium fuel (only if I could buy it at a few pence more per litre), but it was much more a performance vehicle (1995 VW Corrado VR6, 2.9l).

I just wondered if anyone here had already conducted any tests on economy or performance.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:10   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Tried running my T5 on premium for about 6 months. Fuel economy was just the same (or should that be lack of fuel economy?) and performance was no different that I could tell.

I think that engine technology now is such that the engine ECU will adjust for minor variations in octane rating, but does it give more power or greater economy? If it's programmed for 'optimisation' it will probably try to do both, and as the octane increase in premium petrol is relatively small the effects will be minimal.

With a highly tuned engine where any increase in octane rating will be translated into extra power it might be noticeable, otherwise I think the idea of 'better' fuel is an advertising gimmick.

Saying all that, it's always an option when standard unleaded is sold out!!!!
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 17:28   #6
dtjames

Ok.

I'll be trying standard fuel for a while since no-one is advising otherwise.

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 17:59   #7
crankie

i have tried shell vpower once in my v70 170 and it didnt seem to run any better, i normaly use morrisons basic u/l or sainsburys
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 18:31   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, I have a non-turbocharged, 2002 V70. I keep detailed fuel records which I will post here after I log my 48th month with this car on the 9th of April. I made 2 separate 2 month fuel tests. One was to use premium gas only. The other was to add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel. I was hoping to realize an improvement in mileage due to the perceived ability of the engine to advance its timing or at least avoid retarding the timing whilst burning higher octane fuel. In the case of the snake oil, I was just dreaming. I saw no increase in mileage at any point. I have always read that you shouldn't pay for more octane than you need. I have also read that fuel in various parts of the world can be of lesser and inconsistent quality. Maybe our regular gas is simply "just fine". I have no problem with that. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 19:04   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Hi georgeand kira - please excuse my ignorance, but what is "Marvel Mystery Oil"?
By mistake, a week ago I put in around 60 litres of the higher octane fuel available in the UK.
Strange thing is, the V70 seems quieter and has returned 33.5 mpg@ 70mph - where it was giving 29mph, but on balance, given the fuel is around 5% more expensive, the increased mpg @ approx 10% would seem to be worthwhile - unfortunately I've also changed the tyres for Uniroyal Rain Experts in the last few days as well as changing the oil for G-force 5W-40 fully synthetic oil - so don't really know which is responsible for the increase in mpg – I’d like to think it’s down to more economical driving driving style and 45 years driving skill – somehow I think it is the tyres – but who knows?
The Michelins just weren’t as good in the wet!

But where I am "wet" doesn't seem to be happening - we have been designated as a drought area yet again!!!!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 19:24   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjames View Post
Hi,

Is it worth using "premium" fuel in my MY04 V70 (petrol - 2.4l - 170bhp - manual - )?

It only costs about 3p / litre more at my local supermarket, so a mere £2 or so extra for a full tank!

Most websites say it's a con, unless one has a high performance or luxury car...neither of which these would be classed as.

Any honest and balanced shared experiences welcome.

Thanks.
I think if you stay away from cheap supermarket fuel and stick with a known brand ,premium or standard,you should be ok. Mine is diesel .

I got 31mpg with Morrisons (went there because I got the 15p off) and 35mpg with Excellium and 35mpg with Shell normal. Getting 4mpg less with supermarket fuel meant over a tank I got about 60 miles less which is about 2 gallons so about £13 more fuel used, which made my approximate £10 saving pointless!! The mpg figures I quote are based on the same mix of urban/motorway.

I may be wrong, but I have heard that Morissons diesel fuel is a higher percent bio diesel as well which Volvos do not like although this will not affect you as you are petrol.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote