Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flasher Relay 9/73 144

Views : 1750

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:48   #1
Wiseman

Default Flasher Relay 9/73 144

Hi guys. My 144 has lost all indicator lights. They are dead. Bulbs are good fuse is good. I have endevoured to find the indicator flasher relay but cannot seem to see it anywhere. I am loosing my mind here.

If the relay is dead would that also cause no indicators at all. On other cars i have owned when the relay goes u still get a light but it just does not flash. Not sure what is going on here with this thing.

I was thinking maybe the switch? but the hazards dont work either so that rules switch out i think. High beam is still working on the indicator switch.

Any Idea's
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 13:09   #2
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post
Hi guys. My 144 has lost all indicator lights. They are dead. Bulbs are good fuse is good. I have endevoured to find the indicator flasher relay but cannot seem to see it anywhere. I am loosing my mind here.

If the relay is dead would that also cause no indicators at all. On other cars i have owned when the relay goes u still get a light but it just does not flash. Not sure what is going on here with this thing.

I was thinking maybe the switch? but the hazards dont work either so that rules switch out i think. High beam is still working on the indicator switch.

Any Idea's
Hi If its in the same position as the 164
[ probably is] its above the drivers foot well over here Right hand side.
Hope this helps

Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 19:54   #3
blabla

the relais (on 164) is located at the back of the hazzard switch, I found it after turning the car upside down ;-). It's a 6cm long metallic tube directly behind the switch, pulls off and has 3 connectors
cheers!
blabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:04   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabla View Post
the relais (on 164) is located at the back of the hazzard switch, I found it after turning the car upside down ;-). It's a 6cm long metallic tube directly behind the switch, pulls off and has 3 connectors
cheers!
Hi
Not on mine as posted , and checked [ may have been an upgrade ] same type as Moggy etc.
Regards
Mike B
Ps its a 1972 model
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 14:31   #5
Wiseman

Still have not found it but i got the indicators working by fiddling with the hazard light switch. They came back to life after that. I can hear the relay clicking away sounds like it comming around the heater glove box area. Where ever it is its nearly impossible to get to. Lets hope i never have to replace it.
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:05   #6
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post
Still have not found it but i got the indicators working by fiddling with the hazard light switch. They came back to life after that. I can hear the relay clicking away sounds like it comming around the heater glove box area. Where ever it is its nearly impossible to get to. Lets hope i never have to replace it.
I presume the glove box is on the right hand side . If it is the flasher unit is behind it where I said . Remove the glove box and you will see a small ally tube about 3 inch's long with 3 wires going to it , that is the flasher relay , the hazard warning on the back of the switch is 4 X 21w the flasher one is 2 x 21w.
Hope this helps . Glad yours is OK now.
Regards
Mike B