Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Towbar Electrics

Views : 827

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 16:54   #1
001ben

Default S40 Towbar Electrics

Hi All,

Im sure its been asked 100 times but cant find the answer. I have just fitted a s****neck witter towbar to my S40 . I bought a by pass relay for the electrics, the plan was to splice into the rear lights to connect the 7 pin socket however i have read that you need the volvo specific wiring module unit as splicing into the lights will cause problems with the car.

Can sopmeone please advise if i can use the unit I have or if there are any alternatives that can be used, easier the better.

If it makes a difference the car is a 2009 S40 2.5 T5, but im sure it will be the same for all of them.
001ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:33   #2
JAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001ben View Post
Hi All,

Im sure its been asked 100 times but cant find the answer. I have just fitted a s****neck witter towbar to my S40 . I bought a by pass relay for the electrics, the plan was to splice into the rear lights to connect the 7 pin socket however i have read that you need the volvo specific wiring module unit as splicing into the lights will cause problems with the car.

Can sopmeone please advise if i can use the unit I have or if there are any alternatives that can be used, easier the better.

If it makes a difference the car is a 2009 S40 2.5 T5, but im sure it will be the same for all of them.
I have a 2008 1.8 s40 with towbar electrics fitted and work fine.
My relay is powered from the 12v suppy in the boot (right hand side)
Instead of splicing into the rear lights the kit i used came with scotch clips, (£1.39 for 10 from ebay)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Snap-...item519ef2615d and works great so i would recomend using them!
I have never had and problems doing this!

Hope this helps JB
JAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 13:21   #3
001ben

yes that helps alot. The kit I have has the scotch clips, although I didn't know how to use them until a minute ago. Where did you route the cables?

has anyone else wired there trailer up in this way?
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 14:38   #4
nbuuifx

I fitted mine but it was literally plug and play, I just had to unpug some plugs and plug these between - took 5 mins if that.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 14:47   #5
001ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
I fitted mine but it was literally plug and play, I just had to unpug some plugs and plug these between - took 5 mins if that.
what make was the plug and play unit? do you remember where you bought it from?
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 16:19   #6
nbuuifx

I bought it from here second hand with a detachable tow bar,

Pretty sure the box/instructions are in the garage but I'll do a search on here first to see if it said the make in the post
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 16:23   #7
nbuuifx

The towbar is a witter, the wiring kit is Brink
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 21:05   #8
001ben

thanks for checking, thats the same towbar make as mine. I will have a look to see what options Brink have for the loom then.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:55   #9
JAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001ben View Post
yes that helps alot. The kit I have has the scotch clips, although I didn't know how to use them until a minute ago. Where did you route the cables?

has anyone else wired there trailer up in this way?
The relay just sits in behind the left hand light in one of the panels, as there is a grommet really close to route the cable for the towbar electrics.
and ran the 12v cable behind the plastics for the boot trim.
JAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote