Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Read Error

Views : 1941

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:17   #1
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Default Key Read Error

Had a slight bit of panic on Saturday evening after leaving the supermarket with all of the weeks groceries. Unlocked the car with the remote as usual, loaded in the shopping, popped the key into the ignition and instead of the usual start up sequence I was just presented with a dash message that said 'Key Read Error'!! I tried removing the key, relocking the car, restarting etc about a dozen times, no luck.
Gave up, phoned for help and sat back and waited for about 5 minutes. I figured I might as well give it one last shot, and to my surprise it started!! Roared into life, and has been fine ever since. I have noticed that the key rattles slightly, so i'm wondering whether they key is on it's last legs (it's had 4 years of use).
I've tested the ignition about 30 times since and every time it's started with no problems so I have no idea whether it's a problem with the Key, Starter Module, or just some random interference, but if anyone has experienced this problem i'd be interested to hear from you!
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 15:05   #2
alfiembra

Yep had this happen to me, had just filled up at the pumps got in the car and same thing, Key error try again message. Wasn't too far away from home so got my wife to bring down the spare key, it didn't work either. Eventually got the AA out and after wiggling the steering column about he got it going, went to the dealers needed a new ignition switch. FOC from Volvo, goodwill gesture just a month out of the warranty expiring. mine is a June 05 S40 so if you are not too much out of warranty you might get the same goodwill gesture.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfiembra For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 16:20   #3
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Thanks, mine was out of warranty in Sept 07 so no chance on that one!

I'll keep an eye on it, problem is that the dealer on the isle of wight closed down last year so whatever the part / labour costs to replace the ignition unit i'll have to add £50 for ferry and a day off work to get it to Volvo in Southampton!

Who knows, maybe it's just the key....
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 15:08   #4
ch70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
I'll keep an eye on it, problem is that the dealer on the isle of wight closed down last year so whatever the part / labour costs to replace the ignition unit i'll have to add £50 for ferry and a day off work to get it to Volvo in Southampton!

Hi mjcourtney

what is the dealer like in southampton (kings im guessing) for servicing? am about to buy a volvo so they will be the local garage.

Chris

Last edited by ch70; Dec 5th, 2008 at 15:11.
ch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 19:40   #5
asuk

Hi,

same happened to mine. It won't be the key it will be the switch in the dash, Forget the name of the damn thing now but theres lots of threads on this web site about other owners with the same problems. Beware £280 all in parts and labour.

Hope yours keeps going for the time being.

asuk.
asuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 18:00   #6
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch70 View Post
Hi mjcourtney

what is the dealer like in southampton (kings im guessing) for servicing? am about to buy a volvo so they will be the local garage.

Chris
Yes it's Kings that I use, they're really NOT cheap (Last time I checked their labour rates were about £110 an hour), but the level of service is fantastic and i've been well looked after. They replaced my engine under warranty in 2007 and did a fantastic job, would never know it had been taken out (maybe it wasn't and i've been had! lol).

The key / reader has behaved itself since the hickup last weekend, the car had been sat unused for 10 days so whether that was the reason I don't know. If it does it once more then i'll take it in as I can't afford to be stranded anywhere.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 18:41   #7
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch70 View Post
Hi mjcourtney

Chris
After they quoted me 6 hours labour for a job which took a non-Volvo mechanic under 10 mins to rectify, they won't be seeing my car again.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 22:13   #8
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Fair enough, doesn't sound right does it. All i know is they did a good job on mine, but then I wasn't paying for it so can't really comment on value for money. I might call round a few Volvo garages in the south if this key module packs up, as if i have to get it to the mainland then an extra few miles to a cheaper garage is prob worth it.