Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of buying V50 2.4 - any comments? AWD worth it?

Views : 898

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:51   #1
011ienw

Default Thinking of buying V50 2.4 - any comments? AWD worth it?

Hi,

I'm seriously thinking of buying a used V50 2.4 petrol SE spec with about 20-30,000 miles on it. There are quite a few for sale across the UK. The reason I'm thinking of the 2.4 petrol is because there are hardly any low mileage diesels for my budget of £9k, but there are loads of petrols, including 2.4's and T5's. Thing is, I reckon the T5 sounds much thirstier than the 2.4 petrol, or am I wrong? I've got quite an old, slow driving style so not that bothered about performance, hence why I'm looking for SE spec models only. But I like the idea of the added stability the AWD on the T5 gives you. Is the AWD worth the lower MPG, or should I stick to the 2.4 SE which should answer my needs?

Cheers
011ienw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 15:12   #2
iainmd

Just my own 2p worth but I'd go for the T5 any day over the 2.4i. The 2.4i is a good enough engine but the addition of the turbocharger on the T5 makes the car feel so much more spritely. You may have noticed but because of the 6 speed transmission as manual T5 achieves pretty much the same MPG as a manual 2.4i. The difference is greater if you buy one with Geartronic and that makes the 2.4i more attractive.

You're biggest issue with wanting AWD will be finding one. They seem to have sold a tiny number in the UK and as such choice is very limited. I'd say for most conditions you'll be fine with the FWD. The Volvo AWD system is the electronic Haldex which is essentially FWD on a normal basis and only engages the rear drive when grip is compromised. It's not at all like Audi's Torsen Quattro system (unlike the new A3 & TT which are also Haldex) which feels truly planted all the time.

In fairness, if they'd made the S40 in T5 AWD spec in RHD I would have bought that but I doubt I'd have seen any benefit from it!

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:02   #3
MavUK

You see the benefit of the AWD the moment you step on the gas. I've driven FWD V50s whilst my AWD has been in the garage and the difference is very obvious in the dry, and especially in the wet. The car *does* feel planted, I can turn off my TC in wet and cold conditions and still struggle to get it out of shape - even when trying to.

If you have the option of an AWD take it - you won't regret it per drivability of the car!
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 20:53   #4
asuk

Hi,

I have a 2.4 se spec and its been a good car. (Geartronic version.). Had it since 9,000 miles old. It definitely isn't fast if you know what i mean but its been more than adequate. There is no way after owning the geartronic version that i will ever be owning any manual car again. The auto has been for great for my driving journey. I am on 75,000 miles now. and this is where i am at.

Ignition key switch fault caused 1 x break down. £280.00 to fix.

Due its second set of pads now. Will do discs as well while i am at it.

rear tyres do 30 to 35 thou. front up to 20 thou.

servicing. don't bother with volvo, go independent / diy if you can.

But the best bit was the LPG conversion i had done by Autogas 2000. £1800 all in. Car trip has only ever, at best in mixed driving, shown between 28 and 32 mpg on petrol. . Lose 15% for LPG so thats 24.MPG ish. At half the price of diesel = 48. MPG. Car has been on gas since 25,000 so that 50,000 on gas. No probs whatsoever and going great. Bummer is only £10 reduction in tax disc cost. But my theory is i am driving a nice comfy leather clad auto boxed volvo that does 48 ish to the gallon!! and i am well chuffed with that.

I posted a thread on this site gaes ago about the benefits of LPG'd volvo 2.4 i. If you search for LPG you should find it.

Hope that helps some way,

asuk.
asuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 15:03   #5
fortran4

Hello,

I have an AWD T5 & I love it. I've never driven a front-wheel only T5 but I CAN say our AWD car feels totally reassuring on the road. Try as I might I have never felt the car was going to do anything other than go where I point it. Grip is phenomenal, as is cornering, & tyre scrabble has never occurred (which I hear can be an issue for the FWD version since the power only goes to the front wheels?)
Admittedly I'm not a speed-freak but I have been known to welly things at the odd time or other & this is the grippiest car I have ever driven! There doesn't seem to be many AWD models around but I would seriously recommed one if you can find it - Good Luck!