Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New proud owner with Q's/ S40 inside

Views : 2591

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2009, 22:06   #1
Guru
Premier Member

Default New proud owner with Q's/ S40 inside

I'm delighted to have found this wonderful forum, i've been reading through this section for days now, and many of my question have already been answers, I'm also happy to have found "you" due to the vast distance between me and the nearest authorized Volvo service.

As an introduction, I live in Slovakia, I bought a used 04/2004 Volvo S40 with a 2.0D 136bph EURO3 engine D4204T with 51000km / 32000miles on the clock, the car seems and feels to be in mint condition, it has been imported from Italy to Slovakia by a local used car dealer, this is very common nowadays btw due to lower prices of imports and their better condition, coz slovakian winters in combination with road quality are guaranteed to put every car to it's knees in a matter of a couple of years.

It's a light silver metalic with 16" wheels, cruise control, trip computer and electric side mirrors ;-) no sunroof though :-(

I wanted to post my own pics but it hasn't stopped snowing here for 3days now, so here are the ones taken by the dealer while still in the garage put up for sale before i fell in love with it and picked it up for 11000€: http://iframe.autovia.sk/gallery.php...118&image_id=0

After reading so many threads about this engine, some other Q's came to mind... so if you can please help me sort some things out, i'd be very greatful.

1/ Do all authorized Volvo garages have access to a central database where all repairs of such volvo cars have been logged? meaning if i make a trip to my local Volvo service station here in Slovakia, and hand them the VIN, will they be able to show me the whole history of the car even though it was bought and driven in Italy since birth until 12/2008? i have a service booklet with two stamps showing that the car was serviced at 19K and 47K km but nothing of what was done/repaired.

2/ How do i find out which Volvo software version is installed? Or how do i find out if it has ever been updated? by myself of course..., and what is the latest compatible version?

3/ I've read about the problems the EGR valve causes, how do i find out if mine has already been changed/repaired? by myself again..

3/ What are the repairs that can be done selfservice style? can i, for example, change the oil, all filter types...ect. without the sensors protesting and generating error codes? /I know about reseting the servise interval reminder with the key, but would not like to get the car in limb mode just because of an innocent air filter change for example/
** just a coment about the pollen filter, you guys on the right are lucky, did you know that, among other things, i have to dismantle the accelerator pedal in order to get to my cabin filter with the steering on the left!

4/ With a 1.5 ton car with only a 52liter tank, i find it annoying to have a 7.5liter/100km fuel consumption "combined M way/urban". Is that figure Ok for a euro3?

5/ Why does the trip computer show me the highest instant fuel consumption
when in 6th gear? the best figure i get on the display is in 5th on 2000rpm, changing to 6th on a straight road with 1400rpm yields a 10-11 liter/100km instant consumption. Shifting back to 5th which increases the rpm again to 2000rpm yields, according to trip comp, a better fuel economy, i.e 5-6L/100km.

6/ Is there anyway i can stop the car from locking me in as soon as i start moving? i keep forgetting that the doors are locked and i know that one day i'll break the door handle.

Sorry for such a long post, i promise i'll improve and will not talk so much in the future, it's my first Volvo u c, and i'm loving it unconditionally, but trying to understand it more, that's all.
Thanks you in advance. ;-)
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 10:06   #2
Mark Hygate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
6/ Is there anyway i can stop the car from locking me in as soon as i start moving? i keep forgetting that the doors are locked and i know that one day i'll break the door handle.
Can't help with the others I'm afraid, but (unless things have changed) you should be able to change this through the Car Settings screen from the Menu options on the dentral console.
Mark Hygate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 13:02   #3
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hygate View Post
you should be able to change this through the Car Settings screen from the Menu options on the dentral console.
I'll look in to it, thanks.

It's just that all readings are in italian, so i'll have to pop in the car with my laptop and translate until i find the correct one.

I'll be installing an english language pack soon for a cost of 100€, but that has to wait for a while because it can't be done near by.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 20:16   #4
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
4/ With a 1.5 ton car with only a 52liter tank, i find it annoying to have a 7.5liter/100km fuel consumption "combined M way/urban". Is that figure Ok for a euro3?

5/ Why does the trip computer show me the highest instant fuel consumption
when in 6th gear? the best figure i get on the display is in 5th on 2000rpm, changing to 6th on a straight road with 1400rpm yields a 10-11 liter/100km instant consumption. Shifting back to 5th which increases the rpm again to 2000rpm yields, according to trip comp, a better fuel economy, i.e 5-6L/100km.
4) It's a little more than I managed when I had a 2.0D for a week (that was about 1 l/100km less @ 6.5ish) but it depends on your right foot... FYI 7.5 is only slightly less than I get from my T5 AWD when behaving and doing 90% 100kmph motorway work (8-9 l / 100km).

5) Because the 2.0D doesn't seem to like low revs... I noticed this in that week as well. I keep the revs to about 1100 in the T5 for best fuel economy. In the 2.0D I could only use the 6th on the motorway, and even then there was not that much difference between 5th and 6th. Someone on another thread mentioned that they thought Volvo got the ratio's wrong on the 6 speed 2.0D. COmparing it to my normal car I'd have to agree. When driving around town (50kmph I was actually down to 4th to get the best economy (4-5 l/100km). The T5 also pulls nicely from 1100 rpm, where as the diesel really struggled below the 2K mark - maybe the power band just isn't there to do it?

BTW English pack? In my Dutch V50 I just selected the language the same as you do in a phone... I'll try to find the instructions I used...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by MavUK; Feb 18th, 2009 at 20:18.
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 20:26   #5
MavUK

Red face

Oops... There is a reason why it seemed like just chaging the language in a mobile phone... Because it was just changing the language in the built in mobile phone... The car stereo etc is still in cloggy...

Sorry...
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 21:12   #6
Guru
Premier Member

Revising my original post i realized that i have 7q's not 6, numbered 1,2,3,3,4,5,6... apologies for that.

Thank you MavUK. had my hopes up for a minute, but that's ok.

I have yet to test the car on the motor way in high speed before i come to a conclusion about the 6th gear and the gear ratios as a whole, but winter's not helping much, so i guess i'll have to wait to really find out.

As for the FYT, it's showing 6.9L now the tank is half full and showing 350km left in tank. I've travelled 380 km since full... mostly urban, so i'll see how far i'll get before the orange light comes on.
mind you, the last time i filled her up, the needle was just about touching red, i thought i'll pour in 40-45L but could barely "squeeze" in 31L.

The English pack has to be installed in vitro according to the local mafia, i mean dealer, no options in the menu addressing languages, at least not according to my translator... but the car is teaching me italian, so all is not bad. but i wish i could understand what it means by "Scadenza Tagliando" that shows up before each ignition with key in II position.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 21:34   #7
JamesS40

according to google translate Scadenza Tagliando means coupon expiration, not that it makes any more sense to me
JamesS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 23:34   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS40 View Post
according to google translate Scadenza Tagliando means coupon expiration, not that it makes any more sense to me
Yes i know that, but thanks anyway

Looking in the maintenance booklet, every maintenance that was carried out, i.e. at 20K, 40K..ect. is stamped in a section called tagliando, so i guess it means time for inspection/service