Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing the cigarette lighter

Views : 3062

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 21:50   #1
06S40

Default Removing the cigarette lighter

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me how to remove either cigarette lighter (but preferably the back one) on my '06 S40?
Or how to remove the little panel inside the well in the armrest?

The reason for this is that I want to connect a trailing cigarette lighter socket to the back of it, which I will leave under the passenger's seat and plug the Tomtom charger into it, thereby getting it out of the way when changing gears.

Thanks
06S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:15   #2
Metblackrat

The panel that the rear cigarette lighter sits in just prises off. The metal clips are quite stubborn but do come away without damage.

Use a wide blunt tool and prise the whole panel away (or if you have skinny fingers get underneath it and pull).

I have done something similar, wiring two trailing sockets, one either side for the kids DVD players.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 20:07   #3
John Steed

Metblackrat,

Could you expand on how to prise the rear cover off, please? I had a go at this the other day, but couldn't shift it at all and gave up as I didn't want to break anything. Where is it actually clipped? Is there a knack to getting it off?

Thanks!
John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 21:53   #4
06S40

Thanks Matblackrat, that worked perfectly, although it was VERY hard to pull off.

John Steed, I stuck a spatula in the gap at the side of the panel and sort of twisted it a bit until the bottom popped out, then same on the other side. Then pulled it off. The top of the panel has little tabs that go under the panel above so you have to pull away the bottom first then it will kind of rotate upwards. There are several (about 6) metal clips that hold it on and, full credit to Volvo, they are really solid. They are well inside the panel so you won't really reach them but just pull hard on the panel, they are held in by tension not by the more usual little plastic hooks, so they won't break easily. I was also a bit scared of breaking it but it worked fine. I have now got the trailing socket under the passenger's seat and the GPS charger is no longer in the way of the gears.

Thanks again, and let us know how you go John.
06S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 20:30   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Youtube has loads of videos on how to dismantle various sections of the dash, door cards and just about everything else.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 23:39   #6
ymc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S40 View Post
thereby getting it out of the way when changing gears
I don't use tomtom but I have a brodit holder on my middle air vent for my phone
What I've done was that I hid the wire all the way inside the "waterfall" then when it came out under the gear shift leather I connected it to a 12V to 5V transformer fed by the back of the cigarette lighter.
It looks neat, no mess and it's 3A so it can keep up with charging my big screen phone

C30 SE Lux 2.0D / V70 D4 SE Lux / Miata NCFL 2.0 Sport Tec
Sold: C70 T5 / several C30s in different flavours / V50 D4 Geartronic
ymc30 is offline   Reply With Quote