Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Wireless Lock Alarm components removal

Views : 29462

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 20:36   #41
Baz69

Default Remote not working

"Silly question, but what happens when you sit in the car and try to lock the doors with the switch on the driver's door switch."

Hi Gatos, I have a V70 and my remote has not worked since before Christmas so I have been locking and unlocking my car with the key. I replaced the batteries in both remotes but this did not help. However today I found that the remote works if I am sitting in the car so would I just need to replace the receiving unit?
Baz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 22:09   #42
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz69 View Post
"Silly question, but what happens when you sit in the car and try to lock the doors with the switch on the driver's door switch."

Hi Gatos, I have a V70 and my remote has not worked since before Christmas so I have been locking and unlocking my car with the key. I replaced the batteries in both remotes but this did not help. However today I found that the remote works if I am sitting in the car so would I just need to replace the receiving unit?
I have no experience at all about the V70s, so I can't really offer reliable advice. I can only comment about the V40 and in that case, I would have thought that something is wrong with the RC receiver control module. Maybe the built-in aerial is damaged or not functioning properly. Try posting in the V70 section and see if more experienced members there have an answer

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 22:52   #43
NiallB

Gatos, can I pick your brain?

I have a 2003 v40 and only one remote/key unit. I'm told that replacements are pricey from a Volvo dealer.

Can I buy a used remote fob, get a key cut and get the remote and RFID reprogrammed by a dealer? Would this be any cheaper?

Failing that, I know where I can get a lock set/ignition/remote and keys/ecu/immobiliser from a 2002 v40. Can I swap bits over to have a car with 2 working keys & remote fobs? And what parts need changed apart from the ignition & antenna?

Thanks in advance.
NiallB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 23:26   #44
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallB View Post
Gatos, can I pick your brain?

I have a 2003 v40 and only one remote/key unit. I'm told that replacements are pricey from a Volvo dealer.

Can I buy a used remote fob, get a key cut and get the remote and RFID reprogrammed by a dealer? Would this be any cheaper?
Can't say with 100% certainty, but from what I have read in the forum over the years, the dealers cannot program a second hand fob unless if they have a code that comes with it in a piece of paper. Only way to find for sure, would be to ask a dealer directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallB View Post
Failing that, I know where I can get a lock set/ignition/remote and keys/ecu/immobiliser from a 2002 v40. Can I swap bits over to have a car with 2 working keys & remote fobs? And what parts need changed apart from the ignition & antenna?

Thanks in advance.

As long as the engine is exactly the same, then yes you can do this. Each ECU is programmed for a certain engine, ie 1.6. 1.8. T4 etc. So if you car is a 2.0T, the donor car must also be a 2.0T

You will need the following
ECU
Immobiliser
Lock alarm unit
Steering column lock barrel
driver's door lock barrel
Boot lock barrel
glovebox lock barrel
and of course the keys/fobs

You do not need the antenna ring

Hope this helps

Nullius in Verba
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 00:14   #45
NiallB

You're a legend! Thanks mate.
NiallB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 01:17   #46
PetrolBlood

Default A Wee Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
My understanding of the alarm receiver unit is as follows. The RC receiver receives the signal from the key and sends it to the Lock Alram Control Unit. When last year I sold a fob, the Lock Alram Control Unit and the RC receiver, the person fitting it on his car told me that he did not replace the RC receiver and that the whole system was working fine. So if someone wants to replace a fob and a matching Lock Alram Control Unit, they don't need the RC receiver unit, nor do they need the Immobiliser Unit.

Sorry if it's not very well put or isn't posted right, this is the first time I've really used a forum far less posted a msg.

Anyways, this is as close as I can find to what I'm wanting to do, so I got a bit of a question for you.
I've just taken delivery of a V40 to use as a donor for my S40. The key for my S40 is not built into the fob, and the fob was broken by the previous owner. Where as the V40 key is the same as the one you have shown and works perfectly.

So I was thinking that taking the alarm, immobiliser, locks and ignition barrel from the V40 and fitting it to my S40 would mean that I could use the V40 key for my S40?

I'm hoping to avoid having to go to a Volvo dealer to get a new fob + extra key because that seems like £300 for very little.

cheers if you can help
PetrolBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 01:34   #47
druid
V40 Owner

And the receiver ring from the ignition. Not just the ignition barrel.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 13:24   #48
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
And the receiver ring from the ignition. Not just the ignition barrel.
Actually, you don't need the receiver ring from the ignition. It is indeed part of the system, but it does not need to be programmed together with the rest. It is just an antenna ring receiving the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolBlood View Post
Sorry if it's not very well put or isn't posted right, this is the first time I've really used a forum far less posted a msg.

Anyways, this is as close as I can find to what I'm wanting to do, so I got a bit of a question for you.
I've just taken delivery of a V40 to use as a donor for my S40. The key for my S40 is not built into the fob, and the fob was broken by the previous owner. Where as the V40 key is the same as the one you have shown and works perfectly.

So I was thinking that taking the alarm, immobiliser, locks and ignition barrel from the V40 and fitting it to my S40 would mean that I could use the V40 key for my S40?

I'm hoping to avoid having to go to a Volvo dealer to get a new fob + extra key because that seems like £300 for very little.

cheers if you can help
Actually, you will also need the ECU. And this will only work, if the V40 is exactly the same engine as the S40. Otherwise, it will not work. I wrote this post a few years ago and I was actually wrong not mentioning that the ECU is also needed.

To explain it very simply, in order to get the car running, you will need the ECU, immobilizer and key. The reason for this, is because they are linked together. The transponder chip in the key is programmed to the immobilizer and the immobilizer is programmed to the ECU.

Hope this makes sense. If not, ask and I will try to explain it a bit better

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 13:42   #49
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Actually, you don't need the receiver ring from the ignition. It is indeed part of the system, but it does not need to be programmed together with the rest. It is just an antenna ring receiving the signal.
And there was me thinking. And thats where i fall down. So in that case would any reciever work on any car?

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 13:47   #50
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
And there was me thinking. And thats where i fall down. So in that case would any reciever work on any car?
When you say receiver, do you mean the steering lock barrel antenna ring? If yes, then yes, they are straight swaps on any car. Straight plug and play with no need for any programming at all. After all, if you think of it, all it is, is a couple of wires going around the rings, receiving the signal from the key transponder

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: