Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Wireless Lock Alarm components removal

Views : 29439

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2015, 22:21   #51
PetrolBlood

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Actually, you will also need the ECU. And this will only work, if the V40 is exactly the same engine as the S40. Otherwise, it will not work. I wrote this post a few years ago and I was actually wrong not mentioning that the ECU is also needed.
ah, ok... Thats a shame the V40 is a 1.8 and the S40 a 1.6.
Dang was hoping to save a few bucks.
Well at least the theory works, I thought you'd turn round and say it wasn't even possible at all because of some complex reason. lol.

On another note... I contacted Volvo a few weeks ago to see about getting a new key + fob, and asked about getting mine replaced with an all in one flip key.
I also asked about perhaps buying a fob on eBay (having already looked and found an identical fob using the part number on the chip) and getting it programmed.
To which he replied saying that the all in one flip key isn't possible, and that me buying a fob was a bad idea cause I'd probably buy the wrong one.
I know that Volvo moved away from user programmable fobs in '98-'99 but it seems an easy enough part to find... and seeing as the new one is over £100 (programming not included) I thought it'd be worth a punt.

Do you guys know if it would be possible to get a all-in-one made for my car? and how difficult it'd be to find a fob that is suitable?
or have any other info you think i should know and can help me with?

Its a '99 S40 1.6 btw.

Regardless, thanks for the help guy's, its much appreciated!
PetrolBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 22:43   #52
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolBlood View Post
ah, ok... Thats a shame the V40 is a 1.8 and the S40 a 1.6.
Dang was hoping to save a few bucks.
Well at least the theory works, I thought you'd turn round and say it wasn't even possible at all because of some complex reason. lol.

On another note... I contacted Volvo a few weeks ago to see about getting a new key + fob, and asked about getting mine replaced with an all in one flip key.
I also asked about perhaps buying a fob on eBay (having already looked and found an identical fob using the part number on the chip) and getting it programmed.
To which he replied saying that the all in one flip key isn't possible, and that me buying a fob was a bad idea cause I'd probably buy the wrong one.
I know that Volvo moved away from user programmable fobs in '98-'99 but it seems an easy enough part to find... and seeing as the new one is over £100 (programming not included) I thought it'd be worth a punt.

Do you guys know if it would be possible to get a all-in-one made for my car? and how difficult it'd be to find a fob that is suitable?
or have any other info you think i should know and can help me with?

Its a '99 S40 1.6 btw.

Regardless, thanks for the help guy's, its much appreciated!
Keys and fobs are programmed to individual cars and Volvo will not re-programme them. There are only two ways to replace the key. 1. remove a complete system from a donor car or 2. purchase new from Volvo.

I have recently had a new fob and key programmed for my 2001 V40 all in cost from dealer £260. They are separate btw not a flip key.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 22:53   #53
druid
V40 Owner

A flip key is possible, you just have to dig the chip out of you old key and pop it into the new one.
Here's an example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...Text=&_sacat=0

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 23:07   #54
PetrolBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I have recently had a new fob and key programmed for my 2001 V40 all in cost from dealer £260. They are separate btw not a flip key.
yeah, my closest dealer quoted just over £300. That's why I was looking to avoid it. Ah well I'll just have to grin and bear it I suppose.

Cheers for the help
PetrolBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 17:50   #55
danny v40

hello there just wondering if you can help me
ive got a 2002 v40 1.8i (volvo engine )
im on holiday in france and lost my keys . Volvo wants quite a bit of money for a new one .
so ive found a 2000 v40 t4 in a breakers yard ..

Am i correct in thinking if i changed the igntion barrel and immo unit for t4 one it should work ??
if not can volvo program a usd immo unit into a ecu ?
kind regards danny
danny v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 17:57   #56
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny v40 View Post
hello there just wondering if you can help me
ive got a 2002 v40 1.8i (volvo engine )
im on holiday in france and lost my keys . Volvo wants quite a bit of money for a new one .
so ive found a 2000 v40 t4 in a breakers yard ..

Am i correct in thinking if i changed the igntion barrel and immo unit for t4 one it should work ??
if not can volvo program a usd immo unit into a ecu ?
kind regards danny
Damn, that is bad luck. Unfortunately, you will also need the ECU (but in your case, the T4 one will not do)

The combination of ECU, immobiliser and key, is what will make it work. However, it will have to be from the same engined car, ie, a 1.8.

With regards the the used immobilizer, apparently Volvo can only program a new one only. That is what I was told, but not 100% if it is the case indeed.
By the way, you mentioned that the car is the 1.8i with the volvo engine. However, the 1.8i is the Mitsubishi engine. The 1.8 (without the (i) is the Volvo engine).

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 13:15   #57
inchley313
Insane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolBlood View Post
yeah, my closest dealer quoted just over £300. That's why I was looking to avoid it. Ah well I'll just have to grin and bear it I suppose.

Cheers for the help
As we don't have a Volvo dealer here in the Isle of Man, Mylchreests (who used to be the dealer) have quoted me £380 for a key and remote fob which they can only program on a Wednesday as that is the only day they pay for the licence from Volvo.

Looks like I will be using this guide to remove said items and replace the entire system!!

'01 V40 2.0 Ph2 141,000mi (lower than the last one)
'98 Honda CR-V 2.0 Auto (as this is the car I'm teaching SWMBO to drive in)
Previous:
'97 V40 2.0CD with 173,000mi on the clock and now sold!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 04:28   #58
katatonic

Hi Gatos, I'm new to this forum as a member but have had much help over the last couple of Volvo owning years (S70, V40 2.0T & T4). My current problem is that the T4's engine is cooked (B4204T5) and the only T4 engine I can easily get hold of in Thailand (imported from Japan by my garage) is a B4194T2: a stronger unit I believe, but reading your guides I see that I may have problems with the electronics.
I presume I have to get the ECU to match the engine, but will I then also need the immobiliser and key fob?
Otherwise I could get a B4204T5 sent to my parents' house in the UK then shipped to Thailand but that would take months and be an admin nightmare.
Regards, and thanks for all the great info.
katatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 07:10   #59
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonic View Post
Hi Gatos, I'm new to this forum as a member but have had much help over the last couple of Volvo owning years (S70, V40 2.0T & T4). My current problem is that the T4's engine is cooked (B4204T5) and the only T4 engine I can easily get hold of in Thailand (imported from Japan by my garage) is a B4194T2: a stronger unit I believe, but reading your guides I see that I may have problems with the electronics.
I presume I have to get the ECU to match the engine, but will I then also need the immobiliser and key fob?
Otherwise I could get a B4204T5 sent to my parents' house in the UK then shipped to Thailand but that would take months and be an admin nightmare.
Regards, and thanks for all the great info.

If you have the ECU, immobilzer, and key key combination, then no programming of the ECU will be required. However, if there are people who can program the ECU in Thailand, then you will have no need for the rest of the bits. However, a couple of warnings. Volvo is not the easiest to program their stuff and not many people do it, so you will need to make sure that it can be done. Also, the B4194T2 was fitted on the later Phase 1 cars, whereas the B4204T5 was fitted on Phase 2 cars. So I am not 100% sure if the wiring etc is exactly the same. I have never tried it, so I don't know.

If I remember correctly, TommyT4 fitted a B4194T2 engine on his Phase 2 car, so it might worth PMing him and see what he says.

Good luck with your project.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 08:19   #60
katatonic

Default Engine swap

Thanks for the help, Gatos. Well the garage has come back to me after I pointed out there may be problems, and they've checked with the Volvo dealer who've told them it's not possible to stick a B4194T2 in my series 2. So they're not going to attempt it: maybe I shouldn't have said anything. I'll keep looking for info but may have to get & import the engine I found in the UK. The car's still worth 6,000 pounds in Thailand!

Last edited by katatonic; Apr 30th, 2015 at 08:43.
katatonic is offline   Reply With Quote